mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

68 special

Just picked up a 68 special pretty mint in the box with neat extras. Got a new co2 tank and had the siphon parts put on it.(the original tank was hydro date of 92'). Put oil in aired it up and it held air without any noticeable leaks. The issue I'm having is sometimes it doesn't re-cock. If I take the bolt linkage off the hammer resets every time.Could it be the linkage or the bolt? The bolt doesn't seem to have that much resistance when I slide it by hand. Also just to note this was apparently a smg-60 that was changed over.
tenchustealthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Check to make sure the ball latch is installed properly and not backward. That can cause similar issues. Otherwise, see if the linkage is rubbing anywhere on the side of the marker, or if the bolt is wearing heavy in one particular area.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchustealthx View Post
Just picked up a 68 special pretty mint in the box with neat extras. Got a new co2 tank and had the siphon parts put on it.(the original tank was hydro date of 92'). Put oil in aired it up and it held air without any noticeable leaks. The issue I'm having is sometimes it doesn't re-cock. If I take the bolt linkage off the hammer resets every time.Could it be the linkage or the bolt? The bolt doesn't seem to have that much resistance when I slide it by hand. Also just to note this was apparently a smg-60 that was changed over.
Where did you get your tank set up? I just bought a clean 68 also. Hope you get it all figured out
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
Check the hammer o ring. It could be building just enough pressure to reset unreliably. It could also be a weak main spring.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen702 View Post
Check to make sure the ball latch is installed properly and not backward. That can cause similar issues. Otherwise, see if the linkage is rubbing anywhere on the side of the marker, or if the bolt is wearing heavy in one particular area.
Ball latch was in correctly but stuck down due to old paint gunning it up.I ordered a new latch spring, main spring and o-rings due to the linkage o-rings being dry-rotted and just to have the others. The linkage arm was bowed and has some signs of light wear on the inside. Also inside the power tube area the only noticeable wear is right in front of the feed port. Once i get the o-rings for the linkage I'll let everyone know what I find out. Thanks everyone for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1979 View Post
Where did you get your tank set up? I just bought a clean 68 also. Hope you get it all figured out
It came with a 12oz that already had one but was badly out of date. So I took the unthreaded the siphon fitting/hose from the bottom of the old valve and put it on a new one.
tenchustealthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Check out the neck feed for a Empire Tracer. You may be able to mod one to fit.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann