mcarterbrown.com  

Tournament Archive Ongoing archives of tournaments in the years past.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pinnacle Paintball

CCM Fan
What makes a good tournament?

Looking for some input on what you like/dislike about tournaments you've been to in the past. What made you want to come back and do it again. The more specific the better (ie: clean well organized pits close to the chrony station).

Thanks!

Pinnacle Paintball
www.pinnaclepaintballsupply.com

Your Canadian Pump Paintball Supply
SnowZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
suns out guns out

Send a message via AIM to freebird

CCM Fan
1. Quality reff's - People simply wont come back if the reffing is bad

2. PLANNING - Have your brackets/round robins set up PRIOR to the day, also account for possible walk on teams and have backup schedules. No one likes sitting around waiting for you to figure out who plays who next.

3. Fair field - Mirrored fields are a must, if that is not possible make them as close as possible and make sure each teams plays each side to be fair

4. Scoring. Have a big board posted in the staging area, and have a runner boy/girl to run scores back to someone at the board to record them every few games.

5. Enforce the Fun rule. Everyone is required to have fun or action will be taken(No action will really be taken but everyone should be there to have fun not just to win)

6. Good prizes better yet cash prizes. Everyone enjoys cash.

7. Givaways - Somtimes you can get local companies to give you some free stuff, or maybe you have some old stuff layin around. At the end of the day, or at registration hand out raffle tickets. At the end raffle off the smaller stuff. That way everyone has a chance of atleast goin home with somthin even if its just a hat or t-shirt.

8. Pre reg - Give a good discount to pre-reg. This will allow you to PLAN better and order paint/supplies to meet the masses. Also when people pre reg you usually get other teams that say " oh so and so is going? we should go play them!"

9. Bright paint fill, Not white. Orange/lime green/bright yellow. White paint tends to not stick out as easily as others this goes along with making it easier to have a good reffing staff.

10. Lastly. you could make it a series. Like a 3 part series where each team accumulates points over the season and at the end have a cookout/award ceremony give out some cheap trophies to the teams that have the most points. And also, give out a last place "atta boy" trophy to encourage teams to come back!

I hope this helps
-Nate
TEAM CAPTAIN - UPSTATE HATE
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

mech/pump only

hyperball fields
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I think Freebird hit the nail on the head. My only comment is that number 6 could even be a simple trophy. Cash and goods are nice but if you are startinga grassroots effort and don't have a lot of cash on hand a trophy for the top finishers will go a long way.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
2. PLANNING - Have your brackets/round robins set up PRIOR to the day, also account for possible walk on teams and have backup schedules. No one likes sitting around waiting for you to figure out who plays who next.
Absolutely this. Worst tournament ever (back in Wisconsin): pre-registered, arrived at 8, games started at 9. Our first scheduled game was at 11:30; our next game was immediately afterwards. No time to paint/air up. Same thing after lunch: long lull, then 1 game, a game break, then 1 game. Terrible, terrible to sit around all day waiting to play, then being so rushed between games that you don't have time to talk about what happened and adjust.

Not only would never play a tournament there again, but I refuse to go back to that field.

Worst part- they make programs to make brackets (we used them for wrestling tournaments at least as far back as 1993 (when I was in middle school)). No excuse to have people sitting around so long.

Last edited by SweatyDemon; 05-07-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added stuff.
SweatyDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyDemon View Post
Worst part- they make free programs to make brackets
fixed

I had almost the exact same experience at a tournament. Hours of wait...then bunches of games then hours of wait. I don't think all of the teams even played the same number of games.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

This probably goes along with the "Fun" rule, but you gotta keep the players in check. It can ruin a whole day if one team gets cocky/mouthy/etc. You could have the best tournament ever, good field, good reff's, brackets, Open/rookie/novice, yada yada yada, but it can seem like a terrible time if there is even one group out there to ruin it. When there is a good group of people just having a good time, its almost like its not even a tournament, and thats the best part about it.

My Feedback
BigDaddyJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
I think Freebird hit the nail on the head. My only comment is that number 6 could even be a simple trophy. Cash and goods are nice but if you are startinga grassroots effort and don't have a lot of cash on hand a trophy for the top finishers will go a long way.
I'd agree. No prizes, just medals/trophies of some sort.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

fair rules. Be clear, nothing worse than having some people get called on penalties other get away with, players feel cheated and some reffs use this power to help out the teams their friends play on. make sure a rule will encourage fun play as much as discouraging negative attitudes/cheating.

Feilds that allow you to fill up your tank yourself, and have a bunch of fill stations available. I know not all feilds can give each team a couple fill stations, but it can really hurt a team when they have to go over to the front desk, hand their tank over to a ref and have them use one of the 2 hoses to fill your tank. If theres lots of fill stations, self serve type, its pop on, fill and pop off, and someone else uses it.

ref's need to listen to complaints, if its not breaking the rules but seems unfair it should be stopped. If a feild failed to mention something like amount of layers a player can wear, you will find people wearing dry suits under padded/armoured shirts and hoodies on.
a_sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB super-dupor-member

Everything they listed looks great. Only thing I'd add is attitude. The refs, the people running the event and the players. A good healthy competitive attitude makes a huge difference.

And I'd like to point out that while prizes are a blast, they aren't needed. As long as the tourny is free/cheap. If you charge alot and there's no prizes, well, that's a problem.

`Fs
Feedback
The cake is a lie.
ForeverSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Tournaments » Tournament Archive