mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

A1 Fly - Sensitive to tight bore fit?

Has anyone noticed if their A1 Fly is unusually sensitive to a tight paint-to-bore match? Mine seems generally much more consistent with a large over bore. I'm thinking WDP knew this when they made the barrel kit, which has a smallest bore around 0.688 (0.689?).

It also makes sense with the lighter bolt/valve train that it might have more trouble stuffing a fat ball in the barrel. ** I have a D-Lite valve and a booster bolt as well.**

Or is it all in my mind?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
So a couple things might be going on here. This is mostly theoretical so take it with a grain of salt if you may. The angels were quite sensitive to the bolt size on the a1 series. Any spec of dirt with the "upgraded" bolts could cause them to stick. This brings me to my theory, if you are under oring the paint it is making a better seal with the barrel and inherently letting less air past the ball. The breach has the seal between it and the body. If your chamber experiences a larger increase in pressure due to the ball sealing the barrel, it may be that the air is wanting to move out past the breach seal more and at an inconistent rate leading to your inconsistency. Whereas worth a large note you don't have that large amount of back pressure and the air can more consistently exit through the barrel. Also to note, my previous a1 angels actually performed better with the original stock bolt. The booster bolts always sealed better and made for a little better efficiency but at the cost of the bolt dragging more and wedging tight if a bit of shell got in the chamber from a ball break.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Interesting points there. I never really questioned the booster bolt. I'll measure it and weigh it against the stock bolt.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
T-T

I had this with my A1 Fly. Had great consistency with the stock barrel, bought the barrel kit to try and underbore and got worse consistency.

I just ended up sticking with stock back... This was with the Gen 1 Booster Bolt. Not the stock bolt.
T-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-T View Post
I had this with my A1 Fly. Had great consistency with the stock barrel, bought the barrel kit to try and underbore and got worse consistency.

I just ended up sticking with stock back... This was with the Gen 1 Booster Bolt. Not the stock bolt.
Yeah, that has been my strategy. It's puzzling how sensitive it is.

Some numbers;

--
_----------Wgt.------OAL.----Dia.-----Length lug-to-face
Booster 18.92g. 2.402". 0.708". 2.242"
Stock. 13.83g. 2.373". 0.703-7" 2.205"

So, the booster is consistently larger in diameter, heavier and longer. Hmm, significantly heavier.
Yes, the stock bolt is a little elliptical.

So this has me thinking that the booster bolt is indeed a tighter fit. It also makes the ram/bolt assembly heavier, reducing solenoid valve dwell and trading that electronic dwell for inertial dwell. That in itself would add to the ball-chambering-force sensitivity, especially with the unpinned breech of the A1.

Last edited by Spider!; 10-10-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Has any further analysis been done on this subject? I'd like to know if the Booster 2 bolt is a worthwhile upgrade or not, given this particular discussion.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Has any further analysis been done on this subject? I'd like to know if the Booster 2 bolt is a worthwhile upgrade or not, given this particular discussion.
I've not experienced any bolt stick with my B2 bolt (then again, I've never chopped a ball) and the efficiency gains are amazing.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WDP