mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Factory F/A, shoe shine and a tune-up

This is probably the best place for this since it won't end up getting anything 'custom' done to it at this point in the plans. Here she is:

I purchased her from a member (who purchased it in a lot of gear) here with it's obvious visible needs. He later found out that the feed had an issue and in all likelihood, the spring was gone/broken. That is what sealed the deal for me, because it game me an excuse to tear into something that people suggest avoiding at all costs.

Consider this a progress thread, with hopefully pictures along the way. The current goals are:

1. Investigate the feed issue and correct it as needed.

2. New stainless hardware to make her stand out and shine.

3. Complete tear-down (except the shocks unless needed) to replace any and all o-rings.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 07-21-2011 at 11:27 PM.
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I started last night to investigate what might be the issue with the feed. After a failed 'finger' test, it was time to open the feed up. I took the feed off of the body.

Note to self, plastic threads in the feed, don't over tighten.

I took the underside cover off and found, nothing. Well, almost nothing. There were 2 of the 3 rolling locking pins and a little flap of the spring left in the center bolt. They must have cut those with an EDM to get that feature in the bolt. I pulled out the last of the spring like something you've seen on CSI and measured its thickness (.0115, so .012) and its height (.370). I have some experience with these types of springs, so I know where to start looking for a replacement. The curious part is that the metal was thicker than what I had a sample of, but felt more flimsy. Maybe it's a weaker steel, which might be a bummer since the thickness is how I was (but still am) going to spec out a replacement part. The only thing I have no idea on is the spring's overall length. That's minor compared to not having one at all though, so we will see what I can find.

The missing pin isn't an issue yet, I can make a new one. These look like they might even be stainless, good.

Pics later when I get home.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I just got one as well I'll be doing a repair and rebuild along with you b
Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I missed getting that gun by a few hours. I'll admit that my spitefull side hopes it turns out to be a rusty money pit. But in all honesty, congrats on picking her up after that huge price drop, and I look forward to seeing what you do with her. If you are not too familiar with them, be carefull getting advice. There is a lot of contradicting info on how to adjust the sears/shocks. The actual tippmann user maintenance video is on youtube. It's broken into two or three segments and is a little painful to watch, but info straight from tippmann.
sethumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Yeah, i watched a little bit of one of them. Pretty tough, but still good information. I'll definitely be going back to look at the shocks and what the engineer had to say about them. I was also pretty saddened by the lack of F/A videos compared to some of the other semi-classics. I plan on fixing that if I can.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Just ordered a replacement spring. It probably isn't perfect, but it should be at least functional and will give me an idea on if the LB rating is too high, or too low. Spring should be here in about a week.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 07-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do let us know where you purchased the stainless hardware if you get it. I've been looking for stainless receiver connection bolts for my Carbine forever, nowhere seems to have them. I would look at a hardware store but I'm unsure of their size specifications.

As far as I know the receiver connection bolts on all the carbines and the F/A are the same.
Mike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Will do. I don't expect to find the exact hardware, but that would rust out eventually too. I plan on hitting up ACE when I have it all taken apart to see if there is everything I need.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

All that's left of the spring:

Look at all that rust dust.

Quote:
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 07-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Took the F/A completely apart last night. Those three goofy videos on youtube are lifesavers. I'm going to ACE today to see what I can match up and get with the shiny option. I have everything except for the 2 10-32 sleeves and the two little screws in the fore-grip. The sleeves cleaned up alright with a brush and I'm not confident ACE would have what I need off the shelf. The two screws up front will be coming out, just not this time around. I'll have more free time for those this weekend.

The front bolt needed and got a new o-ring too. It looked ok until I checked it for cuts, then it just crumbled.

I wish my drive spring was here, I'd probably be ready to shoot by tonight if it were. But since it's not, I'll take a few pictures and show some of the polishing I tried to do. Sat out front as the clouds came in with a nice breeze, so yeah, it was nice.

Quote:
Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann