mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

What am I missing (A5 velocity)

Alright folks, I'm getting driven up a wall here and need some one to point out what I'm skipping over.

Problem:

-A5 is shooting low. Nothing can raise it. We've tried a 1100 input tank, swapping with stock a5 internals, the works. Nothing works so I'm trying to eliminate set up factors before I get into mechanical issues (eg : something is rubbing)

Gear/Setup:
-A red power tube and bolt. Unknown make/model.
-Bolt of unknown origin, mates with the powertube so I would imagine they are a set. Would guess Rufus-Dawg.
-Zero kick hammer
-Zero kick spring
-Tech T valve spring (the lightest of the bunch)
-68/45 outputting 900 psi
-Valve housing. Looks aftermarket.
-Standard E-frame. New battery.
-QEV'd cyclone feed
-Blue Paddles
-16inch Smart parts barrel, telegauge says .689
-Asa (currently suspect) is from a 98, same as the macro.

Long version:
-Trying to fix an A5 for a friend, I don't remember/know what brand certain parts are but this is getting silly. I see no reason why it's not working. Are there specific defects with this particular powertube set?

The only thing I haven't tried at this point is picking up a working a5 from the rack and replacing every part with my parts one at a time to see what the offending bit is.

I refuse to accept the answer that it is somehow cursed.
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Did the velocity go up or down with the 1100psi tank compared to the 900?
98ssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

There was a kit at the field today and I do not know anything about a5's but the reff told the kid he needed to use co2 because he was having the same problem you are! He could not get it to shoot above 190-200 and when he switched it worked fine. Found this off another forum but don't know what any of this means maybe you do

"You may find that you need to increase your FVA after switching from Co2 to HPA. Co2 packs a bigger punch than HPA. Some Tippmann owners have had to get stiffer springs or use spring spacers to get their makers shooting up to speed. But its not all or even most of them, but enough to make it worth saying."
potts213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hammer spring is the Tech T Here

Velocity stayed in the same inconsistant 190-215 area with the change of tanks. Using a 650 output yeilded the same results
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

A guy at my feild was was having a similar velocity issue. He used a palmers stabilizer and maybe changing the hammer spring, I can't quite remmember what spring to raise his velocity.
98ssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do you have co2? I know you prob want to use hpa, but try co2 and see if you can get the velocity up.
potts213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
BLOODwaSHED

the Techt zero kick hammers need the stiffer spring, they have less mass then the stock hammers so they need the extra spring tension to help them...
"I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call my self a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That , it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations. Albert Einstein
bloodwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ribble View Post

I refuse to accept the answer that it is somehow cursed.

Sometimes they just are. My T9 is the same way; I replace every part one at a time and the same issue persists or a new one pops up.

That being said I would have to agree with bloodwashed, get a stiffer mainspring or drop a stock hammer in there, if for no other reason than to test to see if it was the Tech-T. That to me would be the main suspect, your 98 asa being second on that list. Test that out by just running a line straight into your tombstone, either using a remote or screwing a tank directly in.

Just to be thorough . . . you did back your velocity nut out all the way, right

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;
1) You cannot win, you can only break even.
2) You cannot break even.

Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have owned a half-dozen A-5s, including one with that Tech-T zero kick. I am not a fan of it.

Go back to the stock hammer and try it. If you don't have one and want to pay shipping, I will pay one forward to you. (Should have one or two hanging around.)

JVC Red hot tube? (Might be.)

I found with the Tech T zero kick, you need the heaviest possible spring to get it even close to field speeds. I've got a remote-lined A-5 that will not get over 240 on HPA, and its zero kick.

I think you said you already tried stock hammer, but... That should be the fix. Unless somehow the ASA line is gummed up and restricting the airflow, there isn't any reason stock parts won't work.

Try this if you haven't...

1. Stock hammer/bolt.
2. Velocity screw all the way out.
3. CO2 tank (Or that 1100PSI output)

If that doesn't do it, then.... Yup. That ones cursed. Unless its binding up, theres no reason that shouldn't fix it.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Does it make sense that he should also back the pressure down to 800psi when he tries the stock hammer?
I'm no airsmith by any stretch of the imagination, but the lighter hammer had me thinking that possibly the high input pressure is having its way with the lighter hammer and spring, causing the dwell time to be shortened. Even with the stock hammer, an unnecessarily high amount of pressure should be able to overcome the heavier hammer's inertia easier than a correct amount of pressure, right? That light spring wouldn't be helping the cause either.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann