mcarterbrown.com

Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
The thing that is confusing me is that the TPX runs at about 350psi. Why would any tank with higher output than that affect its velocity?
!!!
CO2 will always have higher fps at the same pressure, because it stores more potential energy. Not that this info will help you run your gun, but it will help belay your confusion about the above issue

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

So I called Tippmann today about this same issue because it was driving me crazy. Tippmann told me that the best they achieved on HPA was in the 250 fps range. They said that the TPX was initially designed to run off 12 grams, and the liquid inside.

I dont understand the liquid being particularly something that the TPX needs to function properly but more of a input pressure thing. This is weird and I can only assume that it is because Co2 by nature puts out about 900 psi while a normal high pressure air tank puts out about 850 psi.

So, my theory is that if I raise the pressure in my HPA tank I will be able to achieve higher fps out of my TPX. Sadly, I dont have any shims for my Ninja tank to test with. This might be the only explanation as to why some people have achieved higher playing velocity on HPA.

Just like mags, the operating pressure is just under 400 psi but likes and needs an input pressure higher than the industry standard 850 psi to satisfy its thirst.

This is maybe something to think about if you are planning to run your TPX on remote with HPA. I think an extra shim might do the trick or just run bulk Co2.
Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

That seems a little odd since the TPX has an HPR that brings the pressure down much lower than 850. I can't remember exactly, but I thought the manual said that the range was 250-350.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Desert T1,
I have no data to back this up but it seems to me that liquid passed through the HPR will hit the larger volume of the valve and go gas, raising the pressure after the cycle and before firing. Another possibility is that liquid's getting all the way out the bolt, it's impact on the ball would be more forceful and accelerate the ball faster.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Desert T1,
I have no data to back this up but it seems to me that liquid passed through the HPR will hit the larger volume of the valve and go gas, raising the pressure after the cycle and before firing. Another possibility is that liquid's getting all the way out the bolt, it's impact on the ball would be more forceful and accelerate the ball faster.

Rob
That is how I would imagine it as well. It just seems that there is a fair amount of distance to travel to get to the reg and still be in a liquid state.

I don't have any way of confirming that, just casual observations. I never ran my TPX on 12g, only off of a remote. I was getting ranges of 240-260 with smaller paint (and that was acceptable due to the small field size so I didn't try to bump it) and then with larger paint I was in the 260-275 range so I didn't think much of messing with things.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I would try cleaning/relubing the reg, using a spent 12ie instead of a dummy, and starting your FPS testing over with the reg adjusted all the way to zero pressure. Lock down the relief valve as mentioned, then try setting the velocity. Frankly, volume in front of the valve (spent 12g vs. dummy) shouldn't make a difference because the TPX valve has an internal shutoff mechanism, but that's what I was running when I used mine with a remote and I didn't have an issue getting 275 out of mine.

What size paint are you shooting? What type of tank/reg are you using? And lastly, what type of remote line?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I would try cleaning/relubing the reg, using a spent 12ie instead of a dummy, and starting your FPS testing over with the reg adjusted all the way to zero pressure. Lock down the relief valve as mentioned, then try setting the velocity. Frankly, volume in front of the valve (spent 12g vs. dummy) shouldn't make a difference because the TPX valve has an internal shutoff mechanism, but that's what I was running when I used mine with a remote and I didn't have an issue getting 275 out of mine.

What size paint are you shooting? What type of tank/reg are you using? And lastly, what type of remote line?
I have tried everything that I can think of. I tore apart the reg and cleaned and lubed everything. I started with the pressure relief valve at half a turn but later had to turn it down some more trying to get a little more velocity. The weird thing is that as I raise the pressure, the first shot has alot of velocity, up in the 300's but then drops back in the 250 after that. When I raise the pressure some more, only the initial shot raises but the ones after stay in the 250's.

I have tried with the dummy 12 gram and with a spent cartridge with the exact same results. I am using a Ninja 50ci tank with 850 psi output (verified with reg tester) along with a ninja remote with slide check. Amount of air in the tank is not an issue because I fill with my scuba. The paint I was using was Evil with both my stock barrel and my J&J barrel. I also have the Techt Bad Karma bolt installed.

What was your setup and what adjustments did you make to your gun to get a consistant 275?
Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I'm sorry, I'm a nitwit! That was back when I was running 9oz CO2 tank not HPA... God I'm getting old and senile.... But never fear I have plans to run my springfed TPX project on HPA so come hell or high water I'll figure something out.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Quit shootin' my swoosh.

CCM Fan
Had this problem, I just bought a TiPX with all the mags and mag holders and all the cool stuff. Took the TiPX to a big game. So stoked to use it, I wasn't a fan of 12 grams at the time so I was using it with a remote on HPA.

Same deal, 240 was about the highest I was getting. Wasn't very happy at all, just dropped $250+ on all this stuff and I couldn't use HPA. It stayed in the gearbag the entire weekend of the big game, or in the hands of other players. Couldn't even stand to look at the thing

On the bright side, this gun was probably the thing that brought me over to playing paintball with 12 grams, but the TiPX was still kind of a headache for me at first. I think Tippmann needs to sell each constant air kit with a warning about running HPA, I felt really cheated when I found out about this quirk.

I got as much balls as a roman candle.

Exdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm running a tpx of a 13ci via a remote without any issues. A steady 270-275 range. Not sure what I'm doing different, but they can run HPA.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann