mcarterbrown.com  

VM Empire Where the VM-68's and PMI-3 Come out to play

Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Heavy is good.

yeah, I know a long time ago we used to just drill out the block behind the ASA to provide a bit of expansion. This VM is a virgin, aside from the receiver being anodized blue.

I've been searching for an EC for a while. I'd love to get a black rain EC, but I'm sure I'd pay a huge penny for that.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel View Post
well, yeah. that I know.
Would running a remote have any expansion chamber effect? Finding an EC for these is near impossible these days.
Run a back bottle set up.

Smiley
infamoussmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Heavy is good.

I never liked how the bottles fit in a Back bottle setup...
Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
12 year hiatus over...

I always wanted a Black Rain for mine... closest I got was a Whispering Death...I gotta add pics to the thread. I ran a Pro Line (or pro comp - same company that made the power feeds, whichever that was) and the WD depending on my mood. The Pro was a lot smaller but has the option of removing part and exposing another ASA to add a front bottle.

I ran BB - that ring from the tank on each shot will drive you nuts!

Last edited by justme-; 07-07-2012 at 08:32 PM.
justme- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Back in the woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel View Post
Hmm, maybe it's just time to retire the old girl and sell her off for something like an A5 or X7
Blasphemer! Sell the greatest paintball marker ever made?!?!

I run my `95 EXC-68 on a Pure Energy HPA tank with zero problems. No modifications necessary and the velocity stays stable all day long. I don't see any reason why a remote line would make a significant difference. But, compared to the old metal CO2 tank, the carbon-wrapped HPA tank on a bottom line is no problem at all.

I'll try to find some pix to upload.

<edit> Here are two. Sorry you can't see the tank better. And, yes, those are my teammates behind me!

I was trying out a Smart Parts All American barrel that day. I usually use an older Armson Pro-Series or Lapco Assault. The SP AA wasn't quite as accurate as the Armson, at least with the field paint we were using that day...

Obviously, Smiley has worked on many more VM's than I'll ever know. I'm sure he can explain the logic behind his recommendation to swap the valve spring. I'm just sharing my experience.

Last edited by Giuseppe; 07-09-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Heavy is good.

Well, as I said, I don't think I'll get more than $50 for a virgin blue VM in unknown operating condition... so I probably wouldn't even both selling it.

But I think I should concentrate on getting a proper functioning gun to bring to the field first and then fiddle with my VM in the meantime.

Even if I wanted to swap my valve spring, what would I use and where would I get it?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
Blasphemer! Sell the greatest paintball marker ever made?!?!

I run my `95 EXC-68 on a Pure Energy HPA tank with zero problems. No modifications necessary and the velocity stays stable all day long. I don't see any reason why a remote line would make a significant difference. But, compared to the old metal CO2 tank, the carbon-wrapped HPA tank on a bottom line is no problem at all.

I'll try to find some pix to upload.

<edit> Here are two. Sorry you can't see the tank better.

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9...-9fjgWDX-L.jpg

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-d...-dPjhbDp-L.jpg

I was trying out a Smart Parts All American barrel that day. I usually use an older Armson Pro-Series or Lapco Assault. The SP AA wasn't quite as accurate as the Armson, at least with the field paint we were using that day...

Obviously, Smiley has worked on many more VM's than I'll ever know. I'm sure he can explain the logic behind his recommendation to swap the valve spring. I'm just sharing my experience.
What "setting" do you have the valve on? What is the output PSI of the Tank reg?

Smiley
Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Back in the woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamoussmiley View Post
What "setting" do you have the valve on? What is the output PSI of the Tank reg?

Smiley
The valve has the red mark in the 12 o-clock position, which (IIRC) should be the largest hole.

The tank is a Pure Energy Basics 4,500 psi, 68 ci. The regulator is preset somewhere between either 800-850 or 800-900 psi, depending on which web site you believe...
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #19 (permalink)

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
The valve has the red mark in the 12 o-clock position, which (IIRC) should be the largest hole.

The tank is a Pure Energy Basics 4,500 psi, 68 ci. The regulator is preset somewhere between either 800-850 or 800-900 psi, depending on which web site you believe...
Yep, that will work, plus the EXC even with the expansion chamber does not have that much internal volume, so compressed air output of 850+ will work good. Just a note though...Other VM-68s with huge expansion chambers have too much internal volume for compressed air. In the past, internal volume on the VMs was created to control the pressure spikes with CO2 which made the velocity super nasty.

smiley
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Back in the woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamoussmiley View Post
Yep, that will work, plus the EXC even with the expansion chamber does not have that much internal volume, so compressed air output of 850+ will work good. Just a note though...Other VM-68s with huge expansion chambers have too much internal volume for compressed air. In the past, internal volume on the VMs was created to control the pressure spikes with CO2 which made the velocity super nasty.

smiley
Holy carp! You mean there were (are?) larger expansion chambers than the EXC?

I always thought that the one on my EXC-68 was pushing the limit, size-wise. Sheridan did a great job of integrating its design into the marker, it worked well for CO2, and it makes a perfect grip, but it's still not exactly dainty.

Of course, now that I think about it, there was that one Black Rain model...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » VM Empire