mcarterbrown.com  

Tournaments Upcoming Tournament Events and Paintball League Chat

Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
I'm surprised we haven't run into each other Lo. Hope to this season as they expand the midwest to include more of the square states.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge-NS View Post
Just a fair warning, unless you are really really used to being outgunned (or you plan on being your team's "sniper" 10th man), you might want to bring a backup with a bit more capacity. UWL can be a pretty ruthless format to play limited paint in, and even the pump guys tend not to play stock class.
I totally get that.

Speaking for myself though, that wouldn't be much of a stretch for me:

For the last year, I've been playing with my T9 (and five mags), shooting FS rounds exclusively, for all but one occasion (Pump only Scenario at OA). On one occasion, I played at a Semi-auto only walk-on field. For the rest of the year I played at a walk-on field that:
  • Allows full auto
  • Rents A-5s with RTs
  • Uses re-spawns (stronger side of the field re-spawns less frequently)
  • Sells low-cost Field Paint
  • Typically features 12-16man teams
I also played for the duration of LL3 with this same setup.

Overall, I perform better with this setup, than I ever did with any other marker. Of course there's a performance edge (range/accuracy) but, it suits my preferred style so, I strongly benefit very from this setup.

If I could find a team that I could regularly play with (to develop teamwork, communication, etc), I wouldn't hesitate one second to fill the 'sniper' position in the existing format.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
suns out guns out

Send a message via AIM to freebird

CCM Fan
The sniper must use a pump or Pistol. You would have to run your Tiberius setup as a pistol not a rifle
TEAM CAPTAIN - UPSTATE HATE
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

CCM Fan
Actually he'd be fine with it as a rifle, as long as it's mag fed. You can have a semiauto gun of any kind with a nonmotorized 50 round or less hopper. In PA a guy was using an ion with a gravity feed 50. When in doubt, email Tom Cole.

UV, that sounds like you'd be alright. As long as you can tuck in reeeealy tight I think you have it down.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
suns out guns out

CCM Fan
Quote:
Actually he'd be fine with it as a rifle, as long as it's mag fed. You can have a semiauto gun of any kind with a nonmotorized 50 round or less hopper. In PA a guy was using an ion with a gravity feed 50. When in doubt, email Tom Cole.

UV, that sounds like you'd be alright. As long as you can tuck in reeeealy tight I think you have it down.
hmm thanks for the clarification.
Look forward to playing a few events next year.

you guys should look into woodsball world cup too,
its 10 man in the woods, no special rules, Mech markers only and only agitated hoppers. We took second this year and it was by far the most fun ive had in many years.
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
SPPL/UWL Veteran

Quote:
You can have a semiauto gun of any kind with a nonmotorized hopper that holds 50 rounds or less
Actually, it's 20 rounds. But I agree otherwise.

Freebird, sounds fun. Too bad it's all the way in NY.
Lomarandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

No "Skills division" next year guys. The MWB really hate to see her go, but it is understandable from a league interest level and a business level. Maybe it can make a return next year.

UV_HALO if you were in our area, it would be great to have you come play with us.

I truly wouldn't put pump guys i know as "out-gunned" by any player. The dudes will sit totally calm behind a bunker while it is getting blasted, then just snap the dude out one shot like it was takin a sip of tea on a summer day. It is crazy the way some of those stock players operate. When thinking of sniper class, it scares me. lol. It would be great to have some more teams come out and play... I hear we may be getting one in Nebraska, anyone wanna come?

Have we had a transaction? Please leave FEEDBACK
Alpha {MWB} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

CCM Fan
I should clarify. I understand the semantics of the phrase "outgunned" are varied, I just didn't want him to come into it thinking it's a format where a player can just "go pump" or go limited paint just for the challenge without incurring some extra hardship. Because it's a woods tourney I feel like sometimes there's the false impression that people don't shoot as much as in airball, and a new guy ought to get fair notice of that.

I also don't subscribe to the notion that a player who plays pump exclusively is better than one who does not (and I'm not saying that any of you think that, but we all know that some people do). Nowadays, if I don't know somebody and they are talking about playing pump, I usually err on the side of assuming they are doing it for the extra challenge, which can be a problem on a competitive team. I know a couple of very good pump players who use semis on my team because it's better to have the firepower when you need it to back a buddy up, or to squeeze somebody out of a tight spot. We wouldn't allow a player other than the sniper to use one. Hell, I have an S6.5 I'd love to use in the format, but I accept that my team needs more fire, so I shoot my Angel or my Fusion in competition.

And yeah, you have teams around like Total Grief who play all pump (in open no less), but they do sometimes pay a competitive price for it. Their attitude towards it is different and so they're comfortable with possible lost ground as a result of simply having more paint flying at them than they can return. They are also all experts at playing pump almost all of the time so they can work with this more often than others.

So to clarify, with all that as my reasoning, what I was really getting at is this. Go pump or limited paint if you are the sniper, but if you're not, don't be dissapointed if what's best for your team is a good consistent semi. I'm also speaking from the Open division, so take that for what it's worth. I'm not trying to talk down to anybody or make it seem like playing pump or limited paint isn't worth it. I just want somebody whose new to the format and looking for a team, to know that there's a chance you'll have to shoot semi if there's already an established sniper on that team.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just attempting to explain my comments better without offending anybody or making it sound like I don't like pump players.

Aggressive! Kill!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
suns out guns out

CCM Fan
woodsball world cup we shot 32 cases, in 2 days. with mech markers.
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

CCM Fan
I think our average was around that for each event we played. WWC certainly looks interesting.

Aggressive! Kill!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Tournaments