mcarterbrown.com  

Tiberius Arms Everything Tiberius

Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #71 (permalink)

Thinking about the results, I did notice that a lot of times when I would get big FPS variances, it would be to a lower FPS rather then a high spike. As in it would be kinda like: 275, 280, 209, 270 etc. Granted there were some high spikes, but still, most of the time what threw off the Ranges where the low FPS spikes.

I'm thinking those might have been caused by chamber not having enough time to fill up, but I did leave 1-2 second delay between trigger pulls.
CovertRssian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #72 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoMor View Post
Nice work! The muzzle-down shake test has me a little spooked.
The part of that test that worries me is its a common enough position. Even those not holstering it are going to be running with it in a similiar position.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Next step to weaken the springs is heat... Use a butane torch to heat them up until they're a faint orange. That will soften the springs considerably.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Next step to weaken the springs is heat... Use a butane torch to heat them up until they're a faint orange. That will soften the springs considerably.
I don't think I'll be going quite to that level, I don't really see a need for that... yet. But thanks for the helpful tips though
Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #75 (permalink)
Post Whore

You heat them up like that, and the heat treatment is gone. Not a good idea. I'd look for some different weight springs.
The greatest want of the world is the want of men- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by it's right name, men who's concience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #76 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertRssian View Post
Looks like around 300 PSI. This stayed constant throughout all the mods, thus the reducing the volume mod didn't work too well.
But did you readjust the regulator after you reduced some of the volume?

I would expect the pressure to be the same, but the volume of air release to be less, requiring you to INCREASE the regulator output.

Someone here (maybe you) said earlier that they had a drop from 290fps to 170fps when they tried to reduce most of the volume in the dump chamber. This create an alternative solution to the aftermarket safety-vent.

So lets assume that the SA8 vent vents around 600psi. And the stock SA8 normally operates at 300psi for 290fps.

So, lets fill up that volume with BBs. (Like the Deicer in the Nova guns). To maintain that 290fps, you will have to INCREASE the regulator output. Maybe 400psi. Maybe 500psi. etc. At some point you will have such a small volume that you will need to run at a pressure JUST BELOW the SA8 vent pressure.

The hard part is finding that point. A "trial and error" way would be to gradually add BBs, and crank up the reg with a chrono until the system vents. Then remove a few BBs.

At that point, for that temperature, the gun would be very safe, and would vent if the dump was saturated with liquid. The problem would be the margin of error. It would not be easy to adjust. If you wanted it to work both in hot and cold temps, you would have to play around with it.

However, the good thing is this solution would be "drop in"

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #77 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post

I would expect the pressure to be the same, but the volume of air release to be less, requiring you to INCREASE the regulator output.

Someone here (maybe you) said earlier that they had a drop from 290fps to 170fps when they tried to reduce most of the volume in the dump chamber. This create an alternative solution to the aftermarket safety-vent.

So lets assume that the SA8 vent vents around 600psi. And the stock SA8 normally operates at 300psi for 290fps.

So, lets fill up that volume with BBs. (Like the Deicer in the Nova guns). To maintain that 290fps, you will have to INCREASE the regulator output. Maybe 400psi. Maybe 500psi. etc. At some point you will have such a small volume that you will need to run at a pressure JUST BELOW the SA8 vent pressure.

The hard part is finding that point. A "trial and error" way would be to gradually add BBs, and crank up the reg with a chrono until the system vents. Then remove a few BBs.

At that point, for that temperature, the gun would be very safe, and would vent if the dump was saturated with liquid. The problem would be the margin of error. It would not be easy to adjust. If you wanted it to work both in hot and cold temps, you would have to play around with it.

Until you shoot BBs out of your powertube!

Good luck to all that want to continue working on these. Aside from a tinker project, I see no value in it, so I'm going to be turning mine in sans magazines and picking up some parts/FS rounds.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Is yours orange, Mayvick?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:

I did not, I tried to get the regulator as close to the original position as possible.

Quote:
I believe it was Cool0 in the other thread .

Quote:

There is an easier fix, get a fixed spring that's weaker, and let it vent around 300 PSI all around. Better then nothing IMO.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #80 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nelson View Post
You heat them up like that, and the heat treatment is gone. Not a good idea. I'd look for some different weight springs.

By "heat treatment", I assume you mean surface hardening. Because the plan is to heat treat the spring to weaken it.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tiberius Arms