mcarterbrown.com  

Team Blackrain Home of Team Blackrain

Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #51 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

THE RHYNO SPEC OPS 180 BARREL SHROUD/MOCK SUPPRESSOR

Note:
I am not sponsored nor do I work for Red Rhyno Tactical. I am just a player writing a review on this item.

Company Mission statement and contact information:

Please Log In (back online in Sept)

About Us

Since 2010, RED RHYNO TACTICAL, LLC has specialized in the design and manufacturing of MILSIM paintball marker accessories. Unlike most online paintball companies, our products are original and not "knockoffs" or replicas.
At this time , we are not a reseller for other brands. Our products are proprietary and not currently available from other stores. We spend a wealth of hours and finances on engineering new concept designs for the paintball community.
We partner with a professional engineering company in CA for all of our projects. This ensures that all of our designs pass rigorous quality and safety industry standards. We oversee all manufacturing components from machining to finishing.
We spend extra time executing several trial runs before production is started. This ensures that our production runs are of the highest quality.
Our customer base is primarily in the US but we are looking to expand to Canada, South America and parts of Europe.

Our current product line is geared for TippmannŽ markers but we plan to expand to other paintball brands in 2013.

Red RhynoTactical.com will be back online in September 2012 with a full catalog of products that include:
• New Modular Mock Suppressors
• New Modular Tactical Floating Hand-guards
• Cyclone Shields
• Diamond Flatline Barrel Shroud
• and Much More Coming in the Future

Contact Us:

Kevin Penn, President (kevin@redrhynotactical.com)
Customer Care (customercare@redrhynotactical.com)

I was browsing ebay a while back and decided to punch in “Paintball suppressors”. I wasn’t surprised to see some of the same old ones that are normally on ebay. Then I came across a new one that I hadn’t seen.

New company, new look and new style. The price for “buy it now” option price was more expensive then the “Bid price”, so I decided to let it roll and put on a bid.
If you have known me for any length of time, you know I try to look for the best deal and what I feel is quality. I had a good feeling about this item and decided to try out something new.

Paintball players are a weird group of people. If it isn’t a name brand, 98% of the players won’t touch it. Well I belong to the last 2%, I’m always willing to try something new and write a review about it. I like to let other players know what my thoughts are on new items.

That seems to be the problem with paintball, we don’t have alot of“NEW” in our sport.

After I had bid on the item, I noticed that it did not have a front cap, that it was just opened to the atmosphere. So I wrote Red Rhyno Tactical a note asking about this.
My understanding is that this is their less costly version and they have another version with a threaded barrel (Guess who also has this version "ME").

This review will not only cover the low end version, high end version of this “Mock” suppressor to follow later this week.

I was really impressed with this posting on their ebay page:

COMING SOON:

MOCSBUILDER!!

CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN MOCK SUPPRESSOR WITH OUR DESIGN OPTIONS. PATENTED MODULAR DESIGN

This sounds like a GREAT IDEA . It will give the player a much better choice as far as personalizing a suppressor to their gun/play style.

What came in the mail:

Everything came packaged as such. Plastic tubing and shipped USPS. I received the Suppressor I won.
Also included were a Tactical barrel and a Modular Mock Suppressor. This is something I haven’t seen in paintball yet. Offers a lot of different sets ups that I have yet to see others offer.

Everything is made out of aluminum. So we are going to have a little front weight, but not as much as any other suppressor out there.

I did like the milling design on both Suppressors. It was a "HONEY COMB" design. Not only does it give you a different look, but also a better grip when removing/changing/cleaning when covered with paint.

These are probably the best Barrel socks I have seen in a long time. All embosed sewing on both sides. The pictures show what is on both sides on the barrel socks I hope other companies start putting out some fancy ones like this.

They are very well made. Nicely sewn with shock cord and a lock adjuster. I don't see these coming apart anytime soon. Made from cordura and the end of the sock is double fabric on the inside. I don't see a paintball going thru these anytime soon.

“But Blackrain, with all the milling, the paint will stay in the channels, I’ll have to use Q-tips”

Well guess what, just wash it with water. It’s that easy. I really doubt it will rust

If you read the “COMING SOON” statement above, you’ll be able to make your own design and not have so much milling. Or maybe you can add DRIP CHANNELS

Let’s take a look at the design of the "MOCK SUPPRESSOR" and how it attaches:

It's made from a solid piece of aluminum. 1-1/2" OD, 7" long and 1"ID. So it seems we have enough room for a variety of barrels. As mentioned above it has a "Honey Comb" style milling.

End:

Mid:

Front:

There are 3 Nylon tipped set screws. This is to protect the finish of the barrel and prevent marring of the barrel. It doesn't take much to set these on the barrel.

Rear View of allen screws:

Also included is an allen wrech and three extra Nylon tipped allen screws.

Slip it over barrel of choice. In this case we will use an ION Barrel with numerous turn downs, just to show this suppressor doesn't have to only be used on a full round barrel.

Evenly tighten down the set screws around the barrel. Once that was done I gave it a little tug forward to make sure it was tight and in place.

Next I check the end to make sure I was evenly spaced around the barrel.

If you have the correct length of barrel, you can mount this all the way back, giving it that "Full Barrel Suppressor" look
Me personaly I like the suppressor all the way back as far as it will go. If I have barrel sticking out,I can always mark it, put it on the lathe and cut it to the desired length

You can put the Mock suppressor at the "Tip" of the barrel to give the barrel a longer length or add character to a shorter barrel.

It has a black anodizing evenly applied. Not some "Fly By Night" business doing their anodizing for them (I hope they offer other colors). The anodizing is proffesionly done I guess you can say it's a "Satin Black" finish with the luster shine of an A5 barrel Finish. Look at the above factory picture for a better view.

I could not find any machine marks on the outside nor the inside. It is very smooth all around and inside. Even the thru holes for the set screws were smooth. Normally companies will leave thru holes very rough with metal sticking up, causing damage to equipment.

Note:
No one is perfect, always check thru holes prior to putting on equipment over expensive items.

What would I do different with this version? Probably not a thing. It's priced for what it is. Mock Suppressor for those on a tight budget. If you have a lathe, you could always make a front cap for it,fill the front with small pipe insullation. I see this Mock Suppressor as a "Tinkers" project

Let your mind wander and have a good time with this one

So this concludes our first installment of this paintball equipment. Next one will follow later this week. It will be the Modular suppressor and tactical barrel. I have to get ready for Super Game 44.

If you have any questions about this Mock Suppressor, or other equipment made by RED RHYNO TACTICAL, please feel free to contact Kevin Penn. He is registered as "REDRHYNOTACTICAL" on MCB.

As usual comments and critiques are welcomed

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 08-12-2012 at 05:14 PM.
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #52 (permalink)
MCB Member

This is a Case Logic Hard Drive Case.

Part number #63-2401456

Bar Code #85854 10546

Well since everyone is showing their cases I might as well show mine. This is just one of two cases. This case will hold a full 8 Freak Insert set. Which is considered a "Full Freak" set.

Freak Link:

Home

I just got tired of carrying a hard case. That and I have also added to my inserts with custom brass inserts,which I will continue to buy over time till I own all inbetween inserts as well.

This case pictured holds inserts:

.668 .670 .675 .679 .680 .682 .684 .685

It's a durable case. Rubber coated on outside and padded. Zipper closure. There is a mesh netting on one side and an elastic band on the other side. Both hold the inserts very well and will not crush the inserts when zipped up.

You can pick these up at your local Walmart,Best buy or probably anywhere they sell cameras or GPS systems. Price is around $10-$14.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 05-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #53 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hillbilly.223.com

Before we get started:
I am not sponsored by Hillbilly.223.
I will not tell my price that I was quoted, because inflation happens and prices change. Best to email and get a quote.

What I like might not be what you like. I have included all the information I can gather along with photos.

You are responsible for anything you have done to your gun or other items.

I am simply reviewing my personal experience.

If you know anything about me, you know that I like unique Paintball guns. Not the one of a kind or limited additions, but one that personalizes me.

One day I decided to start looking around for certain items. Then I ran across this site:

Hillbilly 223 - Custom one-of-a-kind hand painted DURACOAT finishes for firearms, parts, & accessories.

https://www.facebook.com/hillbilly223customfinishes

I stopped at that moment and started searching thru the online gallery. I was amazed at what I saw. Dura Coat was taken to a whole new level. I was very impressed with the work that was being done on real weapons.

I was a little timid about contacting this company. Come on, let's get serious. Why would time be wasted on a paintball gun, when real firearm owners needed work. So I put it off for a few weeks and did a little more research.

This was something I didn't want to let go, I had to try. Either contact Hillbilly223 or buy Dura Coat myself and give it a try. I paint as well as a preschooler.

So I contacted the owner Boyd Lemons. Very nice person. From what I've read about him, he is a God Fearing family man, who believes in our Countries Constitutional rights. That was good enough for me.

The company is located in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

When I first told Mr. Lemons what my plans were, I thought he would laugh me right off the phone. Instead, he asked me to send him a picture of what I wanted Dura Coat, and he would get back to me with a quote.
While on the phone, he explained the process to me. I was worried it would harm the polymer body, but he assured me the cleaning compound would not. Just in case I called
GOG paintball

Welcome to Gog Paintball

to get the exact type of plastic used for the body of my SP-1.

I felt very comfortable with the information about the process I had received from Mr. Lemons. So I continued on with this project.

I later found out I wasn't the first non firearm he had done.

A price quote was emailed to me. I felt it was a fair price. Since the gun was bought used, the price exceeded the value of the original purchase price I paid, plus repairs I made and modification parts.
Then again, a paintballer is always dumping money into their guns. Why not give it a try, worse that could happen, I wouldn't be happy.

I took a lot of pictures on how the gun goes together and comes apart. I made sure every bit of information I could think of was photographed and written down. It was a little "OVER KILL", but then again, every little bit helps.

(Examples of pictures I sent with the gun)

So I package up the gun and off it goes to Arkansas.

About two weeks pass and I give Mr. Lemons a call. My gun is all painted up, but it needs time to sit and let the paint impregnate itself into the parts.

Information on Dura Coat:
DuraCoat Firearm Finishes FAQ

Then finally I get an email with a link to my finished gun:

It tuned out better than what I thought. Parts I thought needed painting didn't. After all, who was going to see them anyway. So I waited and it finally arrived. I put it together and looked at it for a while.

My pictures look a little dull, but it's as shiny as you see it in the above picture from Hillbilly.223

I did buy different grip panels than what you see pictured. I ordered another set from:

stingerpaintballdesigns.com

This design fit the overall design. It needed a little more green:

The gun has held up great during play. I use this gun a lot, it's one of my favorites. As you can see from the photo below, it takes a lot of paint abuse. So far I have not noticed any damage from the paint formula of paintballs. It just wipes off clean.
I have left paint residue on this marker for over 3 months, without any negative effects.

(Photo Courtesy of Deadly Couture Photography:
https://www.facebook.com/DeadlyCouturePhotography)

Over the last yr, this gun has fallen on/in floors, rocks, gravel, mud puddles etc, and still no harm to the paint.
It has had equipment dragged across it, without harm.
This is one tough coating, and I would recommend Hillbilly.223 to do this type of work.

He also does other items, such as hard phone cases and Magpul items. Just look at the pictures on face book.

Now the big question, would I use him again? HELL YEA. I have another gun ready to ship. Just have to get some time line information and a price quote.

In the end, the final decision is up to you. This was my choice. I did my research before jumping into this project and I suggest you do the same.

If you need your gun by next week for a tournament or scenario event, I suggest you buy a back up gun, if you are going to send in your main shooter. Things happen and timelines change.

Personally I have about twenty different guns I can choose from, so waiting for a completed project is easy for me.

Remember, this is a permanent design, so read about Dura Coat before you venture into such a project.

I hope this helps everyone and perhaps maybe Mr. Lemons will pop in and give a little more info on his process.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 05-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #54 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Perhaps I missed it, but what barrel / shroud is used in this pic?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psc976b73d.jpg

Cool looking marker.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #55 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Perhaps I missed it, but what barrel / shroud is used in this pic?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psc976b73d.jpg

Cool looking marker.
Smart parts freak barrel and a Rhyno shroud. Look at the Rhyno review up above. also look at the Hillbilly.223 review to see the barrel used.

Later,
Blackrain

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Team Forums » Team Blackrain