Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
You can use nail polish to create one or more "bumps" in the barrel right where the ball should sit when the marker is cocked. Or just cut one or more thin strips of electrical tape about 1" long and fold them in half over the breech-side lip of the barrel so that when you screw the barrel in the tape is in the aforementioned spot where the ball rests and the "tails" of the tape on the outside of the barrel hold it in place. Tape detents are very temporary, nail polish less so. Phantom detent rings probably will not work (assuming that they fit properly in the breech) - the phantom only loads the ball partially into the barrel, which is why the rings work in that particular gun, and I'm pretty sure the sterling bolt will push the ball past them.
I just took some quick measurements and it does not appear that the bolt pushes the ball into the breech of the barrel. It appears to be sitting about 3/8" behind that point. So it seems that the Phantom detent rings may actually work. Placing nail polish into the STP body may actually be the best solution.

Brad McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive
Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

In all seriousness, if I were you I wouldn't spend another dime or an ounce of effort on anything else before simply getting a tighter bored barrel or one that can use sizers (perhaps a TechT I-Fit?). Beyond partial rollouts, paintballs are never perfectly round so even if you do have paint that's nearly .690, you will get a different velocity from ball to ball depending on how they land in the breech. If the seam aligns with the barrel walls you will get a tight fit, if it doesn't, you'll get a loose fit. With pumps and closed-bolt guns underboring by a few thousandths is always the best way to go. If a tighter barrel doesn't work then and only then would I bother trying to go with a different tank or spending money on a secondary regulator.
Jay AKA Rogue Reservoir Dogs Scenario Paintball Team- Our $#&* is RIGOROUS!
My Gear For SALE!
Check Out My Mod Threads : Pirate DSG - SA17 Mods - Simple/Cheap/Free TPX Mods - The 'Big Damn Hero' DRV
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply » Paintball » The Armory » Sterling