mcarterbrown.com  

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Cocker detents: Another question (perhaps last for a while)

Ok... I see that some of the late model autocockers from WGP have detents, and I notice that my circa 1992 autococker that I am still working on getting up and running does not have detents.

The detents are there to prevent double feed, correct? Because, the bolt pushes the ball into the barrel when the trigger is released (if all goes according to plan). Without a detent, two paintballs could end up in the breech, resulting in a double-shot or a chopped paintball.

When my cocker was actually working (poorly), I noticed both roll-outs and occasional double-feeds. I'm hoping the CMI bore sizer I have and/or bigger paint will solve roll-outs. But should I get an airsmith to install a detent to prevent double-feeds?

This is a RF cocker, so I think that only one detent will be possible. Perhaps either something like the F4 detent or the typical autococker detent that gets screwed into a hole drilled in the side?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

My oldschool minicocker came to me (used) with a wire detent installed.... nicely done too.

A detent helps prevent both double feeds, which then prevents pinching/chopping, and rollouts.

The sizer won't work completely as a detent (it will prevent roll-outs if matched to the paint) as the detent keeps the ball in the chamber area.. while a sizer will let the ball get to the barrel, possibly allowing another ball part way into the chamber.

E
Old 03-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to doicomehereoften Send a message via MSN to doicomehereoften

It depends on how important it is to you to keep it completely original. A good smith installing a detent on it wouldn't be a bad thing if functionality is more important than keeping it all original. If it's already pretty far from original and you intend to use it a lot, go ahead and get it done. I personally prefer wire detents (which can sometimes be harder for some smiths to install), but I think it's better than the standard detent.
I'm really not good at writing signatures. I mean, what is it that you're really trying to do? Write something that somebody's actually going to remember, or even read? Yeah right! Nobody ever actually reads these things.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by doicomehereoften View Post
It depends on how important it is to you to keep it completely original.
Yeah, I thought about that, but it is such a minor change that will do a lot to improve the usability of the marker. Why didn't WGP design the AC to have detents in the first place?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Possibly because back when they designed the Sniper in the late 80's, the paint was all .690+ and you didn't really get double feeds so much. They used the same bodies for Autocockers, so didn't really see the need until paint started to get smaller I guess. This all just conjecture on my part, not based on any facts.

That being said, my Sniper II was originally a '94 Autococker, and it also doesn't have any detent. I haven't had a problem with double feeds even though the paint at my field is .684ish. I just pump it quickly, and when I had the pneumatics on it I just made sure I didn't hold the trigger back too long.

As someone above said, if the marker is already modified in some way then go for it (my personal preference is also for the wire style detents). But if it's still in original shape, I'd be inclined to leave it that way and pick up a newer Autococker to mess with that already has a lot of the little convenience features like sear lug holes and detents built in.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Power View Post
... But if it's still in original shape, I'd be inclined to leave it that way ...
Yeah, I'll probably kick myself later.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP