mcarterbrown.com

Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Certified Gunsmith

Kilt Fan
Exclamation Tippmann 98 Low Pressure kit Issue!

I finally got the time today to start tuning my 98 build, and while attempting to tune my odd e-grip setup, my marker would not re-cock far enough for the hammer to catch on the sear. It simply goes cyclic until it runs out of force to open the valve.

I ran through the entire operating pressure spectrum on my Palmer's Stab (200-700psi) and all it changed is the amount of time the hammer would bounce. I find this odd because the low pressure kit is only supposed to need 400psi to function.

I have not torn the marker open again to find the cause, but I assure you it’s not a lack of lubrication. I put a large amount on lube in the reg and valve, and I have enough Tech-T Gun Sav on the hammer to drown somebody in.

Any ideas what may be causing the issue? I’m really not looking to have to tear this thing down any more times than I have to. With all the parts I have on it, it’s a time-consuming and frustrating process.

Thanks!
Iconic Muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Certified Gunsmith

Kilt Fan
Anyone have any idea what would be causing this?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

First replace oring on the hammer and also if you have rear cocking and have the plate on the side to cover the old cocking lever hole, make sure it is not scraping against the the two screws holding the cover on, even a little bit of a scrap can cause this. I have seen this to be a issue several times.
dasmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Certified Gunsmith

Kilt Fan
The little side cover made the entire hammer bind and not be able to move at all, so it was promply ditched. I figure if the stock hammer didnt need a plate, the new one shouldnt either.

I do not have any other seals that will fit the hammer.. It appears to be the same type of material as a tank o-ring, and all I have are buna o-rings. Do you think this is the cause?

As you can tell, Im new to Tippmanns.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you have a buna that is the right size it can be used it will just wear out quick but atleast you can test this theory and while you have it took apart make sure there is no cracks in the power tube.
Yes if it worn it will not seal and have pressure build up to push it back far enough.
dasmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Some of those lp kits had a defect from the factory. Take apart and look at it,you can see where they put it together wrong and it blocks air in the passage from getting to valve.
ficone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Certified Gunsmith

Kilt Fan
I already checked the asa adaptor fittings, and mine was good to go. No obstructions.

I also replaced the powertube with an aluminum one, so cracks in the powertube arent the cause.

I ordered a seal kit FedEx next day, so it should be here Tuesday, Ill have results if that fixes the hammer bounce issue.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

You could always look again. This is same thing that was happening to me and i discovered the problem was this defect. Good luck if not!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Certified Gunsmith

Kilt Fan
ficone, thanks for having me double check that lpk. I shined my work light down in the fitting, and discovered that even though its a 1/4" opening, the hole that was bored through the pipe was only 1/8".

I opened the pipe up the whole way to the 1/4" size Im assuming it should be.

I also replaced every seal in the marker with the seal kit I purchased.

Hopefully, that should resove the issue. I will be updating the thread tomorrow, after I test the marker again.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Mine shoots great after fix, and i have been shooting it for many years problem free!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann