mcarterbrown.com  

VM Empire Where the VM-68's and PMI-3 Come out to play

Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
2 VM questions....

Hey guys

I had a kid bring me a VM-68 that he found in his garage, he has no idea where it came from or if it worked, I screwed in an HPA tank under the barrel (no barrel on it) and tried to cycle it, it just burped/farted, maybe cycled, usually just sounded like a tippy/spyder out of co2 goin crazy)

I have never taken it apart, I have no idea where to start, or what to look for even to get it to work.

2ndly....
I bought one of those SR-4 chinese things that is a double barreled knock off VM-68, I have not received it yet, but what are some basics i should know about VM's?

-Stanchy
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
12 year hiatus over...

I'll be happy to type more from home... top screw at the back comes out first. Then side ones at back foe back bottle asap and other plug. Springs come out, remove cocking handle/screw. And bolt hammer come out. Cup seal/valve is in bottom front of hammer. Need a tool to adjust and easily install. It's. A long rod threaded to the valve and hollow to clear cup seal shaft. 2 screws at front holding valve. Valve has 4 positions to adjustment gas flow. 12' clock is setting.

Burping, irrc would be low gas pressure. Never removed asa I think its threaded.

Last edited by justme-; 07-06-2012 at 11:47 AM.
justme- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

What is the output pressure on the HPA tank? From what I've learned VMs enjoy Co2 more than HPA.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
What is the output pressure on the HPA tank? From what I've learned VMs enjoy Co2 more than HPA.
around 800 i think... this was a month or two ago... lol
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Have you tried Co2 on it? Non pin valve? Give that a go. Check all the orings to see if any are missing or dry rotted too.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Laissez Bon Temps Roulet!

I've talked to somebody about HPA on VM's and they said it just didn't work. Try Co2
"Check this out, each and every one of you. Compilation tape, of my own making. I call this the "Greatest Zooks Album". Featuring artists like, well I got some Hendrix on there, some Joplin, Mama Cass, Belushi... all great artists that asphyxiated on their own vomit!"

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
PBpancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

You can use a carriage bolt (I think 3/8) to take the valve out. Screw the bolt in THEN unscrew the machine screws on the side that hold the valve in place. Pull the valve, make sure the o-rings on it are still good, throw some oil on it, then align the Largest hole upwards and re-insert the valve making sure the large hole is up and that you can put the small retaining screws back in.

Once that is in, reassemble the rest of the gun.

Other advice... don't ever take apart the trigger pack (Keep the side panes on even if broken) unless no other fixes work.

And you should never need to take the front (chrome) asa off. It will come off, but there really isn't a reason to remove it.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Its a stacked tube blow back at heart, a very heavy, clunky stacked tube blow back. The operation is similar to a Spyder or Piranha but the parts are bigger. Make sure its decocked and remove the screw at the top of the body, as you pull it out the upper plug in the rear will be under tension due to the spring being behind the bolt on the top tube, remove that and the spring and spring guide will come out. Then remove the 2 screws holding in the lower plug and the screw thats used as a cocking handle and the bolt and striker will come out. Thats most of what you need to do.

If you need to get the valve out there are 2 screws on the sides of the body under the breech area, they hold in the valve. You will need a tool to properly remove/install it but if you put a few folded up towels at the back of the body and hold it firmly you can give it a little air and pop the valve out. Since you can make stuff building a valve tool isn't hard, I forget the thread but I think its a 5/16-18 with a hole in the center for the exhaust valve pin on a 8" long stick. Note that on stock VM's that the valve has 4 positions, there are 4 different sized holes you can use to tune the velocity. There is also a choke built into the bolt(think Tippmann, kind of), counterclockwise to cut off some air and drop the velocity and help it cycle.

They are a ton of fun to play with, while heavy and slow there is just something awesome about them.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
SS.....If you need to borrow a VM valve tool I'd be happy to loan one to you...I need to send you a barrel you bored for me back to you anyway as it needs to be bored just a little bit more so the insert will sit inside the barrel more.
If you have any isssues with the trigger assembly let me know maybe I can help,I know how to field strip them and put them back together in about a minute.
As for the Chinese S-4....good luck,those rarely if ever work correctly..even the guys that know VM's well had trouble with those.
LPPC Member #71

Feedback
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
12 year hiatus over...

Trigger assay is tough to the uninitiated but not that bad. I agree tho, don't take it apart unless necessary. VM will rum hpa, used to do it all the time. That's why i bought my 134ci hpa back then. They are very simple fund except the trigger.
justme- is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » VM Empire