mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

New STP velocity is all over the place

I've been having some issues with velocity stability on my brand new Arrow Precision Sterling STP (non stock class version). I'm using a new Ninja 13 cubic inch tank (compressed air). The barrel is a Palmers brass (.690). I have 3 days of playing on the marker...so I've probably shot about 2000-2500 rounds so far. Yesterday when I played I had to turn the velocity all the way up to get it around 260-270 fps. I'd say the velocity was varying +/- 15 fps. A few hours later the velocity suddenly jumped up over 300. I turned it down and played for a few games. Then it was really low again and I had to crank it back up.

This doesn't seem right to me. I would think a marker of this quality would have much better shot to shot consistency. Is this normal? What could be causing the widely varying performance? Could it simply be a poor paint to barrel match? Can anyone recommend any aftermarket upgrades to help stabilize the velocity?

thanks,
Brad
Brad McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to oldironmudder

I would put my money on the fact your running a .690 barrel & I have seen any paint over .687 in a good while. Atleast matching it will help. As for it going down then back up, that might be the tank reg. Condition of it & output pressure? The only thing I can think of that would help beside paint/barrel matching is another regulator after the tank reg & sweet spotting the HPR to the marker. Or just sweet spotting the gun to the output of the tank reg.

Crossroads Paintball Field - Clarksville, Arkansas 5.5 miles from I40

Arkansas Paintball Exchange <-BST for Arkansas & surrounding states
oldironmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was looking at the Palmer's Stabilizers. Someone on the field actually used one of these with his older Sterling and claimed to have good results.

I emailed Mark at Arrow Precision and he said that the STP's are designed for CO2 use, but was going to look into for me. Does that seem right?

Brad
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

You've also got a crapload of break-in to get through. Brand new STP, brand new Ninja tank. That's a lot of orings and springs to get happy. Between that and the overboring, you could easily see 30fps difference shot to shot.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

(off topic) Do they make right-feed bodies for the newer STP Sterling?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

No. The STP's are all centerfeed. The Bronzes are all right feed.

I guess you could swap bodies, but for some reason the factory won't sell them like that.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

With that barrel I'd guess you're getting partial rollouts. If you don't have access to something with a tighter bore, I'd try nailpolish or electrical tape "detents" to keep the ball from rolling down the barrel before you fire.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12439

My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com
Dave Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
You've also got a crapload of break-in to get through. Brand new STP, brand new Ninja tank. That's a lot of orings and springs to get happy. Between that and the overboring, you could easily see 30fps difference shot to shot.
That's good to know. How much break-in should I expect?

I, too, wish they offered a right-feed body (and with a sight rail). I'm hoping someone offers one eventually.

Dave--that's a good point about the detent. I just tested the paint to barrel match and sure enough, the balls roll right out. It's amazing how the obvious things can escape you. So now my question is: what are some easy ways to fix that besides only using large bore paint? You mentioned using nail polish or electrical tape. Do I simply make a little "bump" in the breech of the barrel?

I noticed that CCI makes a detent ring for the Phantom. Would that work here?

thanks guys,
Brad

Last edited by Brad McGowan; 05-23-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

You can use nail polish to create one or more "bumps" in the barrel right where the ball should sit when the marker is cocked. Or just cut one or more thin strips of electrical tape about 1" long and fold them in half over the breech-side lip of the barrel so that when you screw the barrel in the tape is in the aforementioned spot where the ball rests and the "tails" of the tape on the outside of the barrel hold it in place. Tape detents are very temporary, nail polish less so. Phantom detent rings probably will not work (assuming that they fit properly in the breech) - the phantom only loads the ball partially into the barrel, which is why the rings work in that particular gun, and I'm pretty sure the sterling bolt will push the ball past them.

I'd play around with the tape or nail polish and see if it helps out. If so, start looking for a smaller bore barrel or see if it is possible to get someone to bore your stock barrel for freak inserts. You also may be able to send in your PPS barrel for them to add wedgits.

Good Luck!

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12439

My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com
Dave Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to oldironmudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I was looking at the Palmer's Stabilizers. Someone on the field actually used one of these with his older Sterling and claimed to have good results.

I emailed Mark at Arrow Precision and he said that the STP's are designed for CO2 use, but was going to look into for me. Does that seem right?

Brad

Palmer regs are great. Ive used them for years without problems. Even have a pair on my Intimidator that Im building.

When I was looking at buying a new Sov3, Mark said they could either be set up for air or Co2 & it was all in the springs. Going off of that, I would assume Sterlings are the same.

Crossroads Paintball Field - Clarksville, Arkansas 5.5 miles from I40

Arkansas Paintball Exchange <-BST for Arkansas & surrounding states
oldironmudder is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sterling