mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Got it working

Wasn't the sear spring . Picked up a stronger spring at the hardware store ; I'll just say the trigger pull on a double action revolver is much lighter than the AC . It still didn't catch . Anyway , I noticed the backblock had some flex to it when I dry fired the cocker . I had a Tech T delrin backblock , swapped that out with another back block I had in my parts box . I also changed the volumizer out for a regular front block banjo bolt , and I backed the timing rod out a half turn to give just a little more delay between the hammer drop & ram cycle .

The AC is now working like it should . I think the back block was the source of the problem .
Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

I know I'm a bit late on this, but sometimes you can screw the pump rod in too far onto the ram and into the backblock to the point that you don't have enough range for the backblock to recock it, even with a shorter cocking rod. Basically you need to set the rod length to where the backblock rests exactly at the rear of the body when the ram is fully closed.

Might not have realized this when it was together but corrected it by replacing the backblock. I used to put a small bit of teflon tape on the threads to help hold this length too and keep it from "creeping" during use. Talk about frustrating when you check and recheck everything ten times over to find that it's something like this slipping out of adjustment.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

I went to the extreme on both directions with the pump arm at both ends . Well , it wasn't even the back block like I posted above . Threads for the frame screws are bad . The rear frame screw threads are completely stripped out of the body . It was suprising the screw even tightened down at all . After looking at the body closer , the threads for the front frame screw and the beaver tail are almost gone as well . I should have taken a closer look at those when I first noticed the helicoil (threaded insert) at the valve retaining screw hole .

That Autococker was a cheap Ebay find . I got what I paid for with this one . In the very near future this AC is going to be posted up for sale very cheap here . And unlike the guy who sold it to me on Ebay , I'll at least be honest about the true condition it's in . It can still be fixed . I just don't want to put in the effort anymore .
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

I hear zip-ties work holding frames on
Old 05-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Are you using a QEV or QEVs on a mechanical autococker?
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
I hear zip-ties work holding frames on
Lol , I was thinking locktite .

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Are you using a QEV or QEVs on a mechanical autococker?
Yeah . Is that a no-no ?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Yep, that's a no-no. If you are going to use a QEV on a mechanical gun, it can only be the rear QEV - the one that vents as the ram extends. Front QEVs make the ram return faster than the sear can rise to catch the hammer. I mean, you can make it work with dual QEVs, but it isn't worth the headaches, as you've found out. There really isn't much point in running QEVs on a mech at all, since it just makes the gun louder and less smooth.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to o_nothing

2 cents...

If its stripped holes I can repair that

O NOtHING
o_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

That's good to know . Now it just may be time for me to hunt for a new body . For curiosity's sake , what are some ways to make dual QEV's work ? The Ram was a Palmers (purchased new last winter) that came with a QEV on the front . I put a spare QEV left over from my days of tinkering with A5 cyclones on the rear .
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to o_nothing

2 cents...

If its timed right you can run QEV's fine. First you have to get the cocker running right.

worst thing is from what I've read it looks like you got a cocker that wasnt anywhere near working right to begin with so your pretty much starting from square one. Which if you dont have good parts or know how to build and time a cocker from scratch your even in a worse boat.

But yea as for the screw hole being damaged from the sounds of it and can install a set of re-coils and they'll be good as new. If you want even like I offered before I can go thru the whole thing and set it up for you.

if you have any other questions feel free to pm me
O NOtHING
o_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP