mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Tournament Archive (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tournament-archive/)
-   -   Gravity League, thoughts and ideas for the future (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tournament-archive/91868-gravity-league-thoughts-ideas-future.html)

grimace 09-12-2009 09:06 AM

Gravity League, thoughts and ideas for the future

On Improving Gravity League
thoughts and ideas for the future

Disclaimer: I am not in any way an official representative of Gravity League.

First of all I want to thank Fluff and everyone else for starting Gravity League and working hard to make it a success. I'm really happy to see a grassroots movement by local players to get something that they want. Especially as it's a tournament format that appeals to me. I wouldn't have thought a pump tourney in New England possible until recently. I know I haven't played in the series yet (not for a lack of trying), but I've done what I could to at least help out in the last event. The turnout at P&L was amazing and I hope those numbers continue in coming events. With that said there is always room for improvement and growing pains are to be expected. What I hope to accomplish with this thread is a sharing of ideas on how we can lessen such pains and provide the players with what they want out of the league into the future.

Schedule and venues:

I feel that the series will need a clearly defined schedule of events for the season (spring through fall, or w/e) with a public calendar with events listed well in advance, for instance at the beginning of the year or several months in advance of the event date. This will provide some stability in when to expect an event and allow teams to plan properly in case they have to work around other events, work, practice, etc.

There should be specific criteria for the venues. What are the acceptable field types, viewing areas, utilities, pricing, etc? Will the event be woods, air, hyper/spool/pallet, or mixed? The field type and layout should be published before the event. A variety of field types can be good, as long as the players know what to expect ahead of time. Otherwise people may leave disappointed if they were expecting something different.

Rules and organization:

Who makes the decisions? How are the players represented? There needs to be some sort of governing body. Whether it be a committee, or elected position, or direct democracy. Some structure will be needed to make hard choices and to make sure things get done. Players need a way to voice their opinion and raise concerns. Not everyone will agree on everything all the time, so some system needs to be in place to resolve things fairly. Someone(s) will need to handle the money/business side of things even if it's non-profit.

League rules need to be either enforced or dropped. The clothing requirements immediately come to mind here. Refs for the events should be aware of League rules and willing to enforce them.

Promotion, media, web:

GL is going to need a central place for people looking for information on events rules etc. Best solution would be a dedicated website with news, rules, calendar, photo/video and forum discussion links. A dedicated page removes any indication of bias toward a specific forum and makes for easier organizing and hyperlinking. We need to post events to as many pump friendly forums as possible. We should get as many videos and pictures of events as possible and publish them as follow-up to event postings on the various forums.

These are just thoughts I've been having. Not trying to step on any toes here or anything. I just want to see this league continue to succeed. I'm willing and able to help out with websites or whatever as I worked at a webhost for 3 years. Most importantly I want to hear what everyone else thinks.

Sorry for the rant.

jk_6109 09-12-2009 01:54 PM

You make a lot of good points.
I feel like a schedule for the season ahead might be kind of hard. I dont know how the GL is run, but it seems like it is on a "lets see where we can play next" kind of schedule. But it has been working great so far.
I also agree with the rules and regulations thing. I remember the night before the first event i read all of the rules, but when i got there it just seemed that they didnt really care about the rules. For the most part we havent had any problems, and its a good group of people, but the rules may need to be enforced a bit to make it seem official.
Your best point that you made was making a website. I feel like that would help the league grow a lot in a short period of time.

dalious 09-12-2009 04:51 PM

well you managed not to step on any ones toes but you danced on them. For something just starting out it is doing better than some events that have been around longer. At this point the fine tuning is still being worked on. Why should field layout be published before the event. Wouldn't it be more of a challenge to see what you are playing on the day you arrive? Im sure once the rules are finalized they will be published, for now rule changes from event to event are fine......

-Shae

grimace 09-12-2009 06:22 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. Don't get me wrong here, my intention is not to be overly critical nor do I expect everything I said to be implemented or even considered. These are just ideas I had based on my observations. I'm not out to belittle the great work that's been done so far. I hoped to start a dialog for people to share ideas and maybe the good ones will stick.

jk_6109, Yes the yearly schedule may not be feasible based on field availability and other situations. I honestly don't know what goes into that. My reasoning was that the more advance notice the better for people and would make events seem less ad-hoc. I'm glad you like the website idea, it would certainly give GL a "face" as opposed to nebulous forum postings.

dalious, Sorry you feel I danced on some toes. It is certainly not what I wanted anyone to feel. I think Fluff and all have done great work but as you acknowledge there will be fine tuning still needed. There is no reason not to strive for improvement even if it has exceeded other events. I mentioned the field layout as others had expressed a desire to know before hand. If the intention is to have it a surprise then that is fine as long as people expect such. You are incorrect in the fact that rules have been already published for the league in pdf format in an older thread. Something a website or even a stickied thread could help to organize.

C5TEK 09-12-2009 08:06 PM

While we all welcome inputs and criticisms this is so far a toss together league that we are trying to get off the ground.Mind you Mark is doing this part time same as Carter and myself are doing what we can to help out.None of us have a ton of time to dedicate to this so we all just chip in what we can.A yearly schedule is out of the question right now because we're still working on getting fields to host events.If we all get more people to show up at these events and volunteer some time to help out we can make this work.If we get this juggernaut rolling it will only get bigger and better.Just bear with the wrinkles here for the time being and let's just have fun playing!

splattttttt 09-12-2009 09:53 PM

Today GL (gravity league)... Tomorrow who knows.
Thing is at this point and time, the best thing anyone of us can do to initiate any sought of a pump league of any kind, is just show up at any event scheduled through out your local area, and just bring a pump.
Kill semies :p
The more pumps out on the field, the better the chances are for a now world pump league.

nickakathebest1 09-13-2009 12:46 AM

IMHO the more pump players in the sport and the more pump events the better hands down i was at the field today god i cant beleave the arrogant's of some of these younger speedballer's if only there was a way to make all people love pump :gunsfiring:as far as the GL goes i love everything about it i love the play i love the people and i love seeing pumps in action i agree with JK website would get the ball rolling faster -nick

threadkiller 09-13-2009 04:05 AM

Love the name. Love the concept. I've got to remember who I loaned my Phantom to.

Not a bad idea for semis either. Gravity feed would solve a lot of problems.

jk_6109 09-13-2009 04:26 AM

^it would solve a lot of problems, but what would people do with their brand new $150 loader they just bought?

Dave 09-13-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalious (Post 972247)
well you managed not to step on any ones toes but you danced on them. For something just starting out it is doing better than some events that have been around longer. At this point the fine tuning is still being worked on. Why should field layout be published before the event. Wouldn't it be more of a challenge to see what you are playing on the day you arrive? Im sure once the rules are finalized they will be published, for now rule changes from event to event are fine......

-Shae

You realize it's supposed to be a tournament series and not back yard outlaw ball, right?