mcarterbrown.com

Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Sniper Leaking Down Barrel

Hey all,

My reliable, never, ever failed me Sniper now has a nasty leak. It's a heavy, consistant leak down the barrel, and only the barrel.

Long story short, I've replaced the o-ring on the valve, the cup seal, and the valve stem, but the leak hasn't changed at all. I'm running it setup for straight CO2, so red valve, yellow main. The valve looks perfectly fine, as does every part in the marker. I was told there was a very small chance that there's a stress fracture somewhere in the body, but I find that hard to imagine since the rest of the body is in great shape.

Help me, experts!
Sexy_Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Its not very likely anything other than the cupseal area. Did you change it with one of the exact same type? Maybe you should try a cupseal of a softer material or a new valve body. Or both. If a piece of metal went through the system, I could see it posibly damaging both the seal and the valve rim it seats on. Was it working on unregged CO2 before the problem started? I've never personally run a nelson sprung cocker unregged.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The cupseal that was replaced was a black magic, and it was replaced with another black magic. The first didn't look damaged at all or dried out. Upon stripping the whole thing down, the only thing that showed the slightest bit of wear was the o-ring on the valve, which was replaced. I guess it's possible that a piece of metal ran through it, but I have intense OCD when it comes to gun maintanence, so I'd imagine I would have gotten that out of there.

I've personally always run this Sniper on nothing other than straight, unregged CO2 and it's always worked like a charm. I tested it out, it shot perfectly, so I packed it up, brought it to the field, and then all of a sudden the leak started, and it's been like that since Sunday. Since then, before replacing the parts, the other thing I've tried was swapping springs to make sure the valve wasn't being constantly held open.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Alright, I got it figured out. I did a much more thorough inspection of the valve body and found a few small burs on the inside of one of the ports. I swapped the valve with another and the leak was gone. Now it's sporting a nice new Freeflow valve

Now for my new question: what's the best way of fixing up the other valve and removing the burs?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
I would hand sand to make sure that you don't fiddle with any of your tolerances too much.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Alright, that's what I was thinking of, but wasn't sure if it would mess it up too much.

Thank you!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP