mcarterbrown.com

Team Blackrain Home of Team Blackrain

Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

KILA Products

I have their detents in one of my Ion's, and they work excellent. I decided to purchase the Red Anodized Screw Kit from KILA Products.

This was going to be the perfect finishing touch to the MIA/POW gun (Which is almost completed).

Well the problem I had was the entire screw set. The screws were to long and I needed button head screws for the custom grips. However in all fairness the box is marked for several different SP/GoG markers.

What I did to rectify this situation (Instead of trashing them on the net),was phone the company direct. I called late,but left a message. The next morning I promptly received a called from a tech,telling me where to send the item for a return and exchange.

The tech was very apologetic for the mistake.

While talking with Rob today ( 6/8/2011) ,I was told that the box should have had a sticker,or the gun type should have been circled. This is a simple mistake. At least KILA Products acknowledge this and apologized for it and the inconvience this may have caused me.
Rob told me my kit should arrive in three days. Well since I'm not 14yrs old and I live in the real world and today is Wed. I expect this around Mon/Tues, latest Wed. It's just the nature of the BEAST and it's how the post office works Processing and getting items ready to ship is atleast a day. I can't hold this against KILA Products won't be there fault. Now if I receive this in 3 days,I will have faith in the postal service

This tells me to keep business with these folks. I plan to buy a few more color screw kits.

Just to mention,this is my first ever transaction with KILA. I just happen to have a pair of detents due to a purchase I made on a forum or ebay and the detents were included.

About the kit I will receive. It will have all the correct screws that I need,plus the frame screws are going to be button heads,due to the type of grips I have on my gun. So I have to give KUDOS to these guys for going the extra step and ensuring I have the correct screws that I need for a successful project

I'm sure after something like this,many people would let a first experience ruin future transactions ( Believe me I haven't bought again from a few places due to crappy service and bad customer service), but I'm not going to let this one ruin it.

My calls were answered and messages returned in timely manner,so no real complaints. I look forward to completeing this review upon completion of my transaction with KILA

So for now I leave this review unfinished, for at least a week

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 06-08-2011 at 10:47 PM.
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
MCB Member

SCOTT Fan System,

While browsing on line trying to chase down the best price I could get on HABER fan system,I stumbled across a Dirt Bike forum. The topic was fan systems for helmets.

Well I started reading this forum and ran across alot of info on the HABER and SCOTT fan system. Besides both being the same system under different names. So I use my Internet FU and started finding price links.

So I hit a link that takes me to Amazon. The fan system have various prices and I look around till I find one for $42.00 + $9.00 shipping out of Texas. Why not take the chance.

The fan system arrived 4 days later and I was kind of looking forward to installing this in my Sly Profit mask.

The Fan:

Iam not sure who makes the Fan System, it's either SCOTT or Haber. I don't care either way. I know both units look familiar and operate the same,only different colors.

Comes apart just like the Haber:

Takes one AAA battery in the same place:

Has the three position setting as well:

OFF:

ON/Delay auto:

Continuious ON:

Let's install this thing.

The Mask:

Installation:

Isn't hard. The two pegs on top move left and right so you can get perfect alignment,well atleast for me. Just simply push up thru vent holes.

Lock in place:

Using provided lock system. Easy to do,just screw the lock system down evenly. One thing I did was make sure that the fan was puished all the way back as far as it would go ,towards the fore head frame portion of the mask.

Should look like this:

This is self explanitory.

Inside look:

Does not obstruct view or vision,does not stop the lens nor interfear with installation.

Ready to go:

Lens is cleaned up and installed. Ready to use for play

My observations so far:

24 June 2011

If you don't like the buzzing of a fan system,such as even a JT fan,you won't like this. Personally the buzzing has nevered bothered me. I don't crawl on the ground and I'm not really that concerned is someone else can hear it. Oh well you get shot,wipe off and come back in on another game.

I personally fogged up my lens and glasses on purpose to see if the fan would kick on. Breathing heavy with the mask on caused this to happen. However I am sorry to say that the glasses still remained fogged,even after the fan turned itself off. To be fair, I did not have any type of "NO FOG" solution on my glasses.

I also tested while the fan was running,what would it do if I took of the mask. Within secs the fan system shut down. I tested pulling the mask away while on my face. I imagine the heat on my face kept the mask warm enough to keep the fan working,once removed it stopped.

I will be using this at the field tomorrow as I plan on playing. I'll add more information as I collect it.

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 03-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #43 (permalink)
MCB Member

APP Jerry Can:

Thanks to Titus and my Sponsor Celanis Paintball for getting these to the MCB crowd. This really caught my eye. I was really interested in buying one of these. I thought they would be unique and noticable on the field. So sit back and follow the review.

I ordered the $23 version,which was just the Jerry Can itself. For $30 you get 5 150rnd pods and a Pod Pal.

For now I am stealing pictures from Titus sale thread:

Titus' APP Products Sales Thread

I'll have my own once I get this in hand and test at during Super Game 42. Why not test it at a big event such as Super Game. How else will you know if it's what I need for the pit crew.

Pit Crew (my Wife) is excited about using this. She's my best info on things we use for the team.

The Jerry Can:

My first impression was "Am I back in the ARMY"? I remember (I'm sure others do as well) Hauling these from vehicle to vehicle during convoys and convoy prep operations. Except they were full of 5 gallons of fuel and sometimes would not seal very well. So fuel would get all over you at times.

I doubt I'll mind hauling this item around with me. It is MUCH SMALLER than it's Older Brother and Sister and doesn't hold anything flammable

I'll be looking for clean lines,excess flashing and any defect I can find during the first inspection. Trust me if it's there,I'll find it and write about it. You can't fix it if you don't know what's broken
However it's an APP Product,so I expect nothing but near perfection as with all their products

If you are really into the Milsim scene or looking for props to use,or just looking for that "Unique AMMO Depot" for large teams,this is for you.

What's inside:

If you order the deluxe version,you get 5-150 rnd pods and a pod holder. Not a bad deal for $30 (S/H not included). I look at this as an excellent starter kit for those wanting a ball hauler with extras.

I think this kit would be topped of with a Pod funnel loader, also from Celanis Paintball:

How does it work:

The Jerry can itself will not only hold 5 pods, but once they are removed, it will hold 1000+ rounds paintballs. That's over a half case to load and then store the next 1000+ rounds at the ready.

I was able to put in an entire case, but it becomes difficult to load. This is due to the weight of the balls coming down on each other and not having any room to move around. Imagine over loading a hopper, it's the same effect. So we just put in 1500 rnds and it worked fine. That was one of the only problems we had with loading.

Another problem we had,were the last few rounds in the bottom. They just didn't want to come out. It's nice that we have the big mouth lid on the top so we could remove them out of the container. However I have this same issue with another pod loader I have. So it's not an uncommon issue I have.

It's really nothing to complain about, especially if your really a mature person. I'm sure there will be someone out there that will throw a complete fit over a few paintballs. As for me it doesn't bother me. Just a few seconds to take off the lid and grab the remaining paintballs.

How well does it perform:

I used this in combination with another item. I always have atleast a full case of 2000 rnds loaded at the ready. This is how I refit during big events.

The pit crew (my Wife) seemed very happy with the Jerry Can. It was very easy for her to grip and she liked the lids. It was very easy for her to load the pods,especially the 100 rnd APP pods. It was just put the can mouth inside the pod and pour till it was full. Then slowly tip back the can to prevent spilling of paintballs.

It's just that simple.

My personal thoughts:

It's not a hard item to use. It's so simple that a half wit could learn to use it within the first few pods. However this is paintball and we have those less than half wits that only use brand names,no matter how bad the item works or performs. They will throw a fit if it doesn't work the way they want it to. Me personally I'm into quality,and that's what APP has been providing to this sport for many yrs.

Tough products that can be abused and keep working no matter what.

Due to it being square, it was much easier to pack in my gear bag. It allowed me to lay more stuff under or over the flat surface. Everyone I showed this to, liked it alot. Sometimes first hand experience is what gets the sales.

As for me,this will remain in my gear for field use for a long time. I don't see it wearing down anytime soon. It will probably be stolen before it brakes down

Issues I found:

As mentioned and with all my reviews, I said I would find flaws. I looked for excess flashing,and could not find any. I looked for warpping and could not find any. There was no discoloration (I would like to see these in many colors or mixed colors). The lids were perfect and held on exactly how they were suppose to,TIGHT!!!!

So what did I find? Well it's something that I'm sure is found in alot of blow molded items, "Thin spots" They could be seen while doing an internal inspection. If my nails were long enough,I could have probably pushed thru.

Was I mad? Nope,because it wasn't going to interfear with what I needed it for during the weekend. Eventually it would become a problem.

So the following Tuesday when I returned from Oregon, I gave APP a call. I spoke with Mark Traum and told him the issues I had. Once he explained the process of blow molding and pressures, it helped me understand how this problem could happen. I was probably the one out off 1500 that this happened to. It's not an uncommon problem in blow molding.

So off to APP it goes for a replacement. That's customer service,that's quality service. There was no arguing, no trying to say it was my fault, or that APP wasn't liable. It was just a straight up, "We'll take care of the problem".

Mark was a very nice person to talk with. We discussed how well the Jerry Can worked and what issues it had. How many paintballs I loaded into it and how well it fed. He seemed happy with the feed back.

I'll update this when the item returns

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 07-21-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
MCB Member

For the record, this review and clothing abuse, took place at Ikego Paintball field. This field is located in Japan. Why not it's just a good as place as any

I am not sponsored by RAP4

RAP4 8 Color Desert Camo BDU

RAP4 - Real As Possible

In other words it's Multi Cam pattern that does not have the multicam logo. Well I don't care These are a copy/replica of what our Country Fighting Force is wearing over seas, and that's good enough for me

I finally got a chance to test these pants today (19 November 2011) after all,they have just been sitting around since Aug 2011.

I'm a BDU cut person. Sorry to say,but paintball pants don't cut it and I'm tired of getting a size that is either TO BIG or has an extra 3 FT of leg on it.

It might be AGG or what's in style, sorry it's just not me. Any company that makes a good BDU cut pant is getting my cash everytime. Because they all have this thing called a SIZING CHART that tells me the waist size, leg leangth and inseam.

I paid $20 for these shipped (Sale price at the time). I had looked around for Multi Cam wear and actually bought a pair of Twill Multi Cam pants. Found them at a decent price, but not what I wanted (To hot for me to wear), even though they were BDU cut.

Most Multi Cam gear is expensive. Unless you have a sponsor or a decent paying job, you just aren't going to get the high end stuff most players drool over. I did not let that stop me, and went forward with the search to find a decent quality set.

Then I read Jaan's review:

Rap4 BDU pants

An excellent price that I could not pass up. I'm cheap, well real cheap. Reading this review made me want to buy some and call up RAP4 to ask questions about them. I still wasn't convinced.

At first I wasn't to sure on ordering $15 pants, then I got a first hand look at the pants during a Super Game event. I liked the way they felt and it was "HOT AS HELL" that day. When I asked about buying some, I was told they had sold out of that particular size and color scheme. Dammit !!!! I was a little upset. So I paid in advance and had these shipped to my house when the pants arrived at the shop.

I did not order the pants from RAP4, I ordered the pants from:

Extreme Velocity $5 Shipping on Spyder Paintball, Tactical Tippmann

EVpaintball is a RAP4 distributor. Plus they take the time to set up a vendors booth at all Super Game events:

Supergame

That in itself is worth the decision to buy from EVpaintball.

So let's get back to the pants. They are Rip Stop, which is one of the reasons I bought them, I wear Rip Stop all year long if I can. I like that they had a Multi Cam Pattern. The pants have alot of pockets (pics coming soon) and they are a BUD cut (see reason above why I don't use paintball pants).

The Waist Draw String, was kind of a turn off for me at first. I was used to the side adjustment tabs
(my mind has changed) . The thing about a string was just a little mind boggeling. That soon changed. I put on the pants and adjusted the waist draw string to where I wanted it to be. It was simple and not a major task.

NOTE:

(I actually had plans of removing the string and replacing with side tabs. Never mind,that idea is long gone)

End results was a perfect waist adjustment and my pants stayed in one place all day long. Around my waist where they belonged. So any negative impression/comments I have given/said in past about the Waist Draw String, I am Man enough to admit I am/was wrong.

These pants are also a button fly:

The pants also had the draw strings at the end of the legs. Now some reason many yrs ago,there was a reason for these,and the Military still uses them. That reason is for boot blouseing. You know what,I use cleats and leg wraps to keep the lower legs in place.

The choice is up to you to keep them,remove them, cut them, or use them for their intended purpose. Mine will be staying where they are. 21-1/2 yrs of Military service and I never found a need for them.

These pants have pockets. Some I can't even figure out what they are for Actually the two small leg pockets can come in handy for storage of small items. The extra small pockets make these look good, and gives it that "Operator look" that the young woods ball players are looking for. For me I haven't figured out a use for them yet and probably never will.

The front pockets where a little tight for my hands,but I was able to reach in and out of them with very little difficulty. This might be part of the "Pant's Design", I'll have to ask the VETS who actually used this design in real world situations. Maybe they can chime in and enlighten us all

I really liked the Slanted Pockets. I was able to slip stuff in and out of them all day long without issues or worries it would come open while I was running around in the woods or going up and down hills. I was carrying over a $100 dollars in that pocket through out the day. The velcro held it closed without issues. Never once did I worry about them item falling out.

The slanted side pockets are an AWESOME improvment over the old style BDU cut. Very user friendly
Someone finally listened to the Soldier and designed it right!

I was very impressed with the knee reenforcement covers/foam insert area. Since I am short leg challenged, I can never get the knee area to line up properly for me (That's why I use a knee/shin guard combo). If the knee area did line up properly,there is a full lower velcro area that opens up and allows for knee padding to be slipped in with ease.

I'm just going to say that the washing instructions will not be working for these. I abused these pants BAD today (19 Nov 2011). The rain was so bad it was blocking vision and the mud was AWESOME. I knelt in it, slid down it and also slid down a hill that had rocks,big rocks.

I don't have any busted seams as of now. I'll have to see once the mud is washed away I am positive, the seams will be in the same condition, as they were when I received the pants from EVpaintball.

So far they are very rugged and well made. The double seat reenforcement was put to good use today These are an excellent budget buyers pants with a high quality look, feel and dependability.

You have to look careful,but there is a hill and a trail. I'll try and get a better picture at a later date. For now here is an older picture. This was the hill I slid down.

My personal thoughts:

To some people it's all about price. To some it's all about a brand name. Money is tight and we all have to look for the most bangs for our bucks. I think I found that with these pants. Eventually the material will wear and holes or seams will start showing or busting. That's just the nature of the beast with military pants or any other pants.

I'm not "Super Man" sliding in these, I'm just to old for that. So I am positive these will last longer than other players pants. They can be repaired as I do with all mine. I will get my $20+ out of these pants

I'll probably get maybe 2-3 good yrs out of these pants. I'll just have to see and keep updating this review as time goes on.

I think RAP4 hit it right with these pants as far as durability, wear and style goes. As I mentioned before,I'll take a properly fitting BDU cut over paintball pants anytime.

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 07-21-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #45 (permalink)
MCB Member

The Starter Cleat

The below description will tell you more about the shoe then I can.

Manufactors description:

Starter - Men's Game Time Mid Top Cleats

Starter Mens Game Time Mid Top Cleats are shoes designed for practicing sports like football and baseball. The design is meant for men and the color of the shoes adds attraction with a combination of black and white. The Mens football shoes have black color lace with good traction support.

The midsole of these mid top football cleats are very durable and comfortable with ethylene vinyl acetate EVA technology. The outer sole is made of rubber which gives superior traction control. The black football cleats provide safety to sportsmen with the anti microbial shield. This shield safeguards them against fungus and bacteria and also controls odor. This Starter Mens Game Time Mid Top Cleats comes in six medium sizes starting from size 7 to size 12.

Why did I buy these:

While getting ready for a trip to Japan, I was browsing my local Walmart for needed items I needed for my trip. I had made several trips to Japan prior and knew what the local paintball field terrain was like.

Lots of hills and rocks in certain areas. This time I wasn't going to loose my footing or slide trying to go up a hill. So I decided to buy some cleats.

I know many paintball brand cleats are made, but I just didn't have time to order any, nor was I going to pay the over inflated price. I've yet to find a tactical boot with cleats, so what was in front of me was what I had to work with.

I tried using JT cleats at one time in all my playing yrs, but they were to tight and hurt my feet. That is the bad thing about mail order, not being able to try an item on before you buy.

A frind of mine had told me about the Starter cleat last yr, it was either something that slipped my mind, or I never got around to trying a pair on.

I decided to try them on just for a "check it out thing".

My first impression was that they fit very well and I had plenty of foot room Big plus for me. So I laced them up and and walked around in them.

For $20 dollar cleats, these were really comfortable and well fitted.

Now to get an idea of the terrain I was going to play,here are a few pictures:

Steep I know,but there is also some flat land as well.

What did I like about these cleats besides the fit? I like how they grabbed. It was raining and very wet/muddy on the day I was playing. We all know what happens on wet/muddy terrain. You slip, fall down and loose that great shot, get shot or hurt yourself.

Cleats don't always prevent is, but on this day these cleats did just that. I felt very comfortable using these. My footing for once was solid and firm on the ground and hill sides. I was able to climb what hills I did with little to no effort.

Previous trip, I was sliding everywhere and loosing footing and ground. Nothing sucks worse then not having traction.

Well, I have rectified that problem.

Here are a few shots of what the cleats looked like after their first outting.

A look at the bottom of the cleat:

They are just around the inner edge of the shoe sole and not thru out the entire bottom.

I felt these cleats did the job I wanted them too. I'll BEAT THE HELL out of them for a while longer, or atleast till they are no longer of service to me. For $20 you can't beat the price, fit, or useability. Sure they aren't the expensive paintball brands that you see alot of players wearing, but for the price of on pair I can buy atleast 4 pair and get the same if not longer use.

This is just my opinion. I'm a real cheap person and like keeping my money in my wallet for something nicer. Maybe one day someone will make a "TACTICOOL" cleat boot. For now this is what I have to use. Who knows,maybe I'll find a set of JT high top cleats that actually will fit my wide foot.

Until then, it's Walmart shoe dept for me.

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 11-22-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #46 (permalink)
MCB Member

Celanis Paintball new store front link:

Celanis Paintball

New store on MCB and the World Wide Net of paintball. Now to us Titus is a well known person here. We all know him. He's helped many of us out with 3rd party trading and shipping to Canada.

He was and still is (at the time of this writting) Team Black Rain's first ever sponsor. He is a supporter of American made products. All products sold are top quality.

He will go out of his way to make your buy a great one. This is a small business that needs everyones support.

So visit his site and order up.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 AM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

This is not completed. I hear not alot of people like this mask because of the look and company. but I have to see for myself. You guys know me, I don't believe anyone

UPDATES:

16 Dec 2011

I have unpacked the mask and helmet. I have already noticed the helmet is to small. I've contacted the folks I bought this from and they are ordering me a large for exchange. That's excellent customer service.

The mask fits well, but the ear foam could use some improvement. I'll post pictures later.

31 Dec 2011:

I am becoming quite impressed with this goggle system. There were several people fogging up. I have yet to even get a hint of fogging. I've been shot in the mask and lens several times without damage. Breathing/air flow is still going strong. So far I have had only good results.

4 Feb 2012:

So today I tried once again to try and fog the Hawkeye Tactical. It has to be the foam that is the secret. I was sweating in about 55 deg temp today (In Japan). Small breeze. In 25 yrs of playing I have never had a mask that would not fog.
Tomorrow my Sunday your Saturday, I will conduct the shower test. I have a 6x8 bathroom. I will sit inside it with the door closed,turn on a hot water shower and sit in there for about 15 mins to see how long it takes to fog the mask. If this doesn't do it, I don't know what will. More to report later.

5 Feb 2012:

So I have some results from shower steam. I tested the hawkeye mask in my bathroom with hot steamy shower. I put the mask on to see how long it would take to fog up the lens. now to be fair, the test was conducted in a very small room. I have yet to be in a room under these conditions while playing paintball. I just got frustrated because I could not fog this goggel system up during normal playing conditions.

Room Size:
47in-1/2 wide x 70in-1/2 long x 82 in high

Japanese bathrooms are not very big in economy housing. I began the test at 6:05 pm. After a min the mirror started to fog. At 9 mins after the lens began to fog. I was still able to read item and see clear. At 10 after I turned off the water and walked into the next room. The mask began to clear almost instantly. Not a breeze in sight.

As you can see in the photos the bathroom is very small. As far as I'm concerned these are a great set of goggels and I plan to continue using this system for a very long time. I'm not trying to be a fan boy,I'm just a player looking for a set of goggels that won't fog up

I still have a lot of testing to do in other types of enviroments. This is just my over seas testing. I'll have more results as the Spring and Summer months approach.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAP4 Hawkeye Tactical Goggle:

Real Action Paintball

I decided to puchase the Tan version. I have or had to many black mask in the past. Need a little color We all know that black is like a solor battery and just absorbes heat.

Product description from RAP4:

RAP4 Hawkeye paintball goggle and tactical helmet package comes ready for tactical paintball. The helmet provides your back and top protection with comfort. You can remove the helmet with a snap with out hindrance. The Hawkeye goggle provide wide clear view with anti-fog protection. This goggle package has all the elements to keep you protected in the game.

The RAP4 Hawkeye paintball goggle is designed with these key features:
- 190 Wide Angle view for better peripheral vision
- Flexible Cheek Protector for comfort and better aiming
- Head Strap to keep goggle from falling down
- Chin Strap to keep goggle safely in place
- Dual Lens with Anti-Fog Treatment
- Compatible with helmets
- ASTM Tested

Mask and Helmet combo:

I purchased the combination of these two items, because:

1- It looks Tacticool (bet you never thought you would hear me say that).

2- I liked the way it looked and the features it has.

3- The helmet to mask combo is perfect. I like this style of helmet (I know skate board helmet), low profile, lite weight and I can have it hydrographed at a later date.

4- Because everyone said it sucked. This usually means most people don't know what they are talking about , because half the time it's just second and third hand information. Those who have first hand info, I tend to run with it and evaluate from there

5- I like that it's one of the only mask you can use with a helmet combination and the company shows it pictured.

The helmet internal:

The picture basically describes what's inside and what it's made of.

Thermal Lens:

Let's see how these work, I bought two sets. I'm not getting caught again without back up lens. It can ruin your game,especially if there isn't a shop for a 1000+ miles.

So here we go again. I've seem to have taken a liking to this goggle system. Reasons are above. You can bet I will put this mask thru the test. I'll beat it down and then beat it some more just for good measures. I want to see how really tactical this system is. RAP4 gets a bad name sometimes and to be honest I have never had an issue with anything I bought from them.

I just wish I could find out the history behind this mask, as in what company actually makes this for them. You can bet your bottom dollar that more pictures are going to follow along with on and off field evaluations.

I'm excited to really get my hands on this piece of equipment. I know a few people have given information on this system, but I just have to see for myself. This might turn into everyday use mask or into a loaner. Never know what I'll do after an evaluation of equipment. As always I will be very honest in my review. Might make some people mad and some happy. Might even get a few of
"THE EXPERTS" that know everything there is about paintball saying "I'm full of it".

So let's see where we go from here.

Mask Feel and quality:

Well whoever said it is rubber is wrong. It has the plastic feel. However RAP4 says it's rubber. Perhaps it's a combination. It seems very durable. I'm positive this mask can take a close up shot at 300 FPS without damage. The feel of the mask is very smooth. Minor feel of mold flashing. No biggy,doesn't harm performance. I've felt flashing on more expensive face masks as well.

Over all no sharp edges around the whole mask.

As written in description, there is flexability in the lower portion of the mask. Not as everyone would think. It wouldn't really be noticable unless it's resting against a butt stock or bottle and I really doubt then. I'll test this out during play. So far this is a decent quality mask.

The upper head strap is adjustable and is comfortable,I can't even tell it's there. The chin strap, to be very honest is on the way out. It's only held in with a peg style pin on each strap.

Lens quality:

The lens quality seems fine. Double pane thermal. I haven't noticed any areas that have or are lifting. The lens seem very durable and match anything out there as far as quality and manufacter standards. They do meet the ANSI specs. The lens are secured very well in the mask. The RAP4 video does not exaggerate on how to pull them out.

The field of view is excellent. 190* is alot field of view. The lens is even a Bubble like form. Kind of like a pilots lens and others that are on the market of other paintball mask. I really like the bubble style lens. Just adds to the view in my opinion. Plus in my opinion allows air to circulate better in the mask. Giving the flow of air something to hit and flow either upwards or down wards causing less chance of fogging. However that is just my opinion.

Helmet and mask feel and fit:

I tried on the mask and helmet. Helmet was a size "M". Way to small for my head and proper fit. It just didn't look like the picture. So I contacted the vendor and they are sending me over a size "L". We'll see how that fits. I'm actually thinking an "XL" would be a better fit. I might have a large helmet in my shop to try out.

The mask fit well, but I didn't like the feel of the ear pads. They are just two square pads of foam. The existing pads seem a little thick, with not much flex. I think they should be half the thickness they are now. Not very comfortable, but I think I'll get used them,if not, time to modify with new ear foam.

26 Dec 2011:

Today I used this mask for a few games. The only fogging I got was my personal glasses. As most of you know I have that problem. With what I have coated on my ANSI impact lens, nothing can help my glasses within a concealed area. Enough of that.

It was a clear day (very cold 36*) and I was able to see fine. So off I go. Earlier I had mentioned discomfort with the mask, but to be honest I didn't feel any while I was playing. I used the mask in combination with my Global GenX Kevlar copy helmet.

Before I put on the mask,I did remove the mask chin strap. They just aren't my thing, plus it wasn't coming off, because the helmet has a chin strap.

One thing I did notice about the mask is the upper ventilation system. First part is at an angle, then there is ventilation above the lens as well. So it seems that the upper ventilation keeps the top of the head cool and then flows down into the lens area. Even with a helmet on and covering the ventilation, there was no fogging of any kind.

I did feel alot of ventilation with this mask. Especially in the nose area. I did find myself breathing better with this mask then others I have used. That's probably due to the "Nose" area formed as a nose with plenty of ventilation around and under the nose. This giving more area for the heavy breathing (for us out of shape round people) and hot breath to pass thru.

The mask is basically shaped to the "face contour" with exhaust vents being closer to the mouth and nose producing a faster access for hot breath to escape.

The only dissadvatage of all this excellent air flow, is the possiblity of tasting more paint or wiping more off your face. That to me is just a minor detail. Paint can be wiped off and away. I'm not some "pretty boy" who is looking to make a fashion statement on or off the field. To some players it matters, but not to me. I did take several face shots in the mask, so I have a little experience with this situation

The head strap worked well and was not noticeable or uncomfortable. The mask actuall felt very secure. I would put the double strap security right up there in comparison with the SLY double straps as far as a mask not slipping downward.

Weather conditions for testing:

As mentioned it was just about 36* the first day of of testing. However there are more testing days to follow, so Iam not give this mask an "A+" right away. If you know me, I going to test and beat the HELL out of this till Iam satisfied and can give an honest opinion about this product.

Test results and updates for the day of use:

This is where I will post all information of the days testing and it's results.

26 Dec 2011:

36* Test day #1. Why not test in cold weather

31 Dec 2011:

31*-40* Test day #2. Still no fog.

4 Feb 2012

Ikego Japan

50*-55* windy and cold. still no fog.

5 Feb 2012:

Yokosuka Japan:

In a very small bathroom with hot shower running. Finally able to fog lense. See results and pictures in updates.
I will run several games or what I can without defogger. Then I will apply as needed

Game use without Fog Doc:

So far I have not had to use Fog Doc nor any type of defogger. It has to be the foam and nose shape that has been added. The only Fog Doc product I have used so far is the cleaner. Which by the way has worked wonders for a clean lens

On field break down and cleaning:

The mask wiped off fine, without any issues. The lens cleaned up fine with out problems. I removed the lens for general purpose and as per the RAP4 video, they are very secured. You will have to give them a good tug when removing. I don't see these popping out on the field at anytime.

4 Feb 2012:

Once again I removed the lens for cleaning of paint. It gets easier the more you do this. Doesn't take long to remove,clean and replace the lens. The lens snap in better than other systems I have use, such as JTs and my DYE I3s.

Final thoughts and how would I improve it:

I am very happy with this purchase. I plan to use this system for a very long time. Only improvement I see is a faster lens removal system such as the SLY type system. I would not change the shape of the mask nor any of it's unique features. If the mask were to stay the same design, then so be it, I would still continue to use it.

However instead of offering the throat protection as an upgrade, I would offer it as a standard feature. PLAYERS SAFETY FIRST, DOLLARS SECOND.

This goggel system has alot of unique features that should never be changed. I feel that the nose piece is a unique feature that helps to keep this mask fog free. I have found myself breathing much better with this mask and often catch myself breathing only thru my nose as I should be.

I would continue to leave the harder foam on this mask. All the Hawkeyes should be sold with this type of foam. Get away from using the open cell stuff.

So what's my final evaluation of this system? You'll just have to wait till I'm done

This is not my full opinion, I have several more months to test and evaluate this mask. So far I have tested in the US and Japan in very cold weather. Results were very good. I should have fogged up,but didn't. I have tested using my Kevlar style helmet, which blocked the top vents,and still no fog.

I could only fog up in a small bathroom with a hot shower running,and even then I still had good vision.

I haven't even started to run this mask into the ground. So far Iam getting the results that I want. I would really like to say that this mask meets or exceeds the standards of those mask that are more expensive on the market. Only time will tell. So keep checking back and also let me know what you think.

Did I get my monies worth:

So far I feel I have gotten my monies worth. Except for the helmet not fitting. If I don't get a replacement, I can always sell it local. Still a great helmet for a young player to use. This is just the dissadvantage of having a fat head

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 03-21-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
MCB Member

Not completed, pictures to follow

Monkey Grip:

From O-ring Monkey

***Oringmonkey.com Oring Kits Paintball Marker O Ring Kits***

This stuff is kind of amazing. It's not posted on the site, so just give them a call.

How it all happened:

Last year when I asked David (owner) for a sponsorship, he sent me more items than what I expected. Oring kit, Monkey Poo grease,stickers etc. One thing that caught my eye were these rolls of tape like stuff.

It was sticky and very corse. So I decided to give David a call and ask about it. He told me it was a new item he was testing out and didn't sell much of it. He explained to me how to use it and what it's purpose was.

What does it do:

Well to be honest it "GIVES YOU THE GRIP FROM HELL" I have had my grip shot while this stuff was on it. Even with paint all over this stuff, I still had and maintained a "NO SLIP GRIP".

I have had paint on my gloves from wiping away pint in a resurection game and still unable to make my grip slip in any way.

Sticky:

When I mention the word "STICKY", and the "PREMADONNAS" see it, their little "AGG PANTIES GET ALL BUNDLED INTO A WAD". This stuff is sticky,but will not leave a residue when removed from your precious little "My gun matches with my gear" marker.

It will adhear to almost whatever you wrap it around and is also self adhearing to itself.

Uses:

I've been limited on what I've wrapped this around. I have used it on Regulator covers, forgrips on my SP1, regulators on my guns. For those pesky Hoppers that don't want to stay in place in the feed neck after being locked in, I put a little around the feed neck of the hopper. Once it's locked in place with the feed, It's not moving anywhere.

Great alternative for electrical tape around the hopper feed.

Last edited by blackrain; 01-22-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #49 (permalink)
MCB Member

DYE CAM Performance Neck Protector

The burning question! Is it worth the MONEY???? Here is my OPINION.

SAFETY DOESN'T HAVE A PRICE TAG

So here we go again. I thought I would review this item. So let me write about the qualities of this item.

As with all things paintball, we cannot all be happy with soft good items. However if you have a small neck, this is the protector for you. It is well padded. Looks as if DYE tried to go the hockey route with this protection gear.

It has a nice "DYE" embossed logo on the outside and the attached tag is a "DYE Sticker".

The protector is covered in DYE's multi color pattern of camoflouge. I can honestly say it is very well padded. The padding reminds me of a BALLISTIC deck. Heavy padding in the "APPLE" area, then thins a little as it goes around the neck. Uses elastic strap and velcro to latch it together around your neck. This was a plus for me, however it was not enough elastic or velcro to do the job properly.The elastic has a terry cloth like fabric sewn behind it. This give a comfortable feeling. No harsh rubbing

It's is sewn very well. Iam amazed with the sewing, that's always a plus for me

It covers from top of throat to the bottom of my throat. Which was more than enough.

The top of the protector had the usual cut away for under the chin area, but then an extra piece of "PADDED PIPING" was added. This was over kill. Not only does it add extra useless fabric, but it also makes it very annoying to me. I found it a waste of time. That little bib that hangs from the bottom, I find it useless as well. I don't see a need for that little of protection. Really just over kill.

It has very soft sports mesh on the inside of the protector. BIG PLUS to reduce chaffing as other neck protector will cause.

The whole time wearing it, felt very restrictive as if I were wearing a neck brace. If you have a MEAT NECK or FAT NECK or even several EXTRA CHINS, this is not for you. I have the velcro as close to the edge as possible and it still fits me tight.

How would I improve this?

First thing I would remove the over kill useless padding at the top and bottom. Then I would add a longer strip of elastic and velcro. I could just sew on extra velcro, but if it was going to do it, I would do it right. Remove and add extra elastic and velcro. As you can see from the pictures below, Iam right at the edge of the velcro.

Or I would put velcro on both sides. Then get elastic with velcrom on both ends. That way I can adjust the fit I want. The military sells the exact Item I'm talking about. We used these to wrap our pant's ankles,bundle ponchos, wrap cloths. Multi purpose item:

What am I going to do with this?:

I'm just going to sell this to someone who has less than a 19 inch neck I doesn't do me any good to have it, and it would benefit someone who could actually fit into this item better then I.

What do I think of this product?:

IT'S VERY WELL MADE AND WORTH THE CASH if it fits you. It does provide alot of protection when playing. If I had to, I would wear it if it was all I had to wear. Rather be a little uncomfortable then get smacked in the "OLD APPLE", or take multiple hits in the neck.

For the Record:

I have trouble wearing all neck protectors. I had to modify my JT protector as well, buy adding extra fabric. However it is a design I like. No over kill and padded just right. Iam in no way trying to say that the DYE neck protector is a bad item to buy, it's just not for me unless improvements are made.

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 04-18-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #50 (permalink)
MCB Member

This review is not complete. I still have to add a few more pictures and any additional info that BDAZLE sends me. so fo now here is what I have

As far as pricing, please contact BDAZLE. He is the maker and creator of this mask carrier. He will be able to give you more details on buying and colors.

BDAZLE, please contact me with any additional info I have not added, such as company name, colors offered, addition mask info, who else will be carrying this item. Anything else you can think of that I forgot or need to correct

While on a recent trip to Japan, I came across this mask carrier. What I first noticed about the item was the quality craftsmanship and the attention to detail.
Upon further investigation for information, I found out that “BDAZLE”, formerly of “Special Ops” was the creator and distributor.

I contacted him via email and ask him to bring one to Super Game 43 in Oregon. Up on receiving this item, I left him with this thought “You do realize I’m going to review the HELL out of this item”. He smiled and said “Go for it, I want you to”.

So here it is, let’s rip this thing apart and show the quality features, also the PROS and CONS of owning one.

I’ll be using three different mask for the example:

DYE I3

SLY Profit

RAP 4 Hawkeye

The Exterior:

Just looking at it, you can tell that the whole carrier is internally padded. Sewn on the back is a carry handle and a Velcro strap to attach the case to your vest or wall hanger.
500 D Cordura. Excellent fabric and very strong. Color I chose was Multicam. Full metal zipper all the way around the top. Double stiched for streangth and reliaibility. No binding when trying to close.

Interior:

A nice no scratch sports mesh. Very soft. 3 separate compartments. Two for lens or other items and one for the mask.

DYEI3:
Fit in very well without issues:

Closed just fine:

SLY Profit:
Had to put in at a slight cantor but fit with out issues.

Closed just fine

RAP4 Hawkeye:
Fit was perfect. Looking at the pictures it looks like it’s sticking out to high. But it isn’t.

Closed just fine without any issues.

Since I have spare lenses for all my mask, here are pictures with them and the mask together.

coming very soon

Sewing:

I’m a stickler for sewing. I’ve been know to unstitch an item, just to see how well it was made. However not in this case, I like this carrier. Now if BDAZLE is will ing to send me one to tear down and evaluate, no problem
I really respect a company or person who can build a quality soft good. That means that my money stays with them.
Trust me when I say, I have not run into many in my 25 yrs of paint balling.
I went over this case from top to bottom, inside and out with a flash light and could not find one bad stich or loose thread. It was perfect and well made

Padding:

From what I can tell the padding around the main body of the mask case is about
1/4” open cell foam. The top cover seems to be the same with a hard plastic shell about 3/16” for added protection.

This is just enough to protect you mask from the abuse of luggage handlers at the airport, to stacking gear on top when on the road while in your roll away gear bag.
I wouldn’t try and stack a ton of stuff on top or run it over with a car anytime soon.

Colors available:

What I have seen available. However with different fabric comes different price. You will have to contact BDAZLE about pricing.

Multicam

ACU

Black

Did I get my monies worth:

I sure did and more. I know atleast one mask will be padded at all times. I have a plce to store spare lens and my Fog Doc. Perhaps even more. I haven't pushed this case to the limit yet. I know I'm going to get some good yrs of service out of this case and when I decide to sell it, I hope the next owner gets the same.

So yep they are worth it,every cent. I'm hoping that others will chime in with pictures of other mask, that way we can get an actual list of what mask can fit in this case.

So let me hear your thoughts and questions.

Later,
Blackrain.

Last edited by blackrain; 07-08-2012 at 04:48 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Team Forums » Team Blackrain