mcarterbrown.com  

Tiberius Arms Everything Tiberius

Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sneaky S.O.B.

Flasc T9.1 barrel question

So I have an MP7 shroud coming in the mail, and shortly before that I purchased a T9.1 flasc barrel to go along with it, but I have a T8.1. I was thinking that the barrel would be just fine to use in the 8.1, it would just have the extra groove for use with a hopper. What i found out was that the groove to lock the barrel in mag-fed position is not as long as the one for hopper-fed, or the groove on my stock 8.1 barrel for that matter. So basically the barrel sits back a little farther than it should and the bolt hits the back of the barrel with a nice "ping" on every shot.

My question is, was this a manufacturing defect or is it supposed to be like this for the 9.1? And basically, is there anything I can do to fix it without ruining the barrel? Or do I just need to sell it and find an actual 8.1 barrel?

I tried to explain it as best I could, but if you guys need a picture, I could get one up when I get home from work tonight.
alphasniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Looking at my factory barrel, it is designed so that the first locking position / groove is shallower (in the lengthwise direction) than the second, hopper position. The depth (inwards, towards the bore) is the same in either position.

If you think your bolt is hitting the barrel, the tip of the bolt does slide inside of the barrel, in either position. This is normal. If you look inside the barrel and see uneven wear on the bore then, I'd be concerned that maybe the O.D. of the barrel is not concentric to the I.D. and it's getting exaggerated in one orientation.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sneaky S.O.B.

Thanks for pointing out that the bolt goes inside the barrel, makes sense now that I think about it. After playing around with it last night I actually figured out the the "ping" sound is generated by the four prong tip. Not sure if the ball is hitting a prong on the way out or if it is just acting like a tuning fork, but without the tip on there there is no "ping" sound. Anyway, thanks for the help
alphasniper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tiberius Arms