mcarterbrown.com  

VM Empire Where the VM-68's and PMI-3 Come out to play

Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
It's all good

CCM Fan
Got a bin full of VM parts. Wow, where do I begin?

I fondly remember playing paintball for the first time. I was only 16 and I played with a rental VM-68 (or maybe it was a PMI-3, who knows?).

Years have passed and I haven't played, let alone touch a VM-68 for a couple of decades, until now. Friend of mine has a goldmine of paintball-related gear in him mancave and yesterday he gave me a plastic bin with what seems like enough parts to build two VM-68:

Then, there's this guy, looks complete, save for what looks like a 1/8" NPT port. What goes there? Air gauge? NPT plug? I'm stumped. I want to get a working VM68 and relive the glory days of my youth, but don't know where to start.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
I'd say air gauge or a hose for an air source

good score! good luck with your new projects!
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
[...]and yesterday he gave me a plastic bin with what seems like enough parts to build two VM-68:
-Not quite, it looks like. I only see one bolt, one hammer, and one trigger assembly. For that matter, it looks like there's only one spring, spring guide, and feed neck. You can put together one nice one, and have some spares.

Quote:
Then, there's this guy, looks complete, save for what looks like a 1/8" NPT port. What goes there? Air gauge? NPT plug?
-Any of the above, if you like.

However, it, and the upper of the two bodies in the first photo, are VM-Magnums, later model "upgraded" VM-68s that came with a back-bottle adapter and a side mounted air line.

In the first photo, the cylindrical steel doodad right below the "safety pin", and the mostly-hidden doodad under the edge of the clear bin, are back-bottle adapters. They fit where the AR-15 stock is attached to the mostly-complete one in the second photo.

There's an external air line that connects the BB adapter to the hole towards the front of the body. There's two seen at the lower edge of the clear bin; the upper one, with what looks like clear hose, has the BB connector fitting. It's a stubby L-shaped block that attaches to the adapter with a 10-32 thumbscrew. There's another L-block just above and to the left of the valve in the upper left of the first photo.

The body end of the air line takes the 45 degree flare fittings; there's one on the end of the lower of the two braided air lines, and another loose just to the left of the fully-visible back-bottle adapter. You can, of course, also use micro/macro line if you want.

If you can mix-and-match parts, take the lower one and replace the AR collapsible stock with one of the back-bottle fittings, and use the air lines to plumb it. If you have to pick one or the other, take the box o' loose bits and assemble one complete gun- and in that case, I'd use the SP expansion chamber and the bottomline ASA, all fitted to the lower (tiger striped) body.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all good

CCM Fan
Wow, thanks for the info Doc! I'll definitely mingle around in those parts and hopefully get a fully working VM. Will let you know if I encounter any issues.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » VM Empire