mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to beigemonito

thanks guys!

hey guys this is Daniel. I met a couple of you today at conquest with my friend David. Just wanted to say thanks for making the day great. It was my first time out and it was awesome. Looking forward to meeting up with you all again. I found that lapco drop forward w/ stock. Now I need a regulator and whatever else anyone can recommend for my 98.

Thanks again guys,
Daniel
beigemonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Welcome! This is matt, the dude with the purple/silver phantom.

The regulator we mentioned was a PPS stabilizer, found at Relocate - or here on the forums, there's a WTB (want to buy) section where you can post, and I am sure someone will offer one up.

If you get one, I'd recommend a rear velocity adjuster (RVA) and maybe a spring kit for your model 98.

The other alternative to all this is to just pick up a basic HPA tank. either one will net you about the same improvement in consistency/accuracy.

But don't drop too much into your 98, play a bit too, see what you end up liking and disliking before you buy too much, I had a few markers I put wayy too much money into and didn't like.

Welcome aboard, I'm sure I'll see you around the field again.

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to beigemonito

Thanks man. So I found this through that link: link
and I'm guessing this is what I would get. i also see that there is an option for a spring set. Would these be the springs you were mentioning? and how exactly does that work? Why the need for those specific springs? I'm a total newb to all this but I really want to understand how it all works.

-Thanks man.
beigemonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah, male is what you'll want... In order to attach it you'll need a vertical adapter:
tippmann vertical adapter - Google Product Search

This will make the stab replace your vertical foregrip. Then you'll need a macroline or braided hose setup, I usually do this at local shops and have them do the work of fitting it and/or cutting it in the case of macro, as I am lazy.

This will make your marker much more consistent, slightly lower pressure (quieter and 'sposedly softer on paint), etc.

but because it's lower pressure, you'll have trouble getting up to speed, so you'll want a spring kit (dunno how this store is, but it's the item you want)
Paintball BT Model 98 Custom Spring Kit NEW | Paintball Stuff 4 Less

and possibly an RVA, to make it even more adjustable
tippmann model 98 rear velocity adjuster - Google Product Search

Those two will make the hammer (attached to the knob you pull back to cock it) hit the valve harder letting more air out (to compensate for the fact that it's lower pressure)

All combined will make what would be my dream 98. The only other things are a decent barrel (I love lapco barrels, and PPS barrels. I also like dye barrels and a few others, the best bang for the buck barrel IMO is the J&J ceramic)...

I like the lapco drop/stocks, but I had a in yo face stock on my phantom you might have seen, and really liked that. They can be seen at Paintball Product | Paintball Guns | Gun Stocks and Blocks and Paintball Gun Packages . Look at the block stocks. I should have let you shoot mine to get a feel for the stock, sorry, totally slipped my mind. If you use a duckbill or other ASA, you'll want the angled block stock. If you use your 98's ASA, the regular block should work, I think. The stock angles down, so the angled block makes it so your tank doesn't hit, but the stock 98's ASA is angled... so it could go either way. I think nyoface has some straight stocks too, like the lapcos. Mine's the standard length, but I wish I had gotten the extended 14" one :/ Depends on what you like.

The whole setup will take some tinkering, but not too much. Just be aware it won't be plug and play.

Hope this isn't overwhelming, I know it can be. And don't worry about getting it all at once. I would start with a new barrel, then the palmers/springs/rva, then the stock. But if you know you love paintball and want to spend the cash, go for it.

Also, actionvillage and a few other places sell "pocket hoppers", like the little clear brass eagle pocket hopper I had, if you want to force yourself to take fewer shots and learn to aim, it's pretty nifty.

I might be at conquest this sunday, but saturday is far from likely

Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to maskedbacon

HEY THERE.

Oh. Yeah. I'm here too. Howzit?

- David
Old 03-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Hey what's up? I'm the guy with the LAPCO dropstock on his '98, I was shooting the silver phantom.

And what aqua said for said for sure. Don't spend too much money on your '98 I went through about 20 markers over the years before I went back to Tippmann based guns as my main semis.

TheDude's Feedback
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey were you guys suggesting a 0.684 freak insert for marbs? I'm jostling my memory here and I could have sworn the one I tested out was silver, but the 0.684 is magenta. I could pick up two sizes, but your recommendation would be of great help.

Again, my normal barrel is too big ... if you think between that one, my new stealth (freak) w/ a 0.684 is enough to cover most paint, that sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind picking up one more size just to make sure I never end up with balls rolling out, so let me know what your favorites are

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

the silver one may have been a stainless steel insert instead of an annodized (colored) aluminum one.

I've used a frantom/stealth barrel, never really did much for me, CCI barrel was fine, and I just used nailpolish detents instead of trying to fit certain paint to detent rings or inserts. So not much help there

Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I bought a stealth barrel and some inserts, and we'll see how they work out

We're thinking of coming up this weekend, but I've been having back trouble and my doctor says I shouldn't be playing. So my question is -- would you guys at Conquest mind if I ref a few games? It'd just be great to get out there

Thanks!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » West Coast