mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Sterling pump....could use some help

Just picked this up off a guy on Craigslist for $30 here locally in knoxville area. Didn't fire when i first picked it up.
So i took it apart , lubed the o-rings and i'm guessing where you turn the velocity up it just wasn't catching the sear. When i took it out to fire it kept blowing air up the breach and into the feed tube. I also noticed air blowing down on my hand when i pumped the gun. Any guess what is happening or where i should start. Also here is a pic of it. I know little to nothing about them, but hey thats the way i like to find markers. I love old markers that ppl throw away.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
If I lived just a little closer, I would have picked this up a few weeks back. Nice to see someone on here grabbed it though.

Also, it was good playing with you at Hiatts recently. You picked up the hammer 7 from my buddy.

Subscribed!

And my feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
GanonsGrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Old school from way back!

What you have there is a Proline Sterling, there is no external velocity adjustment on those. The way you adjust the velocity is via different springs or an external regulator if you put one on (that's the way both of my Proline's are set up). When you say "When i took it out to fire it kept blowing air up the breach and into the feed tube" is that only when you are pumping it and it's at it's farthest most point back or does it do it only when you pull the trigger?

You also said "I also noticed air blowing down on my hand when i pumped the gun" now is that only when you are pumping it?

These guns are not supposed to "cock" unless you have an air tank on it, does yours do that? The reason I ask is you may have to light of a spring combo in the gun meaning there is not enough spring pressure to hold the valve closed and when the hammer is coming back to it's furthest most position it's pushing the valve back a little allowing air to get by.
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

usually air blowing down on the grip hand means your spacer seal is gone/bad or the spacer rail may be overtightened to the trigger frame creating a bad seal. Its the only place air can go down from the body of the gun so it would be my guess.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Thanks Ganos, yeah got the hammer 7 for my son, but i think its too long of a marker for him, its kinda awkward when he pumps it, not like my empire sniper. so i'm back on the pump hunt for him.

Turbo
"When i took it out to fire it kept blowing air up the breach and into the feed tube"
yes when i would pull the pump arm back, air would blow. I thought i had the bolt fixed at the correct location(like cockers), but the balls still would fall so i backed out the pump arm one more turn.

"I also noticed air blowing down on my hand when i pumped the gun"
It seems to only do this once the trigger is pulled.

It does cock with no air to it, but could this be because i have the hammer catch to far to the rear of the pump to hammer linkage?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfear View Post
Turbo
"When i took it out to fire it kept blowing air up the breach and into the feed tube"
yes when i would pull the pump arm back, air would blow. I thought i had the bolt fixed at the correct location(like cockers), but the balls still would fall so i backed out the pump arm one more turn.
The bolt has nothing to do with when the air is released. I know I tried to make my Proline as light of a pump stroke as my Arrow Precision so I put some really light springs in and the gun would cock without air, which is the reason I asked. If you adjusted your sear (I'm not sure if that's what the fixed piece on the end of the center rod is called but that's what I'm referring to) that could be causing this because when you cock the gun it is depressing the valve a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfear View Post
"I also noticed air blowing down on my hand when i pumped the gun"
It seems to only do this once the trigger is pulled.

It does cock with no air to it, but could this be because i have the hammer catch to far to the rear of the pump to hammer linkage?
James_Blond described the reason this may be happening. If you look on the plate that goes in between the body and grip frame there should be at least an O-Ring in there. I know I had an O-Ring blow out there so what I did was take a thin piece of rubber and used a punch to make it the correct diameter and put that in between the body and grip frame and I stopped loosing air between those 2 pieces.
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

ok, i have a couple old springs worth playing with to cut down and give it a try and yeah i didn't even notice the plate between the body and grip frame. I'll check that out as well.

Thanks everyone
Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the spring combo I have in one of my Proline Sterling's (with a Palmers Female Stabilizer to control the pressure). When I get home I'll take some pictures of the O-Ring and the Rubber piece I used to fix the leak between the Grip Frame and the body.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I thought one of my guns had an O-Ring but they both have a piece of rubber in between the grip frame and body. I have heard that people just used a double layer of electrical tape in a pinch. I've never tried it but if you need to finish the day out I'd give it a try.

Here's a picture of both and you can see which one I replaced.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sterling