mcarterbrown.com  

VintageRex.com Vintagerex is Paintball's Premiere Paintball Museum. Help us make it better by posting missing images, info, etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

South Bay Arms / Mac 1 - Master Blaster Pump

I'm really excited about this piece of history I received from Tim McMurray of Mac 1 on Saturday.
This is a very small production paintgun made off the Crosman MK1 Pellet Pistol which was (one of) Mac 1's first involvement with South Bay Arms (Earon Carter and Stan Russell).

Right now it's just a barrel and pump kit that I will eventually be adding on to a stock Crosman MK1. The Barrel assembled basically screws onto the front of the MK1.

As far as I've been able to dig up, these were made in early 1985, around the same time that Stan Russell and Earon Carter were making Delrin pump handles for Tim McMurray at Mac 1.
I would guess this paintgun predates the Annihilator by close to a years (or more). Annihilators premiered in August of 1986.

Here is Tim McMurray talking about this barrel roughtly assembled on a Mock up Crosman MK 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tn5O13Qy7c

Here is this Master Blaster pictured in Frontline (I'm pretty sure this is the exact barrel setup I receive from Tim:

This is the second of these Master Blasters paintguns (or as Earon refers to it, the Elevator Gun) that I've come across. I would guess production was under ten.
The pump stroke is backwards (since the Crosman MK1's hammer cocks forward instead of back) and as Tim McMurray of Mac 1 says, these were "never gonna fly" and were "more of a development exercise" to test Earon and Stan.

And here is some more info and photos with a brief Mac 1 timeline at the bottom:
Tim McMurray's Short Barrel Master Blaster / Elevator Gun - Old News Paintball History
-Dan

Last edited by bacci paintball; 07-14-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added video info...
bacci paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

i just watched your vids this past weekend on this. Insanely cool marker.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
Very cool!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

A continuation on this post from over a year ago. Here is Stanley Russell's Master Blaster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFSkFwE2idM

This was the first Master Blaster Stan built (with Earon Carter at South Bay Arms). Tim McMurray's was likely the second and Earon's was closer towards the end of the run. Stan estimates between 4 and 6 were made.

Differences between the three I've seen:
Stan's:
Actual lower feed tube plug (looks like a cut down nightmare plug but should predate the nightmare?).
Pump handle is not notched all the way back (since as Stan said he either didn't have the Sheridan pumps cut yet or he made this handle from scratch).
Barrel lengths are the same. Two round tubes, both are same od as a Sheridan lower tube I believe.
Single sided connection to platform (elevator).
Stock plastic Mark 1 grips.

Tim's Master Blaster:
Same OD lower tubes.
Uses a PG bolt as the lower tube stopper (benefit would be that according to Stan it wouldn't get lost, and disadvantage is that is holds less balls).
Pump is same length, but has rings all the way back.
Not currently attached to a Mark 1 Crosman Pistol.
Single sided connection to platform (elevator).
Master Blaster pictured in Front Line and APG articles.

Earon's Master Blaster / "Elevator Gun":
Long barrel.
Longer pump handle.
Dual sided connection to platform (elevator).
Wood grips from McMurray.
Barrel and feed tubes are round but have the sides flattened and have a neat swirl from being machining prior to anodizing.
"Shoots through plywood" - Earon Carter

And more details at:
Stanley Russell's Master Blaster Elevator Gun c. 1985 - Old News Paintball History

mcarterbrown.com » Museum » VintageRex.com