mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Tournaments (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tournaments/)
-   -   Pointman Woodsball League (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tournaments/197310-pointman-woodsball-league.html)

Longshot 03-28-2012 03:45 PM

Pointman Woodsball League

Hey All,

The Pointman Woodsball League site is up; this is our second season playing this way and as the site is now up I'm interested to hear MCB feedback on the format.

In short, this league is my way of doing something towards playing the way I like to play. Fun first, with little teams who can get to know and compete against one another through the season.

pointmanwoodsball.com

In short:

5 vs 5
scoring on eliminations, flags and objectives
use any gear
offset points balance firepower and skill
played locally, ranked globally
focus on fun and sportsmanship
reduced paint and entry fees at hosting fields
discounts at supporting retailers

$10 entry per player per season

Longshot 04-08-2012 04:17 PM

Bumping this to encourage MCB'ers to provide some feedback.

Is there something about the format you hate or seems stupid? Whole thing seem confusing? Wondering where (geographically) this format plays? Feel free to say so. :)

Every once in a while we see a thread here that points out how certain aspects of the game have gone downhill, or how firepower or cheating have ruined the local game or how young players get scared off before they can come to enjoy the game.

In a way, this is an effort to counter all that stuff (yes, I say that even though this format allows unlimited ROF against pump or stock players) and I'm really eager to have people help me out by sharing good feedback.

Anyway...fire away. :)

diesel10 04-08-2012 06:28 PM

The guys at TE paintball in Great Falls Montana are planning on doing it as a series. I unfortunately can not play in the series this year as my schedule is crap. I like the thought of how it works. I like the overall round count allowed on the field as it kind of evens out the arms race.

B-17 04-08-2012 07:23 PM

The $10 price seems like a much nicer one than the speedball tournaments $50+

I see some potential in this, but as usual there are some inherent flaws with the reporting of scoring. This is not due to the tournament, but the mentality of paintball today, where even the pros cheat.

diesel10 04-08-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-17 (Post 2294439)

I see some potential in this, but as usual there are some inherent flaws with the reporting of scoring. This is not due to the tournament, but the mentality of paintball today, where even the pros cheat.

Well from all I understand the entire point is it is not a tournament. It is a less formal series. To me it is a rec. league (softball, basketball, hockey, insert your preference here) mentality but with paintball. Cost is low and it is for fun but score it kept for the bragging rights.

Ghostpilot 04-09-2012 04:41 AM

As I see it, it is just a remedy for the well known "call-15-players-who-say-yes-but-only-3-show-up"-problem. From my standpoint as I normally was guy calling all friends and setting up game days, I would gladly pay even more than 10CAD to offload all the organisatory things to someone else and just go play some paintball.
If people participate out of their own free will and also willingly pay a small fee for the organisatory things, it means that it's more likely that all 15 of the yes-sayers actually show up at game day.
Another thing... In any other league (except maybe uwl) it would look strange if an all pump team signed up, here it even gives bonus points. That makes an old school pump rec-ball player happy.

Longshot 04-09-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-17 (Post 2294439)

Thanks B-17 (yay WWII aircraft!), glad the $10 entry seems worthwhile. Last season I didn't charge, partly because this was a totally new idea which I expected to have to tweak and partly because it was just me an an excel sheet keep score.

The database (when its up later this month) should add some real value for players but even this isn't the reason I've decided to charge something starting this season.

The fee is a result of having some teams join on paper but never hit the field...I figure if there is some minor barrier to entry only the truly interested will join.

Maybe this is a terrible idea; we'll see.

So far as flaws in scoring, ours is totally a system shady people can take advantage of. All it takes is three teams to get together and decide to record whatever crazy results they want to report and their scores will become official. The host field would either have to have not noticed this or be in on it, but I suppose even that is possible.

Then the next month, when the cheater teams play another teams that won't report fake scores the cheaters may not do as well. I guess three teams could form in an area specifically to post fake scores all year, but it'd be a heck of a lot of time and money put into winning a t-shirt. Since I speak to the host fields all through the season I expect cheaters on this scale would be found out.

What I've seen so far in Canadian play is that players behave opposite to what you'd expect when given the opportunity to ref and score themselves. They become really honest, because they know that all the other players there that day are watching.

We record scores right after the game, and nothing weeds out some guy claiming to have gotten four kills and hung the flag than the opposing team and refs all saying "no you didn't, we were all there ten minutes ago and you got shot out by your own team".

In fact, what I've seen is that errors in scoring are more likely to creep in when its two weeks after the game and I'm trying to read score sheets to determine who should get a missing kill added to their personal stats. Hopefully being able to score online to the Scoring database will help with that as it will point out those inconsistencies.

Anyway, its totally not perfect but its amazing how players step up when expected to be honourable and held to a high standard by others in the game.

That and we kick out idiots.

Longshot 04-20-2012 02:44 PM

Rules updated (we hope for added fun)

Rules updates now official!
  • Games are now only 10 minutes long.
  • Min number of players on team roster is 5, with no max roster size (we still play 5 vs 5).
  • Any number of teams can show up for game day.
  • No minimum or maximum number of games/teams you can play on a game day.
  • Season score calculated normally based on average points per game, with 10 additional points added to the final total for teams that play more than 36 games over the season (March through October).
  • No more paint sharing.

We considered reducing the paint limit per person, but are looking at this for at least one more month before making a change (if any).

Let us know if you love/hate.

Ghostpilot 04-22-2012 04:56 AM

I just love to play some paintball. The safety rules you follow no matter what. The other rules you follow to be able to play on equal terms. Then you just go there and have a great time. Beautifully simple really.

Longshot 04-25-2012 05:05 PM

Some pics from our last game day (this one happened to be in Sweden, but we can set up a game day wherever you are).

First one is Ghostpilot holding the objective flag.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...57679400_n.jpg

A couple of Stockholm Ignition guys heading towards a flag hang.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...97485900_n.jpg

Me repping a Tonsixer pump and sporting some stylish M90 pants. ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...56033533_n.jpg