mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Long time Sterling fans.

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a sterling. I wanted to see how they worked. The Nelson stacked tube design intrigued me. I've long been a CCI fan and thought I might check out the Sterling STP. Very cool! I love how it feels.

Couple of questions, however, I have noticed in the picture section several gas through grip Sterlings. It looks like my grip has the ability for one but I have know idea where I could buy the parts for one. Ideas?

The gas through grip and Asa how do they work? Mostly looking for a picture of it taken apart.

Thanks for your help MCB friends.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Old school from way back!

I'd contact Mike Taitt for the parts (he's in various posts throughout the "Sterling" threads). I have 2 STP's with the Gas Through Grip. Later on tonight I'll break mine down and post some pics for you with both the regular ASA and the VASA.
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowagonman View Post
I'd contact Mike Taitt for the parts (he's in various posts throughout the "Sterling" threads). I have 2 STP's with the Gas Through Grip. Later on tonight I'll break mine down and post some pics for you with both the regular ASA and the VASA.

Thanks man! I found a bottom line Asa on eBay. It should be in later this week. If I can order the stainless steel tubing for a reasonable cost through Mike I will. I may just bend the one I have if it looks doable.

I seriously had no idea STP Sterlings were a stacked tube Nelson. So cool! I would have bought one a long time ago.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNuke View Post
Thanks man! I found a bottom line Asa on eBay. It should be in later this week. If I can order the stainless steel tubing for a reasonable cost through Mike I will. I may just bend the one I have if it looks doable.
Sorry I didn't have a chance to tear my gun down and take some pics last night, I will have a chance tonight after the person stops by to pick up the snowmobile I sold him last night.

Quote:
I seriously had no idea STP Sterlings were a stacked tube Nelson. So cool! I would have bought one a long time ago.
I've had one of my Sterling's since the early to mid 90's for that reason. Because of the design that's the reason I have 4 of them now 2 Proline's and 2 Arrow Precision's.

How's the valve body on your gun, does the air enter through the side or the back? In order to make the Gas Through Grip I the air has to enter through the side so you can add a Q-Nector. I'll explain a little more in depth once I have pics to reference.
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Air fitting connects on the side. It looks like the valve has been tapped for two holes so I can rotate the valve a little down at a 45 ish or parallel to the valve. I get some pictures tonight.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll show a few pictures here but I'll put a link to my album of this at the bottom.

Here is the line going into the q-nector:

You loosen the "Bungee Screw" (thru the q-nector) and the 2 thumb screws then separate the frame from the body:

After removing the ASA your have to loosen the top plate on the frame and move it out of the way to pull the line out:

Here is the album with 17 pictures:

Gas Through Grip Photos by turbowagonman | Photobucket

Last edited by turbowagonman; 01-29-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

You could even go with a Vertical ASA:

And when I want to use my Sterling Stock Class (minus the ASA):

Old 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Very helpful. Thank you!!
It looks like at a minimum I need a q-nector.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Very helpful. Thank you!!
It looks like at a minimum I need a q-nector.
Does your frame spacer have the notch out in it for the hard line to go through?

That's why I posted pictures of the VASA because if your frame spacer doesn't have the notch in it you could get away with just running a regular ASA and have some macro line going into the VASA.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Long time Sterling fans.

Turbowagonman. Your pictures were extremely helpful thanks again. I used your photos to figure out how AP usually runs the gas through lines and made what I had work.

I used the line that ran to the VASA to run it through the grip. I had to cut the hard line down a little but it worked. I bent relatively easy. I then used a rubber gasket from CCI's hard line instead of AP's double (aluminum parts) stacked system. The gasket is easier to work with for what I had to do. I don't have a q-nector and I have no idea when I can get one so I used the fittings and line I had. It looks a little funny but it works and I happy until I can order the right hard line and q-nector. Very cool little marker. Here is a picture.

Last edited by SilentNuke; 01-31-2014 at 01:18 AM.
SilentNuke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sterling