mcarterbrown.com  

Tiberius Arms Everything Tiberius

Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quick facts:
  • Tiberius Arms is not responsible for the manufacturing of the First Strike Rounds. They are solely produced by Perfect Circle Paintball (PCP).
  • PCP has a patent for producing the polystyrene shell they use in their spherical projectiles (used in LE and entertainment industries) that allow for a shell that breaks more readily under impact but, can handle the forces involved in force feeding and, bolt cycling.
  • Tiberius Arms (and possibly PCP but, I can't find a source) has claimed that these rounds are made of "Photodegradable Polystyrene"
  • Neither Tiberius Arms nor Perfect Circle Paintball (the manufacturer) have made any claims in regards to how fast the rounds will break down.

My opinion:
It seems that everybody is expecting way too much of the term photodegradable.

Unfortunately, as consumers we are in a gray area as there is no ASTM standard for defining photodegradable plastic in our uses like they do for Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) six pack rings in water.

The way everyone should be thinking about this is:

"If Perfect Circle Paintball / Tiberius Arms are not lying to the paintball community, these rounds have additives that should help them breakdown under sunlight. Therefore, they should breakdown faster than a styrofoam cup (which does not have any additives to help it breakdown) in the same conditions". How much faster? Who knows. Maybe it's 100yrs compared to regular polystyrene's 500+. Even if that were true, a lot of people would not be satisfied.

I believe that PCP used this material because of product engineering considerations (fragility, ability to hold a water-based fill, the shape of the rounds, etc). If someone were to invent a material that wasn't prohibitively expensive, PCP would most likely be on it and not just for the paintball community but the LE and entertainment industry as well.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
when in doubt EBD

yeah it would be cool if fs round became the way of the future and we gained accuracy and distance but that will not happen at fields if they dont degrade. Think about 30000 of those things being fired weekly and not decaying. the pile up would be ridiculous.

914 Dogs of War (Major)

Aztec Warriors scenario team Texas
Member of Land Sharks

I do home lending in Texas. Need a house let me know if nothing else its free advice.
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Maybe they should make them edible and bacon-flavored, so at the end of the day everybody can walk around and pick em up and have snacktime.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
yeah it would be cool if fs round became the way of the future and we gained accuracy and distance but that will not happen at fields if they dont degrade. Think about 30000 of those things being fired weekly and not decaying. the pile up would be ridiculous.
its called cleanup. they would just have hire a cleanup crew or have there own clean up crew that cleans the field after play or before play.
BCompanyBravo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCompanyBravo13 View Post
its called cleanup. they would just have hire a cleanup crew or have there own clean up crew that cleans the field after play or before play.
So fields should pay a crew of guys a few hours wage every day to clean up after players who use the FS rounds? Seems unreasonable, IMO.
icepalacestaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cloud Cuckoolander

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
love em using em if they start to pile clean em up
oh btw "The US federal standard for testing plastic for photodegradation is 40 CFR Ch. I (7–1–03 Edition)PART 238"
oh and study http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...56c61b07628645

The Llama Cavalry Has Arrived!!!
I'm a PC, and LINUX was my idea!

Last edited by Timmycuddler; 05-23-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Timmycuddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepalacestaff View Post
So fields should pay a crew of guys a few hours wage every day to clean up after players who use the FS rounds? Seems unreasonable, IMO.
have there own clean up crew that cleans the field after play or before play.

That's what they should do. And its not like a lot of people out there use First Strike as their primary rounds. But I'm only speaking about SC Village here in Southern Cali.
BCompanyBravo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
there are a few reasons i will not allow these rounds to be used at our field.

firstly, the photo-degradation. i dont want to see these things piling up on the sidelines. after the tests ive seen i dont think they will break down in my life time.

secondly, these rounds maintain velocity a whole lot longer than standard paintball rounds. so a 10 year old kid taking one of these to the throat at 280FPS will likely never play again. we are a first timers park.

lastly and not that importantly. our field does not have many parts that would allow one to take advantage of the FS ability for long ranges. we have alot of big trees with low branches so whats the point?

now this being said i have nothing against the use of these rounds in scenario and i may even pop a few off one day. i just think that these are keyed more towards specific fields of specific play with more seasoned paintballers.

FEEDBACK
Rednecksniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Henchemen Inc!

Send a message via AIM to vf-xx

Wonder if they could go with a different shell type long term? Anybody remember those 'green' pens that were supposedly made out of corn? I wonder if those would break down better.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I haven't seen anyone using FS rounds exclusively. Some guys have 1 tube of rounds that they'll muzzle load into a pump one at a time.

You guys are talking about 30,000 of these things on a field. I don't think so. They're too expensive to start with, and the average tourney, rec, scenario player isn't going to put the money in to shoot these things on a regular basis.

There may be a few out there who will, but most guys would rather buy a case and hose away.

And having seen plenty of stock class players who don't use a dump pouch, I'd rather slide into a bunker over a few FS fins than spent 12 grams.

Our game, played outdoors is indeed one that requires environmental responsibility. But, I think if you look at it, this could be treated like picking up caps. Or broken/lost pods. Or cleaning a campsite that someone else didn't.
fossilhead is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tiberius Arms