mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Im getting an older one myself. Ive heard much the same as you have
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
I used to be a huge supporter of Tippmann. I loved their guns. That all started to change right around the time the TPX was initially released. Right around that time the Platinum 98s were introduced, since then the entire 98 line has been terrible. The Phenom is better, but completely non user serviceable. Now they keep dicking around with the valves on the A5s making them worse. The only line that's halfway decent is the Crossover (mech mode only) and the US Army/TPN line...

The title of this needs to be changed to "the A5 WAS a good marker"
what in the world are you talking about dude? how is the phenom not user-serviceable? and the only valve change for the a5 that i'm aware of was the number of air grooves in the valve body, which was all done a very long time ago. how are they worse?

i guess you've had a lot of bad experiences, but they are not typical.
Cyco-Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Don't know about the Phenom, but the X7 has too many damn parts that are totally unecessary and only there for cosmetics and aesthetics.

WTF, Tippman!?

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
what in the world are you talking about dude? how is the phenom not user-serviceable? and the only valve change for the a5 that i'm aware of was the number of air grooves in the valve body, which was all done a very long time ago. how are they worse?

i guess you've had a lot of bad experiences, but they are not typical.
Have you ever tried to replace any orings in a phenom engine that are not associated with the regulator? My guess is no. Also, have you ever seen anyone completely disassemble a phenom engine? Probably not. What about working on the on/off assembly? Nope. All non user serviceable. I actually work at a major distributer here in Canada so I do see a lot of product. For the Phenom, we usually just completely swap out the engine from our stock and send the broken one back to Tippmann. The markers we have come back from customers the most for "out of the box failure" has been Tippmann. Before it was usually just Phenoms or TIPXs, but the A5 has started to come back as well.

When I mentioned they changed the valve, it might not be something most people would notice. Essentially what they did is changed out the valve oring that seats against the tombstone to a perprietory seal. I don't think they really told anyone about it. Regardless, the new seal has been causing a lot of leaking problems out of the box. And because the new valves are milled for the new seal, you need to completely replace the valve to remedy the leak... That is until Tippmann decides to send out the new seal in parts kits, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

So no. It's not that I have had bad experiences with being an end user, that part has been good. I've had bad experiences trying to get guns working for other people. And it's because I take notice to changes like I've stated that I can make suggestions to my customers on reliable gear, which sad to say hasn't included a Tippmann product for a little while...

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I got an A5 when they first came out and I hated it. I sold it and continued to use my 98.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all good

CCM Fan
The old glossy A5's and 98C's are reliable as they get. The newer stuff however, not so much.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
I used my scratch built Sheridan style rifle.Seen here.
holy crap that's nice.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann