mcarterbrown.com  

VM Empire Where the VM-68's and PMI-3 Come out to play

Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB>my wallet

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'm sorry, I totally forgot about it. I was busy shooting people and then very drunk. I saw the gun in my trunk as I was packing up today and felt like an idiot. I didn't even get co2 filled.
This tank regulator I have is really annoying me. It doesn't fit all my ASAs right. My procarbine only wants to shoot 240 on it too, with my old tank it shot 300 no problem. I'm gonna see if Ninja will send me one factory set at 900 psi. Hopefully that will solve all my problems (except maybe my bad memory loss). If not, I may just end up selling or trading the gun. As cool as it is, I have 7 others to use too and I'm sure I'll be acquiring more.
My Collection
feedback
GtrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Send a message via AIM to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

No biggie. I was pretty busy shooting stuff too.

I just kept thinking of it 'cause 2 out of the 3 of us were shooting VMs (after the PM8, PMR, Model 98, A5, KP2 and 2 Grey Ghosts all decided to stop working somewhere between the chrony session Friday night, and returning to the chrony Saturday morning...)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Back in the woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
VMs have such a huge draw of air that the reg lag from the HPA will starve the valve. Later VMs might work better with there internal EC system.
I've recently converted an older EXC-68 from CO2 to HPA and I've been debating whether or not to keep the factory expansion chamber. As you said above, the gun does have a "huge draw of air". The hole between the two "chambers" inside the EC is very small. I'm wondering if the hole acts as a volume choke point (bad) or if the EC becomes a buffer where the extra capacity of the EC's second half augments what's released by the tank regulator (good).

Do you think I'd be better off enlarging the hole, removing the EC altogether, or leaving it as is? I'm easily getting up to the high 280 fps with the EC in place, but it might be nice to lighten the beast just a little...
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

When converting older CO2 specific markers to HPA, having the added volume of a gutted out Ex Chamber close to the valve helps compensate for smaller internal passages. IMO if you were to remove the EC you'd likely start seeing a drop in velocity and possibly a loss of proper function.
Enlarging the internal passages will also help.
A third option is shimming the tanks regulator to ouput higher pressures comparable to CO2 at its optimum (let's say ~1100psi) but it's not to be done on a whim if you are unsure of your regulators operation.
I have no life, I'm just a dad in constant flux between baby naps and 8yr old tantrums.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Back in the woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
When converting older CO2 specific markers to HPA, having the added volume of a gutted out Ex Chamber close to the valve helps compensate for smaller internal passages. IMO if you were to remove the EC you'd likely start seeing a drop in velocity and possibly a loss of proper function.
Enlarging the internal passages will also help.
A third option is shimming the tanks regulator to ouput higher pressures comparable to CO2 at its optimum (let's say ~1100psi) but it's not to be done on a whim if you are unsure of your regulators operation.
So, when you say "gutted out"...? Right now, there's nothing inside the EXC-68's expansion chamber except an inner tube and an outer casing, with a small hole to allow gas to pass from one into the other. You can't remove the inner chamber (tube), as it acts as an end cap, securing the outer casing to the front of the gun's body.

Would you recommend enlarging the hole between the two chambers of the EC or maybe adding more holes? Thanks for the response.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB>my wallet

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
While we're on the subject, if I do experience loss of pressure once I get my new tank reg, would an empty 7oz co2 tank on an asa extender run into my air tank make for a huge EC? (And I'd get to keep the awesome tank under the barrel look).

And I'm jealous of you Giuseppe, those ECs look great, I wish mine came with one.

Also I ordered a Ninja reg today factory set at 900psi, they will do it at no extra charge (although their shipping is a bit steep). The regs are only like $35 and I get to replace my guerilla one I hate.
My Collection
feedback

Last edited by GtrLvr; 09-30-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB>my wallet

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
A little update if anyone cares. I got a tank reg from Ninja set at 900psi. It shot 250-260 with tiny paint in the giant Armson barrel. I shot 2 pods and a hopper through it over the course of 2 hours or so and it shot nicely. I finally chopped a ball in it and it wouldn't recock consistently or shoot as hard. So I changed guns (I do that alot, I have so many and want to use them all).

I was getting the occasional rollout with my homemade detent. The bolt seems to have pinched the end of the forward "finger" a bit. Does anyone have a suggestion for good material to use to make a detent? I used some dense foam but I'd like something better. I don't really want to buy one for like $20.

It was a joy to play with. Nice and loud. I'll probably be keeping it to use on those days when I feel like I'm doing too good and want to put myself at more of a disadvantage. And scare the new guys.
My Collection
feedback
Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Send a message via AIM to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

You can find the "real" detents cheaper than $20. For temporary, flip it over and use the fingers the "other way". I've used neoprene gasket material in a pinch but the "real thing" seems to last longer.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Its funny all my co2 tanks need to checked so i just put an hp tank on my vm and it worked like a champ had to turn the gun down even. the Vm setup is a back bottle with a 3 or 4 stage ec moded stock bolt and a smartparts teardrop barrel. I must say it was fun running a Vm so close to stock again
Here is a pic of the me and the gun from when I made it to Adventure games in NH http://agpaintball.com/pic%20cal/201...-29/index.html 3rd one down in the left row

Last edited by EvilEd; 10-20-2010 at 01:57 AM.
EvilEd is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » VM Empire