mcarterbrown.com  

Tiberius Arms Everything Tiberius

Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #131 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Doubt it because this is technically a Tiberius Arms barrel that just happens to be made by Lapco, not a Lapco barrel that made for Tiberius Arms markers
You sure?
Hoping for an Autococker threaded one
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #132 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
You sure?
I wouldnt mind one for my SR1
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #133 (permalink)
Dremel Drill Professional

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
lol. The Tib barrels are about as far from a threaded barrel u can get. Why would lapco make a FS barrel for anyother gun anyways since none are FS compatable? Although I bet they are (and should be) considering a TIPX rifled barrel.

nation feedback
mcb feedback

Havoc-paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #134 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN1 View Post
As of right now Lapco is only making them for Tiberius but that may change. Not sure if there are adapters out there though to fit TA on cocker, etc....
Well with the way that Tiberius barrels have no threading on the breach end, have a hole in the breach where the paintballs are fed in, and those slots to lock the barrel in place, I don't think an adapter would be very feasible even if you could manage to make it work.

But you don't need an adapter if you have a machinist cut threads into a barrel for you. Let's see what happens when we explore that idea....

Keep in mind this barrel won't help unless you are shooting first strikes. An empire trracer is the only production marker I know of that can accept first strike rounds. They make conversion kits for the TiPX though.

So for the trracer you'd want cocker threads. For the TiPX, you'd need A5 threads.

MCB member alpha434 can rethread most barrels to autococker. This wouldn't be most barrels though, more of a special project. You'd have to ask him if he thinks it could be done and if he could try it. There are probably other folks in the Custom sub-forum that can rethread barrels but alpha434 is the only one I found explicity offering such a service.

I found cocker tech has good info on AC threads, which apparently are cut into marker breeches with a 15/16"-20, Oversize GH-7 tap, which creates a major diameter of 15/16" or 0.9375, and a minor diameter of 0.8875". Apparently the barrels have a .912" major diameter.

A T8.1/T9.1 barrel is 1" outside diameter and my lousy attempt to measure the depth of the index slot with a ruler came up as 3/32". Of course you have to double that to get the diameter corresponding to the radius from the center to the lowest depth of the slot. Subtract 3/16" from the 1" and you get 13/16" or 0.8125". That places that slot about 0.05" below where the bottom of the threads should be and 0.1" below the top of the threads.

Even if a machinist can cut threads through and over a slot like that, it could present some trouble when you go to attach and remove the barrel from the marker. I can tell you it's a real pain trying to take one of the old-style quick change tools out of a T8 mag. The hardness differential between the steel screw and the aluminum mag probably makes it worse, but the sharp edges of several rows threads abruptly starting can really bind up. I managed to get the quick change out of one mag, but not the second one I tried. I'm sure knocking down the corners would help, but I'm not sure how much.

Thus my guess is that it's pretty difficult to adapt a tiberius barrel to another marker even if you're willing to pay for custom work in a machine shop.
vvatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #135 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
First strike capable guns:

-The newer Tracer
-the R7 will soon be a production gun
-Bill at CCM will be coming out with his first strike bolt action gun(and if he can get the mag fed working as well)
- not sure what that other company's gun is threaded but it will be a sniper type rifle as well
- Lapco itself will be making the double barrel Max Boom(two barrels and two trigger)

not to mention anyone with a dremel can make an autococker, old sniper and new Empire sniper, ULE mag or ASP roundhead body take single loaded FS rounds-all of these are AC threaded.

Also there is a thread here of trying to design an aluminum body tpx with a FS acceptable breach. I don't think anyone has asked but what if they made it in cocker threading?
Shoot, most machinists should be able to make an AC threaded tpx breach.

I would think that these barrels would sell.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #136 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Doubt it because this is technically a Tiberius Arms barrel that just happens to be made by Lapco, not a Lapco barrel that made for Tiberius Arms markers
Yeah, even the new pistol-length ones are made for Tiberius Arms by LAPCO and not solely LAPCO products. You can order the new ones from LAPCO though, so that's new.

Then again, LAPCO/Tiberius aren't making the only clockwise rifled first strike barrels for Tiberius markers, they are just the only ones going all the way down to a 0.683 bore. Milsig has been selling two barrels for T8.1/9.1 with a 0.689 bore for like a year (they have T8/T9 versions too) and Hammerhead has been selling their T8.1 rifled barrel with a 0.688 bore for a few months.

This brings up the fact that Milisig and hammerhead have both been making rifled barrels with threading before they started selling the Tiberius barrels. Milsig markers and barrels use the same threading as Tippmann A-5s, X-7s, TPXs and BT-4s. Hammerhead barrels can come with different Fins for all sorts of markers. From my reading of their respective sites, it doesn't look like they have changed anything about how they are doing their respective rifling designs to accommodate first strike rounds. So buying an existing product is way easier than the machining I speculated on in my last post. (that was fun to consider anyway though )

Would those milsig marksman and hammerhead barrels be what you guys are looking for to shoot first stirkes on other markers, Gman1 and dundadun?

Quote:
First strike capable guns:

-The newer Tracer
-the R7 will soon be a production gun
-Bill at CCM will be coming out with his first strike bolt action gun(and if he can get the mag fed working as well)
- not sure what that other company's gun is threaded but it will be a sniper type rifle as well
- Lapco itself will be making the double barrel Max Boom(two barrels and two trigger)

not to mention anyone with a dremel can make an autococker, old sniper and new Empire sniper, ULE mag or ASP roundhead body take single loaded FS rounds-all of these are AC threaded.

Also there is a thread here of trying to design an aluminum body tpx with a FS acceptable breach. I don't think anyone has asked but what if they made it in cocker threading?
Shoot, most machinists should be able to make an AC threaded tpx breach.

I would think that these barrels would sell.
Yeah, the market is starting to open up a bit more lately. It should go from three production markers in 2011 (if you count T8.1 and T9.1 as 2) to six or seven soon.
I hadn't heard of the R7 yet, thanks for mentioning it. I also hadn't heard the name Max Boom yet, but I did see it on youtube and it looks pretty cool.

Carmatech Engineering is introducing the SAR-12 in September 2012, another bolt-action (probably your 4th bullet point).

Until I hear more about the performance of these new barrels, it's hard to say if the 0.683 LAPCO/Tiberius design is better than the other barrels I've mentioned above.

Bryce Larson of Punkworks is planning a comparison test of tiberius barrels this summer I think. I'm trying to talk him into trying the Milsig and Hammerhead barrels too (I'll gladly loan one for testing). In the meantime, I've done too much searching and have yet to find any info about how the larger bore rifled barrels do with first strike rounds. Anyone want to volunteer a Hammerhead T8.1 rifled barrel?

Last edited by vvatts; 05-12-2012 at 01:30 AM. Reason: more info replying to dundadun
Old 05-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #137 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
If the .683 helps performance than that is what I would prefer. If Lapco didn't make it AC threaded than I would try one of the other brands with the .689.

Carmetech, that's right, I couldn't remember what the name was.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #138 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
If the .683 helps performance than that is what I would prefer. If Lapco didn't make it AC threaded than I would try one of the other brands with the .689.

Carmetech, that's right, I couldn't remember what the name was.
Yeah, I'm very eager to hear more about how these different barrels perform. My T9.1 Elite's rifled barrel works great but I'd like a pistol equivalent and I might like having a rifled barrel that won't shred normal paint. I'm planning to stick with my Tiberius markers for first strikes, although I'll probably try them in my new-to-me Trracer as well.

I'm still rather skeptical that lapco would make an AC threaded 0.683 rifled barrel, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc-paintballer View Post
lol. The Tib barrels are about as far from a threaded barrel u can get. Why would lapco make a FS barrel for anyother gun anyways since none are FS compatable? Although I bet they are (and should be) considering a TIPX rifled barrel.
I think it all comes down to the details of the LAPCO/Tiberius arrangement. And we just don't know those details. If Tiberius owns the design or part of it, I can't imagine them wanting to make them for other markers, especially the TiPX, another mag-fed pistol as it could cannibalize Tiberius marker sales.

However, even if LAPCO is free to produce this same rifled design for other markers, they may opt not to in light of their ongoing relationship with Tiberius Arms.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #139 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I came across this thread again and realized my analysis of re-threading a tiberius/lapco threaded barrel was wrong. It wouldn't be much different from re-threading any other barrel, except that you will have to have the back 3 and 3/8 inches (where the index slot is located) chopped off the end, much like how the threaded portion is typically cut off when re-threading.

If you start with a Tiberius Arms T9.1 FSR 14" Rifled Barrel - 0.683 that would leave about 10.5 inches left including the threaded areas for tip attachments (about 5/16"). You could of course have your machinist of choice chop it shorter too.

So as long as you're fine with a 10.5" barrel, it's feasible to get one auto-cocker threaded and would probably cost you less than $150 in total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Can I get one of these rifled barrels in A5 or Autococker threading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN1 View Post
As of right now Lapco is only making them for Tiberius but that may change. Not sure if there are adapters out there though to fit TA on cocker, etc....
Quote:
You sure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvatts View Post
But you don't need an adapter if you have a machinist cut threads into a barrel for you. Let's see what happens when we explore that idea....

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tiberius Arms