-   Tippmann (
-   -   mods that help with co2 (

psycho91 11-30-2012 03:45 PM

mods that help with co2
Ok so I will be running co2 on my 98 and I will be polishing the recievers and maybe running a reg, will be getting a spring kit as well, is there anything else I can do to make it run better on co2

Chappy 11-30-2012 09:10 PM

The 98's design is ideal for CO2. Screw in a tank and go play. Good paint will go farther than any mod.

psycho91 12-01-2012 10:21 PM

I know y'all know of some stuff I can do to get it to run a little better on Co2

Jebs04 12-02-2012 10:23 AM

You can replace the bolt o-ring with a Tank O-ring it seems to seal tighter. Low pressure kits reduce the operating pressure, however it will also increase the amount of air needed so that could be a wash on the efficiency end. You could also convert it into a that would increase air efficiency.. However as Chappy said paint is key.

Echo 12-03-2012 02:46 PM

Running an anit-siphon tank and an expansion chamber are on my list of things to do to my A-5. Its a pretty cheap and easy way to keep liquid out of the valve, which is where you will get problems with consistency on a CO2 setup. Other than consistency though, Tippmans run great on CO2. Liquid in the valve wont cause as much trouble in a tippmann as with any of the higher end guns.

plknny 01-07-2013 02:10 PM

id hate to say it but the best upgrade i put on my 98c was compressed air and a loader. i got my 98 custom when they first came out with the "custom" over 10 years ago and have had alot guns since. about 2 years ago i went nuts and got every upgrade including aluminum power tube, venturi bolt, flatline, egrip, zero kick, and springs. compressed air made the biggest noticeable difference

Vitamin J 01-08-2013 12:59 PM

Get a Palmer's regulator/stabilizer, it freakin rules with CO2. Not only will it be as consistent as HPA but it will last so much longer you will freak.

DarkShadowHunter 01-21-2013 02:02 PM

Get the Female Stabilizer kit for the 98 series. Make sure you get the correct one as the Platinum series uses an inverted flare fitting for the gas line connections. All other 98's use a 1/8 NPT connection. I would also look into getting a rear velocity adjuster.

The way I would set the velocity is as follows:
  1. Back FVA all the way out so it is flush with the inside of the power tube.
  2. Screw RVA all the way in
  3. Screw in full tank.
  4. Adjust reg pressure until you are shooting around 300 FPS.
  5. Adjust RVA until you are shooting at or 5 FPS below field speed limit. (If limit is 285 set for 280) Personally I keep my 98's shooting around 275 FPS.
  6. Play paintball

Also make sure you are using good paint as you will have better shot to shot consistency. You can have a well tuned marker but if you shoot bad paint you might as well shoot a rental that hasn't been serviced for the last ten years.

Another thing to look into is getting an HPA tank. If fills are readily available where you normally play it is a better option. The output is already regulated between 750 PSI and 850 PSI on most high output regs. Some manufacturers have a different output than others. The regs for a 3,000 PSI (3k) PMI (Pure Energy) tank output around 750 PSI while the old Crossfire 3k regs output around 800 PSI. The Crossfire Stealth System regs output around 850 PSI. If HPA is a viable option for you, all you need is an RVA

The main drawback of HPA is the cost of the tank. You are looking at spending over $100 for a brand new fiber wrapped tank. You can find them cheaper used, but you need to check to see if the hydro test is up to date. Most are good for five years from the last date it was tested. Unless it is a good deal I would pass on anything tested in 2009 or prior. You also want to watch the age of the tank. The fiber wrapped tanks we use in paintball are only good for 15 years. I would stay away from anything made in 2000 or earlier.