mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Super_Stanchy Customs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/super_stanchy-customs/)
-   -   Barrel Boring Question. Please Vote! (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/super_stanchy-customs/185216-barrel-boring-question-please-vote.html)

super_stanchy 12-14-2011 01:23 PM

Barrel Boring Question. Please Vote!

Plain and simple, should i start putting oring groove(s) in the barrels i bore.

This way the inserts have a more snug fit, without ever being too big or too small (tight/wobble)

I would have to invest in tooling (pricey)
I would have to buy a TON of orings (not too bad, but an expense)
I would have to test it out a few times, risk scrappng barrels/material (time/cost)

SO....

Do you guys want me to start?

Im estimating a price increase of
$5 for 1 groove, with #018 oring
$7.50 for 2 grooves, with #018 orings (what DW uses)

This is gonna slow me down if i have to look into it
This will only be available for some of the barrels i do (UL, Kaner, Bigger OD'd barrels)

Wont work on phantoms, tpx, t8 or any other .875" OD Barrel

Thoughts?

D3adpool 12-14-2011 02:03 PM

Same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2124414)
Why an o-ring groove? I like your work as-is. Why mess with perfection?

CrazyRuskii 12-14-2011 02:05 PM

While it would be interesting to see you do this, I vote that it ain't broke so don't fix it.

russc 12-14-2011 02:23 PM

I haven't bought a Freaked barrel from you, but what I do is add a light ring of nail polish inside the barrel to add some friction. O-rings seem like a solution looking for a problem.

brycelarson 12-14-2011 02:49 PM

my assumption was always that SP did it in the freak so that they could machine the backs to poorer tolerances and still have them functional. dunno, having bored barrels this seems like it might be more work than it's worth.

Exdee 12-14-2011 05:42 PM

Works fine on the barrels you've done for me, and the nail polish russc suggested sounds like it would give the insert a snug fit anyway.

808Jackal 12-14-2011 06:03 PM

Mine fit perfect, no need for change. I'll try the nail polish too. It works for stock phantom barrels and paint

Zepulkinator 12-14-2011 06:05 PM

I say yes. I can't tell you how many times my clumsy self as turned the barrel upside down and the freak insert fell out. I've ruined a few of them doing that.

Titus 12-14-2011 06:06 PM

Leave it alone

MaD 12-14-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycelarson (Post 2124475)
my assumption was always that SP did it in the freak so that they could machine the backs to poorer tolerances and still have them functional. dunno, having bored barrels this seems like it might be more work than it's worth.

Actually if you read the patent it's to allow room for the expansion of the barrel insert.... but yeah that's obviously a bunch of horse poo.

Stanchy,
I'm not personally a fan of plain old bored barrels. It really has nothing to do with your boring skills (you're at the top of my list if I were to get one done) it's just the crappy tolerances of the inserts. With the 3+ kits I've gone through (as well as SS and brass inserts) I still have a bunch of varying OD's and some stick and others are too loose and pull into the breech in some of my pumps. I've also bought several bored barrels with inserts terribly stuck in them. Because the problems I stick to the o-ringed barrels.

I dunno why the naysayers. I see no reason not to offer it as an option if you can do it well. If they don't want the o-ring grooves then they don't have to get them. Still.... even given my preference I honestly don't think the investment is worth it. Also note that you might be getting into patent infringement territory but since it's just a modification to an existing product (on a small scale) I think you'd be ok.