mcarterbrown.com

Tiberius Arms Everything Tiberius

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
adjustable riser numbers

Here's some of the tib adjustable riser numbers.
15yds 4 clicks
25 5
40 5 or 6
50 6 or 7
65 8
75 9 or 10
90 12

The numbers with "or's" were as an example 5 low center ,6 high center.
This is using a fixed 4 power scope chrony avg.278-290 barrel was a hammerhead.
Target was a 5 ft 10 inch man sized target.The reason there is no 100 yd data is the lob on the rnd was hitting branches had to change position bla bla bla I will work on it.
A hit is anything that hits the man shaped target,most were in the chest area.Other than the occasional wild shot I was scoring hits, 90 yds was the biggest surprise hiting the target 9 out of 10. At 50yds or below got really good groups.Out past 50 getting a rnd on a person is all I am looking at.The or's are from the riser just going a bit low or a bit high I think a tighter adjustment or click .Are any of the other risers a little tighter in that department??The scope has mil dots so next time I will note the dot I use at(from the center)and clicks.
I will say this is not by far a standard for every set up and still needs some work.My goal is to be able to get a f.s. rnd on a player at distance reliably.
Next up is range estimation,any thoughs???
No laser range finders. I am using the Keep It Simple method.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

Assuming i ever get my T9 working I was looking to get one of these little babys; http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-c...-reticles.html. You get the option to have a rangefinder reticle, and i think that 2-6 power is perfect for paintball, as long as you're staying on the low end for shots and using the high end maybe just for spotting.

I also know that there are methods of range estimating using the mil dot reticles, thats how a true sniper would do it out in the field. I dont know how to do it myself but I'm sure someone could explain.

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;
1) You cannot win, you can only break even.
2) You cannot break even.

Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mils are an angular unit, you're basically looking at something and measuring how many dots tall that object is.
If you know how big that object is, using some trigonometry you can calculate it's distance from you. IRL they measure cars, full height of people etc.
For paintball ranges a full person might not fit in your scope, so you could use something smaller, like their head:

If you measure a mask (in this case I measured a V-Force Grill being 19cm tall) to be 2.5 dots tall, they are 76m away from you, 2 dots 95m etc
You don't have enough time to calculate on the spot, so need to try remember some basic values.
It's not an easy method, but it's cheaper than forking out for a laser rangefinder :P
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

Sweet data Mule, thanks for that. Something I've always wondered, how does the conversion change with a variable power scope? If you were zoomed all the way in the same mask would appear to be taller with respect to the mil dots, and the other way around for minimum magnification.

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;

Old 04-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Great chart!! I am going with a mask as my range estimation object.Mask are pretty close to the same size and well everyone is wearing one.I am going to start at 40 yds and go to 110 noting the size in mils at ten yard intervals.Can you do a quick conversion to yards mule ???And put up a formula.
Echo I am using a fixed 4 power I think using a variable will change your measurements what does the mule say ???
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Can you do a quick conversion to yards mule ???And put up a formula.
Silly americans with their made up units.... :P

The formula's here:
Angular mil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Something I've always wondered, how does the conversion change with a variable power scope? If you were zoomed all the way in the same mask would appear to be taller with respect to the mil dots, and the other way around for minimum magnification.
Yup variable power means inconsistent measurements, there'll be one magnification level at which 'standard' mildot calculations apply, if you want to use the others you have to do seperate calculations

This is something I want to get made, but haven't found an affordable way of getting it made.. A stadiametric rangefinder (based on a head) more suitable for paintball ranges.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

I really like that. Simple to use, everything's labeled nicely. What kind of scope did that come from, or did you photoshop it? Either way, it cant be cheap, and I dont wanna go running around a paintball field with a $600-$3k scope. Thats why I've been waiting to buy the NcStar one i linked a few posts up. Cheap and small, and you can choose between a rangefinder or a straight mil dot reticle. By the way, how does one gauge distances with this kind of rangefinder reticle?;

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;

Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

You need to measure something you know the width of, like a tank or a car, because of that it's a bit difficult for paintball
Old 04-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
2 Infinity and Beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Silly americans with their made up units.... :P
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2104/headmil.png
The formula's here:
Angular mil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yup variable power means inconsistent measurements, there'll be one magnification level at which 'standard' mildot calculations apply, if you want to use the others you have to do seperate calculations

This is something I want to get made, but haven't found an affordable way of getting it made.. A stadiametric rangefinder (based on a head) more suitable for paintball ranges.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2759/pwnscope.png
That's cool. Would definitely be a help for shooting FS rounds. I bet a hand held card wouldn't be too costly.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
That's cool. Would definitely be a help for shooting FS rounds. I bet a hand held card wouldn't be too costly.
My thoughts exactly.Put it on your tank/stock and all you have to do is take a look at your target,get the mils adjust the rail and bam!!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tiberius Arms