mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bland

School me on Angels.

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine is selling me an A4 Fly, and I have never owned an angel before.

I plan on doing the HP reg mod, but I would like to know if this effects the performance at all.

I also just don't know anything about them, so fill me in on possible problems, and issues, and proper maintenance techniques.

Thanks dudes,

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Finding a good paintball game outside your area is like trying to figure out which neighborhood is the best for buying drugs.
Current Markers:
The Modern Pirate - Convertible Feed Sheridan

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Before you do the reg mod you might want to see how the gun handles your current tank to get you at the velocity you need.

If it hasn't been lubed up for awhile you might want to grease the orings on the ram where it makes contact with the body, that helped fix a leak I had from my ram in my regular A4.

One issue people had is with chopping because the bolt sits slightly far back in the breech, something they remedied in the model that followed the A4 (G7). Having the soft face bolt and making sure your detents are in good shape will go a long way for that.

They don't require much maintenance IMO, just some oil now and then. If you don't like the trigger you can do the magnet mod which makes it so you have a magnet to return the trigger instead of the leaf spring, which instead get's attached to your trigger to activate the board, which is assuming you have the stock board at all.

The A4 Fly is one of the models that lets you use a volumizer on the valve side of the gun to decrease the pressure in the gun incrementally, depending on the size of the volumizer. Personally I think it's more important just to go with what looks good, or is comfortable if you like to grip the gun below the barrel.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bland

FYI the one I'm getting is Advanced's Bronze JD Fly.

Quote:
Finding a good paintball game outside your area is like trying to figure out which neighborhood is the best for buying drugs.
Current Markers:

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Ah, same gun internally as a regular A4 Fly, but with sweet *** milling

I love the stock triggers on the Joy A4 too.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bland

Alright, here's my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Before you do the reg mod you might want to see how the gun handles your current tank to get you at the velocity you need. - I was told I might damage the reg doing this.

If it hasn't been lubed up for awhile you might want to grease the orings on the ram where it makes contact with the body, that helped fix a leak I had from my ram in my regular A4. - I assume that Advanced took good care of his, and my buddy would have also, so this shouldn't be a problem. Is there a specific lube I should use?

One issue people had is with chopping because the bolt sits slightly far back in the breech, something they remedied in the model that followed the A4 (G7). Having the soft face bolt and making sure your detents are in good shape will go a long way for that. - Where would I go about getting a soft face bolt?

They don't require much maintenance IMO, just some oil now and then. If you don't like the trigger you can do the magnet mod which makes it so you have a magnet to return the trigger instead of the leaf spring, which instead get's attached to your trigger to activate the board, which is assuming you have the stock board at all. - Don't know the situation here, but I'll look into it if I don't like it.

The A4 Fly is one of the models that lets you use a volumizer on the valve side of the gun to decrease the pressure in the gun incrementally, depending on the size of the volumizer. Personally I think it's more important just to go with what looks good, or is comfortable if you like to grip the gun below the barrel. - It looks like it has a moderate volumizer, already. Not excessive in anyway.

Quote:
Current Markers:

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
chuff chuff

I just used Dow 33 on my ram housing. I don't know of any specific lubes, I use love juice for oil because that's what I happen to have. I would think they only damage that could occur in the LP mod is it your not careful removing the circlip and you gouge the inside of the minireg.

Another alternative is just to put a whole new regulator on, like a CP.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bland

No, I was told that using an hp tank in the lp reg would damage it.

Quote:
Current Markers:

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
You can run your hp tank on the gun. Also the a4 fly already has a softface bolt

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bland

Both of these things are good news.

Quote:
Current Markers:

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WDP