mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   VintageRex.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/vintagerex-com/)
-   -   vm68 double trouble trigger (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/vintagerex-com/241733-vm68-double-trouble-trigger.html)

the_ugly1 09-11-2013 07:31 PM

vm68 double trouble trigger

:gunsfiring: Anyone know where to get a double trouble trigger for a vm68?

Fubarius 09-15-2013 12:19 AM

That's a rare one. Haven't seen one in a few years, and there's a bit of a story to that one. Local shop buys a parts box from some older former player. Shop owner calls me up and wants me to help sorting it all out. After digging through the whole thing we find one Typhoon (now mine, still needs a rebuild), a Mega Z clone (a Boxer I think), a complete VM-68, and yes, a double trouble trigger frame for it.

I babbled incoherently for about 10 minutes after pulling that out of the box. ("wow...it's...it's... no fricken way... wow... it's...") I quickly assemble the VM with the double trouble and we proceed to waste a LOT of CO2 around the shop. Don't know how players ever actually fed paint into that setup, there's no way a plain gravity feed would do it. Trigger pull is still VM stiff, so fatigue will still be a limiting factor over a long game.

Anywho I do a little internet bragging around the forums, mentioning the name of the shop (a little free advertising for my buddy). The next day my friend gets a call from someone who says their name is listed on the original patent for that trigger and even they didn't have a working example and would very much like to purchase it. The shop (being a business) gladly sold it to them at a price they both were happy with.

So one of the guys who invented the darn thing had trouble finding one. As for us mere mortals, well good luck.

the_ugly1 09-15-2013 11:00 AM

vm 68 double trouble trigger

is there anyway to get a disassembled parts view with measurements so i can copy it?

Please?:(

HP_Lovecraft 09-20-2013 02:57 PM

There is a good write up here

and a copy of the patent here

I used to be very familiar with the standard trigger. I had taken mine apart... lost parts... repeat.

The double-trouble in the link looks like it has all the same parts as the standard trigger, but with an additional 2nd sear, linked at the opposite side of the trigger pivot, so that it pulls as the trigger goes forward, instead of rearward. That 2nd-2nd sear has an additional spring, and the main spring is obviously much, much stronger.

It seems like one of those "should work in theory" deals, that are much harder to do in reality.

Frizzle Fry 09-20-2013 03:39 PM

Didn't realize they were that rare now.

Anyhow, you don't wanna take your VM trigger assembly apart, trust me. I've done it a few hundred times (granted not recently) and it is not ever a fun experience putting it back together again. Besides, then it won't be field legal!

the_ugly1 09-21-2013 03:52 PM

field legal

Most fields up here in Canada don't care, especially with the new guns firing 15 balls a second. (eek!) Gotta keep up somehow. Thanks for the links. i looked at them earlier, just seeing if anyone had one with measurements
:gunsfiring:

HP_Lovecraft 09-24-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 2806658)
Didn't realize they were that rare now.

I remember the automag versions were hugely popular. Most of the mag owners at the local field had them installed back around 94? 95?

Then when they became non-legal most places.... they had to be sent back to whomever made them to install the "lock out" kit that allowed them to be single-shot when you pushed in a button. Later versions came with that button. (which basically was just a trigger block).

But I've never seen the VM68 version at a field. By 94/95, VM68s were no longer a "high end" tournament gun. Everything was mags, and cockers, (with mostly Tippmanns, Montneels, F2s, etc taking up the slack).

And believe me, I LOVED my VM68. I did everything imaginable to it. But the double-trouble had no interest. It wasnt my tournament gun, and it wasnt really tournament legal anyway. It ended up as an expensive novelty.

Kinda like those trigger "crank" kits? WHo remembers those?

Jordan 10-05-2013 09:21 PM

You mean the electric "crank" kits? I almost bought one for a Pro-Lite back in the day, never did.

tippmann_guy 11-29-2013 09:59 AM

A neighbour of mine had a trigger crank lot growing up ... Thing was stupid as hell

big jim 11-29-2013 10:11 AM

Now the Palmer "Grinder" on the other hand........ I would love one of those for a wall hanger.