mcarterbrown.com  

VintageRex.com Vintagerex is Paintball's Premiere Paintball Museum. Help us make it better by posting missing images, info, etc.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Secret SWAT Team

Send a message via AIM to ChaplainBane Send a message via MSN to ChaplainBane Send a message via Yahoo to ChaplainBane

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
I also can confirm that Blazer serial numbers do not start in the 60s. I have seen Blazer 01 and BZ003 "Lillith" resides with me. I also remember a particular conversation in which I learned that the first production Blazer assembled and sold was BZ006.

"I have alot of filthy habits. Most of which I find enjoyable" -Willie Nelson as Doc Holliday
Blazer #003
Typhoon #579
ChaplainBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

I believe Riddler has the right time frame. The first ones would not have been out in '92, based on the following: My NPPL experience was '93-'95. Sometime in the latter part of that time I went to visit Glenn and wound up BS'ing with him about some some stuff. I was kind of bitching to him about how big and heavy and slow the Typhoon was (being a mag-sponsored guy myself) so we went in the shop and he showed me one of the Blazer bodies on his mill. There were a few raw bodies laying around. He was still trying to decide if he would use threads for the barrel. This was before ANY Blazer had gone out, or been anodized or anything, because I asked to shoot one and he said he still had to work out the 4-way mounting or something.
So, anyway, that was in the Sacramento shop, and he had been there awhile already from Gold Circle, and he left there sometime in '92-'93 I believe.
FWIW.
Brent.
MassDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

The first BLAZERS were sold to the public in late 1996.

I remember it very well because the Blazer had a very infamous development. It was first announced way back in 1992, as an all aluminium Typhoon, designed for the tournament player, and could fire at ultra fast speeds without the problems associated with the "then new" autocockers.

Glenn made up some non-functional prototypes that he would bring around to different events in 92-93. During that time, the design was worked out, and full-scale production was to start at the end of 1993, and sales would start at the start of 1994.

But that never happened. The truth was that Palmer was not setup to fabricate the bodies. The original plan was to invest in some expensive CNC equipment... but the "expensive" part got in the way. Then they thought about farming the components out to local shops (ie Montneel, etc).

But in the end, they worked out a deal with Sterling LTD, where they would make 2500 bodies in exchange for a similar number of Sterling AUTOCOCKING kits.

The Blazer, however, was only vaporware. Glenn left it to Sterling to work out lots of the details, and as you might guess, they ran into lots and lots of problems, delays, mistakes, etc. Glenn, on his side, also had his own issues with the autococking kits. This dragged on and on into mid 1995 (almost 20 months!).

By that time, Glenn had finished all the autococking kits to Sterling, and suddenly Sterling declared they could not make the bodies. This was a disaster. Palmer demanded all the casting be shipped back to California, but it was stuck in customs for months.

Eventually he got those casting, and made deals with local shops to finish the bodies.
HOWEVER, I do remember in 1995, when he was really frustrated, he was selling off some of the prototypes at events in order to increase visibility, demand, etc... get reviews (ie Ravi, etc).
. For the OP, you gun would have been a preproduction prototype that could very well have been first made back in 1992.

Shortly after STERLING LTD screwed Palmer over by dragging out the Blazer for nearly 2 years.... then dropping the project, they used the Blazer design as a basis for the Sterling SOVEREIGN. Pretty ****ty move of there part.

WELL.. as you could guess, by the time Palmer finally got the Blazers to sell in late 1996, electros were already on the market. Shockers in 1996, then Angels, RMs, and Bushys a year later. The demand for a fast mech gun dropped to -zero-. The only people buying them were fanboys and rich kids.

Anyway, thats the short version.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Your post
That makes perfect sense HP, and after reading it I remember him talking about some of that. He kinda got a screwing over the whole thing. When I was there I think he had just got those bodies in, and they were slugs, more or less, and were stacked in a cardboard barrel.
Wow. That was a while back. How things have changed...
Brent.
MassDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassDriver View Post
That makes perfect sense HP.
Its one of the great "What ifs" in paintball.

Palmer had the Blazer design way back in 1992, but without the ability to produce them. But what if he did get them out in large numbers in late 1992 instead of 1996?

That was the era of the mech semis, and in 92, guns like cockers and mags were mostly known for there bugs and quirks. A massive niche aftermarket developed just to make mags/cockers usable for tournaments, and such.

And what was Sterling thinking? They drag there feet for 2 years before telling Palmer they will be unable to make them.... then release a very similar gun shortly afterwards?

I guess thats not that strange. Especially in the 90s when everyone was ripping off everyone else.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Hmmmmm, interesting. Who knows? Unless Greg or Glenn himself come in here, then we may not know. Although with a number like 0068, better chance that it was production, considering that it started at 0001. Maybe it was an early made one, but sat around a bit while it was getting finished.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
The first BLAZERS were sold to the public in late 1996.

I remember it very well because the Blazer had a very infamous development. It was first announced way back in 1992, as an all aluminium Typhoon, designed for the tournament player, and could fire at ultra fast speeds without the problems associated with the "then new" autocockers.

Glenn made up some non-functional prototypes that he would bring around to different events in 92-93. During that time, the design was worked out, and full-scale production was to start at the end of 1993, and sales would start at the start of 1994.

But that never happened. The truth was that Palmer was not setup to fabricate the bodies. The original plan was to invest in some expensive CNC equipment... but the "expensive" part got in the way. Then they thought about farming the components out to local shops (ie Montneel, etc).

But in the end, they worked out a deal with Sterling LTD, where they would make 2500 bodies in exchange for a similar number of Sterling AUTOCOCKING kits.

The Blazer, however, was only vaporware. Glenn left it to Sterling to work out lots of the details, and as you might guess, they ran into lots and lots of problems, delays, mistakes, etc. Glenn, on his side, also had his own issues with the autococking kits. This dragged on and on into mid 1995 (almost 20 months!).

By that time, Glenn had finished all the autococking kits to Sterling, and suddenly Sterling declared they could not make the bodies. This was a disaster. Palmer demanded all the casting be shipped back to California, but it was stuck in customs for months.

Eventually he got those casting, and made deals with local shops to finish the bodies.
HOWEVER, I do remember in 1995, when he was really frustrated, he was selling off some of the prototypes at events in order to increase visibility, demand, etc... get reviews (ie Ravi, etc).
. For the OP, you gun would have been a preproduction prototype that could very well have been first made back in 1992.

Shortly after STERLING LTD screwed Palmer over by dragging out the Blazer for nearly 2 years.... then dropping the project, they used the Blazer design as a basis for the Sterling SOVEREIGN. Pretty ****ty move of there part.

WELL.. as you could guess, by the time Palmer finally got the Blazers to sell in late 1996, electros were already on the market. Shockers in 1996, then Angels, RMs, and Bushys a year later. The demand for a fast mech gun dropped to -zero-. The only people buying them were fanboys and rich kids.

Anyway, thats the short version.
WOW. VR should be changed to include this. You can't get info like this from old articles.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
WOW. VR should be changed to include this. You can't get info like this from old articles.
Lots of paintguns have a similar history. Problems with designs, contractors, lawyers, suppliers, distributors, vendors, competition, owners, buyers, etc.

And very often, companies have projects "in the pipe" that we never even see or hear about.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Thanks HP! All that stuff sounds pretty familiar to me, but I didn't remember any of it. Too bad the POG forums at paintmagazine.com are gone... There was a lot of good discussion/info there.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Good info Nick.
I took this picture when I was at EMR a few years back for Pump Pandemonium. I think there were other Blazers in the display case as well but I don't really remember. The may have each had different dates on them?
-Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blazer_proto.jpg (34.4 KB, 107 views)
bacci paintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Museum » VintageRex.com