mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-29-2017, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
UnSon of WALZ

Sterling barrel threads

I remember discovering that sterlings are spyder threaded or sterling threaded, but I just acquired a sterling that doesn't seem to match either. Is there such thing as an old and new style sterling threads?
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ole' Papa Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtuana View Post
I remember discovering that sterlings are spyder threaded or sterling threaded, but I just acquired a sterling that doesn't seem to match either. Is there such thing as an old and new style sterling threads?
Yes there is, when Arrow Precision took over they made the threads (Sterling threads) deeper so an old Sterling barrel, pre 1999, will not fit in an AP Sterling threaded body circa 1999-2000. Now, I have a Smart Parts Tear Drop barrel that I picked up mid-90's and it will fit into both bodies but the OE Sterling barrels will not fit into the couple of Sterling Threaded bodies I have, but an AP Sterling barrel will fit into the original Sterling bodies.

Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 10 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantoms for SC, a CCM SS-25, a PGP and a Sovereign 3.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
UnSon of WALZ

Thanks turbo wagon man. Here is an image of the sterling. It seems to be majorly different from what I thought regular sterling threads were.

Are you a Cummins fan by chance?

Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pump

I sent that blue Sterling to Walz. I had a old old stock Sterling barrel I tried to fit on it and it would not go. Sent it away before my Palmer's barrels arrived. The Palmer's should fit. The blue one is definitely Sterling threaded.

I was a little sad to trade that gun (and everything else in that haul, including a purple splash Sterling), but the Sterling I got out of it was worth it. The blue one shoots great. I believe the dye barrel is raptor threaded.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ole' Papa Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtuana View Post
Are you a Cummins fan by chance?
Back in the late 90's when I was building my first Pinto Station Wagon with a Turbo 2.3 I made "turbowagonman" my name on a Ford Pinto forum and I've just been using that handle ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grw4w34 View Post
I believe the dye barrel is raptor threaded.
I would agree, I've thrown a couple on my lathe and turned them to fit into a Proline Sterling (if photobucket wasn't holding my pictures hostage I could put a picture of a comparison) and with all of my Sterling threaded barrels the threads go almost to the top of the shank whereas that barrel has some space between the threads and the "seat" of the barrels that meets with the body.

Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 10 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantoms for SC, a CCM SS-25, a PGP and a Sovereign 3.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sterling