mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

WTF, Tippman!?

[rant]

A teammate broke his X7, and out of complete newbishness and inability to fix it, he asked me to take a look. I've never messed with one of these, but I figured "It's a Tippman. How hard can it be?"

Holy ****! I've never seen a more needlessly-complicated, asinine, and just all around bull****ty assembly design in my life. Pointless decorative mag well...barrel shroud, four pull pins and I don't know HOW many allen screws (not all the same size) just to open it up. Then you finally get all the screws out, pry the clamshells apart, and the internals just EXPLODE everywhere. I've literally got about a 6' splash zone of small parts in my living room floor right now.

To hell with this gun. At least 98's are easy to get apart/together. This POS is just complicated for complication's sake.

[/rant]

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Its an automag in some Milsim plastic, did Tippmann really **** up the most elegant and simply designed valve in paintball? Doesn't surprise me.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

X7...not Phenom. It's just an excessively-complicated 98. So, yeah, they did screw up a VERY simple design, just not the 'Mag.

I'm not saying the functioning parts are screwed, because I've never fired one. But there's absolutely no reason for any gun to ever be this damn hard to disassemble. It's completely stupid.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I'm not a huge fan of the direction that Tippmann has taken. I always liked the vaguely realistic look & feel of older Tippmann guns, but it strikes me as organic to the functional design. Starting with the A-5, they've purposely designed the milsim look into their guns, and from your description it sounds like they really let milsim take precedence over function. I don't like that personally, but hey, check out the picture thread, where some 95% of the guns are dressed out with aftermarket body kits to get that Call of Duty look. Not my cup of tea, but it seems like Tippmann found the niche that earns them maximum profit, as any good company will.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
Sounds like your buddy has done it before, but wanted you to check it out (;
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

I don't own a Tippmann newer than the first run of the 98 custom, mostly for this reason. I love the simplicity and ruggedness of the carbine line(pro-am threw pro-carbine).
Did you ever see how many screws they put on the Griffin?
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I own two a5's as they will be converted to a double trouble and I own an x7 which is gonna get sold. They complicate the hell out of their latest markers especially with the charging handle parts as they fly out, the mechanical grip is a joke too but it stays together its simple as hell. I only own 1 milsim marker and that's my Dukie DSG as that's how it was made but spending 800 bucks on a Tippmann is a complete waste because of rate of fire, maintenance, and most of all reliability.
DoC19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Barned

Has anybody heard of the tippinators? I don't exacty get why they do it...they run onto speedball fields with model 98s and a5 that have had like 1 grand poured into them, just completely upgrading the internals and all that.

Aside from milsim upgrades, the only really 'internal upgrades' that I've seen for tippmanns are mostly the rate of fire [techt vortex, ect.] and I think the whole Idea is silly, because tippmanns have so much recoil.
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop View Post
Has anybody heard of the tippinators? I don't exacty get why they do it...they run onto speedball fields with model 98s and a5 that have had like 1 grand poured into them, just completely upgrading the internals and all that.

Aside from milsim upgrades, the only really 'internal upgrades' that I've seen for tippmanns are mostly the rate of fire [techt vortex, ect.] and I think the whole Idea is silly, because tippmanns have so much recoil.
if you can get ahold of a tippmann 98 custom from the early tippinators, you'll understand

They shoot about as nicely as an intimidator from the same era, mainly because they use a lot of the same parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
boo
Banned

They also have to be the fastest depreciating guns because it attracts a huge amount of COD fans that play once then list them on craigslist. It seems like craigslist is 80% milsim tippy's, 10% ancient spyders and clones with optimistic prices, and like 5% everything else.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann