mcarterbrown.com

Old 06-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

68 carbine issues, need advice/help

Hi,
I recently got a 68 carbine. Originally it was holding air and cycling. I tore it down, cleaned everything, polished the metal parts, applied oil to the right spots and during reassembly the valve o-ring (tiny one where air enters) was found to be bad. I got a new valve with o-ring allready installed. I replaced it and it actually held air and cycled. While i had the gun apart i also replaced the stock trigger spring with a lighter 98 style trigger spring to lighten the trigger pull. I also added a bit of plastic around where the trigger pivots (also supposedly lightens the trigger pull).

I'm now having two problems. 1st- The velocity is only getting about 250's and im using HPA from a 70/4500 with a high pressure reg. I tried adjusting it up and could only get it up to 250 with an occassional 260. 2nd- after about 30 test shots over the chrono the gun started going into full auto (sear was not catching) and wouldnt really stop until I tapped the charging handle.

While the gun was apart I inspected the sear and trigger and all the other parts. There was little to no wear on anything. I think the previous owner hardly played. My thoughts on how to fix this are 1. to put the regular trigger spring back on to see if that fixes the rapid firing (dont want to do this though because the trigger pull is very nice right now). 2. Try replacing the long "buffer" spring in the back (I have 3 different colored spare springs). These are to fix the rapid firing, i have no clue what to do for the low velocity. I would like to velocity to hit 285ish.

An idea i had was to maybe try a Super high pressure reg to simulate the higher CO2 type pressures.

If anyone can give me some advice id appreciate it. I can take it to a local shop but would rather fix it my self if possible.

Thanks
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
My guess is the peice of plastic when the trigger pivots is causing you grief. That sounds pretty close to the "full auto" mod, also known as the "paint blender" mod.

Low fps on hpa is common with older tippy's. I'd try an RCA and spring kit.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

I agree with Chappy...except I would get a RVA as RCA makes crap these days.
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Stupid auto correct

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, ill take out the plastic around the trigger pivot. I think i can get an RVA on the pro/carbine owners site. If that doesnt fix it ill just take it to the shop. Thanks, Chappy and Snaparen.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann