mcarterbrown.com  

Team Blackrain Home of Team Blackrain

Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

UPDATES:

2 May 2012:

I should have pictures within the week.

27 April 2012:

So this project just sits on the shop bench and does not get much love. I have been dragging my feet with it. Well it's time that it gets a little love and finished up. I'll be tweeking this write up over the next few weeks, to show what exactly has changed, been added and taken aways.

Some new parts are on the way and going with a slightly different look. This gun will have the "Tacticool" look , but I'm not going over board with a bunch of rails or optics. The pictures show it with a drop forward, but it will soon become remote line capable with a CAR 15 stock. So keep watching and see what happens.

Later,
Blackrain

Thanks to Dragon at NW Paintball in Silvedale Wa. for his assistance in parts and explanations.

I aquired a few BT-4 rentals real cheap from a local field. Basically these were brand new, if not only used a few times.
AS with all my projects, I try to improve at low cost and get the maximum performance I can with what little I have to work with.

The BT-4 Combat Rental:

Freak Bored stock barrel:

I like to use a freak barrel. It would have cost more to buy a freak back. Here I'll have what I need. It's a simple and cheap mod to do if you know the right machinest.

Needed repair items:

Springs
Basic players repair kit
BT Barrel sock

I always make sure that rusted and worn parts are replaced. I have to make sure that the velocity in consistent.

Another important item needed, is the operators manual. Now rentals don't exactly come with them. So off to the WWW. for a down load. This is a very simple marker to work on and take apart,however you should always know factory safety warnings and the Dos an Don'ts of the marker.

The manual:

BT- Rip Clip:

I understand this is old technology put into a new shell with upgrade. Well It's just what this gun needs. Bought used. I still have to add a heli coil in place for the battery door screw and add the thumb wheel. Which I have,just not pictured.

E-grip:

I replaced the stock grip. Why not. What I saved in cash, I can now dump it to upgrades. Hey I'm old, I have to keep up with the young kids.

Internal polishing:

Took it apart. Stripped it with a dremal tool and abrasive bits and then polished it with my favorite Military stuff "NEVR DULL"

I also polished the hammer,added a red spring, new detent nubbin.

I removed the nubbin that holds the valve in place, for a future replacement to an A5 metal valve housing.

Vert Air Mod:

What I hate is not having a vert air adapter. This is where both BT and Tippmmann has faild with this family of guns. Not being able to add a regulator really sucks. Un less you spend $50+ dollars, it's not going to happen. I decided to take a chance and invest a few dollars and an Auto Mag vert air adapter. So a $9.00 investment on a bipod bracket and I get this:

I used the stock valve housing as a test bed of this mod. I replaced the stock air line with a macro line fitting and then ran macro line.

The results:

A very clean mod. It's movable. All that has to be done is add longer leangth of macro line.

External finish:

While I was at it, I decided to give the outside a new look. So I stripped off the old black factory paint. I then primered the two halves and painted them with an OD green paint.

This gave the gun a much nicer look and actually made it look brand new. As you can see from the pictures I also added a drop forward. This will soon be replaced with a CAR 15 stock.

A5 Hopper:

27 April 2012

More Upgrades:

As for now Iam adding this RAP4 Suppressor and barrel. Looks nice and it was bought used and very cheap. So I can't complain It doesn't quiet down the marker any, but it will now have that "TACTICOOL" look to it

RAP4 Suppressor and barrel:

This also includes the barrel. I'll have that freaked as well.

Also adding a Rap4:

CAR 15 Stock:

We will be using a RAP4 CAR 15 stock. 6 Position adjustable

Performance:

Well I can't lie. When you don't put in the freak insert, it just doesn't shoot very far That happened on the first outing a few yrs back. I just layed the gun to the side and never messed with it since.

Let me see how it performs once it's to where I want it to be. Hopefully alot better then before

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 11-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

Bellicos was selling a few things at the SG 43 swap meet for his neighbor.
I saw the Impulse and thought it was a Viking at first. After I looked at it closer I noticed it was an Impulse.

Then someone else picked it up and I noticed more of it. It did have a Unique look to it and had a few upgrades as well. My Wife walked up and I started pulling out gold coins.

I asked the guy holding it if he was going to buy it and he said "NO". So I handed over the cash and walked away with it.

I knew that it had an air leak and I could tell that by the busted Oring and sealent around LPR cap and the tape worm. Also noticed the Knob on the ANS Jack Hammer will not turn.

The bottle was also out of Hydro, but that was taken care of right away. I was concerned about a small ding in the tank. Before I paid for hydro, I had the Tech check it out before I paid. No problem, no light was shining thru.

However he said the big test was the 7000 PSI test that was needed to make sure it would properly pass. So I paid my $20 and the next day it had the pass sticker test. So it met all safety criteria .

I found it funny that this was a:

3295 PSI/88 CU

I had never seen one with an odd number "PSI"

Originol factory hydro date:

Last Hydro date:

Newest Hydro date:

The board works and it "chirps". Not sure what type it is, but both are very clean.

It was missing the valve spring, but I ordered a few off Ebay.

Also came with an Air America Messiah regulator. I might just put this on another gun. I have a few SP regulators laying around that will go well with the gun to help restore it to factory.

Over all I think $125 was a decent deal and it also helped someone out in need. What will happen once this gun is cleaned,new orings and lubed, I don't know. I might sell it. Maybe I'll have the barrel freak bored before I do.

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 10-14-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
MCB Member

Grey Ghost Feed project:

Thank You goes out to the following individuals in order of the project:

TITUS for having a VIBE sale, it’s all your fault

Whoever sold me the cheap brand new Grey Ghost feed

martix_agent for selling me the $6 VIBE

Dave Brewer of GOG for letting me bother him for parts and answers

GOG for selling me the complete ENMEY solenoid set up before it was released for public sale (During pre order on MCB)

KPCS for Drilling and shaping the Grey Ghost feed system to fit the VIBE/ENVY/SP1/G1/ENMEY/G1-M body Thank you for taking care of the customer first

PPS for making the LH/RH feed and for shaping the line SI feed to the VIBE/ENVY/SP1/G1/ENMEY/G1-M body

DISCO sharing pictures and information helped a whole lot during this project.

SSC thanks for making the main part(s) that made this whole project come together. At minimum you have the measurements to make a VIBE/ENVY/ENMEY shim.

EBAY for the Punisher Skull detent covers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This whole project is based off of a LAPCO feed system. Just looking at this part gave me the idea to take this project forward.

As the yrs of paintball have gone by, I’ve collected more stuff then I can remember. One day I was looking on the Internet and found a Grey Ghost Vertical Feed. It wasn’t for the $60 bucks that LAPCO wanted.

It cost me a whole $20 shipped. Yep I hit a great deal and knew it. My plan was to put this on a cocker project that was forgotten yrs ago. So this sat around in the shop for a while. Then one day I found it again. What to do with it.

This idea/concept is nothing new. Many players have been shooting SP1s and VIBEs with out the body shells for sometime now. DISCO on MCB has had a highly modified SP1.

However this question lingers on the minds of those out there that are afraid to ask or try due to torment and bullying on the internet, by other players, for what they think is a stupid idea.

Blackrain doesn’t think that way, I’m all for innovated ideas. Seeing what others are doing and maybe seeing ideas that I over looked for my projects. This sport doesn’t progress with out ideas and warped minds.

I want this project to turn a few heads on the field and have questions asked about it. Hopefully GOG will see this as maybe a new market. I don’t know. Who knows, maybe a few of the last remaining Air Smiths out there will offer this as a mod conversion. I can only hope.

The Feed Systems:

I looked at my newly found parts of VIBES and ENMEY,(the main parts I bought from Martix_Agent on MCB) and had an idea. Why not just use the body tube and put a feed on it. As simple as that, yea right. There is always a snag. I soon discovered the feed needed shaping to the body radius.
KPCS was trading cash or work for Cocker parts and I figured what I needed was worth a WORKS frame. Two weeks later it comes home. Bolted on and perfectly aligned. The feed was shaped to the body radius and the screw holes weren’t thru the body. It was perfect. I couldn’t have asked for better service.

My whole project reasoning, is to make this platform a convertible feed style marker. We already have Vertical feed, so why not LH/RH feed. So off to PPS to have my Line SI feed milled, drilled and soldered to fit.

The feed had been soldered once before for another project. It served it’s purpose the way it was, but this time it needed to be aligned and shaped to perfection.

I chose PPS because it's OLD SCHOOL and when it comes to BRASS, they are the main choice. I also like this reasons:

“Custom Still Means Something”

Ever wonder why PPS is still around? For that very reason.

GOG Mechanical Noid/3Way:

I could not figure out what my platform was going to be. Then I found an entire Mechanical 3 way for my GOG ENMEY complete and ready to go.
I bought this before the ENMEY was released to public during the MCB pre sale. Called up to ask the tech a question, next thing I know I’m buying a back up 3WAY for my ENMEY review.
So it was decided then and there, this was going to be a convertible Mechanical/Electric version (I have lots of E-boards ready to go). I need to quite calling GOG for stuff .

The Frame:

VIBE and ENMEY frame. Both are part of this project. If you are going to do it, do it right.

I wanted to use a Cocker frame or an Impulse frame. However this idea fell threw. I’m not wasting tons of dollars, trying to have a frame and tray milled, move the trigger switch off the board and possibly move the 3way location.

The Board:

Just a stock re-flashed Smart Parts board. I was going to put a Virtue board on this, but I’ll use it on my sleeper.

The Frame shim:

Once the frame was decided upon, it was time to do a partial assembly with a VIBE frame till my ENMEY frame arrived from GOG (Thanks Dave Brewer).

Well problems arose right from the get go (as if this was going to be a problem free project).
There was a big gap between the frame and the main body. What was I going to use to fill the gap. First thought was round stock aluminum and then an Auto Mag rail base.
Then I thought Impulse frames and trays are plentiful time to hit EBAY.

Okay my idea didn’t work. I had a 50/50 chance it would. Which in the mean time, I was in contact with SSC on MCB.
While sitting around and waiting for items to be sent and come back, I came up with an idea to hack up a VIBE body I had laying around and use it for a shim. I contacted DISCO on MCB and asked what he had used for a gap filler. His response “I used the SP1 body”.

Thru dremel tool, sand paper, file and a lot of patience I came up with my proto type shim. It fit and I was in business. Now I could give SSC a working proto type to measure his work off of, and make me a metal shim.
Hopefully SSC or GOG will one day offer this complete service. It would be nice to have these available in Nylon or Aluminum.

Detent Covers:

Here is the issue, I like to run my guns blind. Why not, this gun platform does not if on a VERY RARE occasion, chop paint. 1 in every 6000-10,000 rounds for me if that. So I had to cover my detents, so they wont fall out.

I looked at DISCO’s gun again and he used the same idea I had thought of. He used the body detainment tab for eye covers. Well I guess I'll be different You guys know me, I search for the odd and unusual.

So I searched on line and found these Punisher type detent covers that go on a Spyder. Fits my personality just fine.

I wasn’t sure if they needed filing or not. The VIBE bodies are a round tube, so I will need to “Radius” the detent covers if needed.

Regulator:

Good old stock regulator I got in a trade on PBN. Stock used board for a used regulator was the trade. I really like these stock regulators. I’m told they are the exact same thing on a LUX, but in a different housing. I guess that’s a good thing. I have never had one fail on me yet.

I service it and change all the Orings.

Barrel:

I’m just going with the standard Smart Parts FREAK Kit. It’s a proven design, I like the system, I have a lot of inserts, and I have several Impulse threaded Freak Backs laying around in my gear bag. Found the things cheap on Ebay.

You would be surprised what you can find for cheap when a paintball company goes out of business and people think they won’t be back.
The player then tries to sell everything off cheap to recoup some cash.

I could Freak Bore a stock barrel, but that’s reserved for my sleeper ENVY.

How to cover it:

This is a big decision. Hydrograph, Dura Coat, or just leave it? I could anodize it, but unless someone is going to make me an aluminum frame for REAL CHEAP or FREE, anodizing won’t happen, cause plastic won’t anodize and I’m not going to have a
HALF A$$ finished gun.

What it all looked like after completion:

Here it is. I hope it looks nice and appealing. If not who cares what your opinion is J/K. It’s mine not yours
As usual comments and suggestions are accepted.

My only regret is I couldn’t have the body milled for a better look. The internal Diameter is just not the same all the way thru and I have to find someone willing to take on the project for cheap.

Was it all worth it:

Some people would say I wasted my time. Others would say I didn’t. Over all, this gun was made out of parts I had laying around the shop, I either got very cheap or was just given.
If I were to build a VIBE/ENVY out of all I had laying around, I would say my total expense well under a new marker.
So why not go out on a limb and see if this platform could be improved or just given another look.

That’s just what I did, like a few others out there did. It just puzzles the HELL out of the:

“I’ve been playing for two yrs, I’m a pro cause I have a $1600 space gun” player.

You know those guys that know everything but can’t even change an O-ring or the gun sucks because they were to stupid to leave it alone or read the owners manual.

It’s funny but we have all been down that road before. Some of us just learned our lesson the first time.

I know I contracted out most of the work and why not. I want the best for my projects.

I’m sure there are a few out there that will say,

“You hardly did any of the work, I would have done it all myself”.

Guess what, I have a job and responsibilities I have to attend everyday. I can’t just sit around dreaming about working in a paintball shop and joining a D3 team all day long.

I did have all the control and direction in this project. That’s what matters. I got exactly what I wanted and if not I listen to the advice I was given by the machinist and went from there with the info.

I hope this project has changed a lot of minds about what can be done to this gun/marker. It’s a very simple plantform to work with, just have to be creative

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 04-15-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Man! I've enjoyed reading all of these posts. You have some fantastic markers. Thanks for sharing.
fernando8877 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Team Forums » Team Blackrain