mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Sterling (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sterling/)
-   -   Looking for recomendations - experiences on barrels (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sterling/236139-looking-recomendations-experiences-barrels.html)

steeltoe 06-22-2013 07:02 AM

Looking for recomendations - experiences on barrels

Hi
I got a message from Mike saying my new Sterling is in the mail and according to the tracking info it should be arriving next week so now I am starting to look for a barrel - barrel kit.

First of all, will all kits fit the pump handle?
I can get a freak kit, CP fronts and backs, JJ edge elite full kit 8 pices from stores in Sweden, other kits will have to be orderd from the US/ abroad.

Does anybody have any experience and or recomendations on barrel kits and why you did choose the one you are using. Quality issues, ease of use etc.

I have read up on the testing, seen a lot of youtube stuff on barrels, over- underboring etc

Regards Jonas

turbowagonman 06-22-2013 08:00 AM

I have 2 different Freak Kits, the barrel back will fit inside of the Pump Handle with plenty of room. I'm not sure about the Dye Barrel backs with Spyder Threads but the ones I have (Cocker Thread) are .991" and the ID of the pump handle is 1.088" so I'd imagine they would work as well.

Hope that helps

James_Blond 06-23-2013 02:32 PM

my old style freak back won't fit inside my sterling pump handle. You would just have to sand the handle out a little bit to make it work well.

You could get the stock barrel bored for freak inserts. Or find a nice ported barrel of whatever flavor you want and get it bored as well. I would think that would be more economical than buying a new freak kit, but don't know what prices you are looking at where you are.

crawler78 06-26-2013 11:10 AM

my dye barrel fits but watch there spyder threads. they dont work well. mine will not thread all the way in. need a tap n dye to sort as i really want to use it!!!

ICON 06-26-2013 11:15 AM

Python or IFit Kit Love them both made by the same guy. I think they will fit also.

JaKaL 06-26-2013 01:08 PM

The edge kits I've seen are very very nice. Freak kits seem to be the most common across all guns but the only experience I have with sp backs and sterlings involves them NOT fitting. Having a barrel freak bored seems like a valid option for you, especially considering older sterling barrels have cavernously big ID's.

crawler78 06-27-2013 05:17 AM

my freak fits my new sterlings with ease. as do my dye, sanchez, and my CF barrels.

THE-SHOOTIST 06-27-2013 06:33 PM

Palmer's.
With "Wedgits".
Single row porting.
That is all......................

oldironmudder 06-28-2013 09:00 PM

Brass lined aluminum from way back when that is freak bored for brass inserts.

JaKaL 06-30-2013 03:42 PM

My experience is all with older sterlings...