mcarterbrown.com  

VintageRex.com Vintagerex is Paintball's Premiere Paintball Museum. Help us make it better by posting missing images, info, etc.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Post Cooper-T Accessory Product/Parts Listing (post your pics!)

I've always been a big fan of Cooper-T parts. The late Chauncey was an innovator in our sport. His accessory products were simple and improved a lot of various pieces of equipment in early paintball. His signature red anodizing finish on aluminum products was also cool as hell. It was his way of marking the products he made and believed in. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but from what I've read on here, it seems like Chauncey was a guy who loved the sport. He had the mind and the means to improve a lot of the top equipment of his day and offered these parts to the masses.

When the price is right, I find myself snagging pieces of his work, on here and eBay, whenever they pop up for sale - often times I don't own the guns these parts were made for, but the rarity of some of these products is enough for me. I'm still seeing a new part pop up for sale every once and awhile that I've never seen before. It's also worth noting the high demand that still exists for Chauncey's products.

Here is a link (via Waybackmachine) of Cooper-T's old website: Cooper-T Products - Paintball Accessories and Pest Control Products. Some of his later stuff is listed on the site with the original prices.

I also found a thread on a5og.net (2007) announcing that Chauncey had passed away (Cooper T Passed Away). It's sad to see these early paintball innovators leave us, but such is life. He left his mark and moved on. Here is a screen-capture of the announcement:

Chauncey Obituary - a5og.net.jpg

I'm starting this thread to, as best we can, pay homage to Chauncey's work and catalog as many Cooper-T products as possible. Post your Cooper-T pictures here with a brief description of the product. It will be interesting to see what's out there and get all of these products listed in one place to simplify further searches.

-steve

--- MCB FEEDBACK ---
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by ranger steve; 08-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.
ranger steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'll start off with some bolt pictures that I have. Some of these bolts I own, or have owned in the past, but the majority of them I have seen on here and simply saved the photo. I have an MCB folder on my external HD that is dedicated to the cool sh*t I see on here and want to save for ideas when I'm brainstorming future projects!

Anyway, from what I've read on here, Chauncey is credited with coming up with the retractable bearing and quick-pull bolts that a lot of us use in our Sheridan pumps. I've also heard, from several of the old-timers on here, that he never patented this unique design after Sheridan commissioned him to invent a better bolt for their paintball guns. Thus leading Sheridan/PMI to copy/steal the basic design for their "Speed Demon" bolts that were installed in KP3s, PGP2s and other later model Sheridan guns. I've heard there was a lawsuit filed by Chauncey, but that's all I know.

A side-by-side comparison of a PMI Speed Demon and Cooper-T bolt. I believe these are both standard PMI length.

Cooper-T - Speed Demon side-by-side.jpg

A lot of guys on here - myself included - swear by Chauncy's retractable bearing design and prefer them over the Speed Demon variants. Maybe it's the rarity, when compared to the more common factory-built Speed Demons, but to me they seem to cycle more smoothly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've found the red anno'd aluminum bolts were sold as "EZ-Pull Bolts" and the Black/White Delrin bolts were sold as "Better Bolts".

...So here is what I have to add:

*KP2 red aluminum EZ Pull. This one I still own and is installed in my early model KP2. I had some issues with it initially seating in this KP2 - see here (Cooper T bolt fitment issue in a KP2). However, after several hundred shots it has settled in and completely locks when the pump handle is forward. This thing is buttery-smooth and solid. I can pump this KP2 with pretty much a flick of the wrist. It gives the gun an almost "shotgun-like" action on the reload; it's very snappy and crisp.

KP2 Cooper-T Bolt - 2.JPG
KP2 Cooper-T Bolt - 1.jpg

--- MCB FEEDBACK ---

Last edited by ranger steve; 08-07-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Sheridan standard length Better Bolt and KP2/KP3 EZ-Pull bolts. I think Snaparen posted these photos originally, but I could be wrong. You'll notice that the bearings are in different locations, otherwise these two bolts are identical. Apparently Sheridan/PMI moved the bearing holes (and subsequently the bearing locations) on their KP3s and Speed Demon bolts. From what I've read there was some bad blood between Sheridan/PMI and Chauncey. And rightfully so, if they did in fact steal his design. KP3s were manufactured with a different bearing hole location to keep Cooper-T KP2 bolts from functioning properly when installed in a KP3 - I'm guessing to keep Chauncey from selling his existing KP2 bolts for the newer rifles Sheridan was making. I've also read that Sheridan did this to streamline their machine work for KP3s and their other guns. Who knows, but it makes for an interesting back story.

KP2-KP3 - Cooper-T Bolt Comparison - 1.jpg
KP2-KP3 - Cooper-T Bolt Comparison - 2.jpg

--- MCB FEEDBACK ---

Last edited by ranger steve; 08-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Here is an example of an EZ-Pull variant for the PGP. I owned this bolt for awhile, but later sold it on here after selling my last PGP. The shade of the red anodizing was a little lighter than the other EZ Pulls I own. It was really more of an orangish-pink color. Also, the larger thumb screw seen on a lot of the earlier EZ-Pulls is missing. This screw could be backed out by hand to allow for the removal of the threaded pump arm. Similar to the Speed Demon design, but with threading. Instead this bolt had a much smaller thumb screw that was the size of an average Allen-key bolt. However, there was not hexagonal recess for an Allen wrench and the outside of the screw was knurled to aid in gripping.

PGP Cooper-T Red Bolt - 1.jpg
PGP Cooper-T Red Bolt - 2.jpg
PGP Cooper-T Red Bolt - 3.jpg

And here is an example of a black delrin, flat faced PGP bolt:
PGP Cooper-T Delrin Bolt - Flat Face - 1.JPG

--- MCB FEEDBACK ---

Last edited by ranger steve; 08-05-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Here is an example of a Cooper-T PGP2K delrin bolt. Unlike the other delrin bolts made by Chauncy, this one does not have the channel milled into the bottom to add backspin to the ball (think Flatline barrel concept). This bolt does have a neat feature that solved the common problem of PGP2Ks breaking paint in the breach due to the air burst hitting the ball at the bottom - see this animation for a visual of what I'm talking about (http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/pgp.gif). This bolt has a small nub that pushes the ball forward to help clear the air burst and hopefully reduce the chances of a breach break (pretty ingenious). What's even cooler is the nub is incorporated into the bearing retraction. General Joe's came up with a similar aftermarket bolt design that helped to fixed this issue. You'll also notice that the cocking lug is a lot thicker and more sturdy when compared to the stock lug found on the OEM bolt.

Here is a review from Stock-Class Paintball Network:
Stock-Class Paintball Network - PGP2K Cooper T Bolt Review

Pics:

PGP Cooper-T Delrin Bolt - 1.JPG
PGP Cooper-T Delrin Bolt - 2.JPG
PGP Cooper-T Delrin Bolt - 4.JPG

--- MCB FEEDBACK ---

Last edited by ranger steve; 08-06-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Here are some examples of Cooper-T's "Better Bolts". These bolts had a small channel milled in the bottom to shoot the burst of CO2 along the bottom of the bolt so that it would hit the paintball low, thus producing a backwards roll down the barrel and backspin in flight. As I touched on in my last post, he was trying to achieve what Tippmann would later attempt with the Flatline barrel design. This backspin would cause the ball to travel further. Although a lot of players note that to be done effectively the paint to bore match would have to be off considerably - and accuracy would suffur. A smaller ball, in respect to the barrel ID, would be needed so that the ball could effectively spin backwards in the barrel.

Here is a paste from Cooper-T's website about these bolts:

The Better Bolts will add approximately 100ft in range in the gun they are designed for. They are direct replacements. The undershot puts a sever back spin on the ball so it flies like a golf ball. You get a flat-line shot to the extreme range. You get more shots per tank because the velocity is lower (260-270). You will not believe what this bolt does.

Standard PMI length:
Sheridan Standard - Cooper-T Delrin Backspin Bolt - 2.jpg
Sheridan Standard - Cooper-T Delrin Backspin Bolt.jpg

KP3 (what appears to be white delrin):
KP-3 Cooper-T Delrin Bolt.JPG

List of last available Better Bolts off of the old website:
Cooper-T Better Bolts.jpg

--- MCB FEEDBACK ---

Last edited by ranger steve; 08-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
A photo of a Cooper-T PGP Constant-Air kit that I found on here. I've never seen one of these in person, but it looks like it is a complete drop in kit and is reversible if you wanted to go back to a 12 gram set-up (no drilling into the lower tube):

PGP CA kit.jpg

--- MCB FEEDBACK ---
Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

In action.

HPNX0608.JPG

HPNX0609.JPG

HPNX0610.JPG

HPNX0614.JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Cooper-T IMP for Sheridans:

HPNX0945.JPG

HPNX0946.JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

I want a bleed to fill for launcher fun.
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Museum » VintageRex.com