mcarterbrown.com

Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

1992 Autococker - inline reg necessary?

My 1992 autococker has stock internals. I took off the inline reg and replaced it with a stabilizer (don't want to deal with internal adjustment).

But, yesterday, I tried chronoing it using just direct braided line that screws into the vert ASA (scavanged off of my F4). My powersource is regulated HPA at 750 psi, and I know that this cocker was designed to run on CO2 which is normally 500-800 or so in normal temperatures, and that the stock inline was added to the cocker design later in the 90s.

Using just the gas-through, and all other things being equal, I found that I could either get 260 FPS or 300 FPS+, but had a hard time getting the 270-280 that is ideal for the field where I play regularly (their limit is 280).

If I use a PPS Stabilizer as teh inline reg, will I be able to get more consistent velocities? Or, will I just be adding to my frustration due to having one more component to adjust?
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
My 1992 autococker has stock internals. I took off the inline reg and replaced it with a stabilizer (don't want to deal with internal adjustment).

But, yesterday, I tried chronoing it using just direct braided line that screws into the vert ASA (scavanged off of my F4). My powersource is regulated HPA at 750 psi, and I know that this cocker was designed to run on CO2 which is normally 500-800 or so in normal temperatures, and that the stock inline was added to the cocker design later in the 90s.

Using just the gas-through, and all other things being equal, I found that I could either get 260 FPS or 300 FPS+, but had a hard time getting the 270-280 that is ideal for the field where I play regularly (their limit is 280).

If I use a PPS Stabilizer as teh inline reg, will I be able to get more consistent velocities? Or, will I just be adding to my frustration due to having one more component to adjust?

Well ALL Hpa systems change output pressure (goes up) as the tank pressure goes down. Your cocker will drop in FPS as the tank goes down in pressure, because the pressure goes higher and doesnt let the valve open as long. So If you wanna go unregged Co2, that will work, as long as the days temp stays decently level. But Hpa will give you problems without a secondary reg, only an older Max-Flow would be recomended IMHO, without a secondary reg and Nitro Ducks older "Mega regs" were capable of not using a secondary reg, but I never really liked them (personal preferance). To answer your question, yes a secondary reg will give you better consistancy, once its set to the right pressure, you wont have to touch it.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane-O View Post
Well ALL Hpa systems change output pressure (goes up) as the tank pressure goes down.
Wow, I've never heard of that before. Isn't the job of the reg on the HPA system ensure that the air in the bottle (which is 3000 or 4500psi) comes out at the same, consistent pressure?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yes, but most regs aren't perfectly balanced. The input pressure affects the output pressure slightly.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I called PMI, and one of their techs told me that a reg should put out the set pressure (e.g., 750psi) until there is about 800-900psi left in the tank, and then the pressure will start to drop and fluctuate.

I guess the inline reg could, in theory, "smooth out" pressure fluctuations. Maybe I can get more consistent velocities out of my cocker by setting my inline reg at a lower pressure than the on-bottle reg.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
I called PMI, and one of their techs told me that a reg should put out the set pressure (e.g., 750psi) until there is about 800-900psi left in the tank, and then the pressure will start to drop and fluctuate.

I guess the inline reg could, in theory, "smooth out" pressure fluctuations. Maybe I can get more consistent velocities out of my cocker by setting my inline reg at a lower pressure than the on-bottle reg.
Well thats what they TELL you...........
A lil backround on myself. I did tourney tech for Air America for 3 years or so. I tested most air systems up to 2 years ago. MOST air systems will raise their output pressure, as bottle goes down. You have less bottle pressure pushing on the piston, which makes the spring open the orifice more, and you get higher pressures. Older manifolded Max-Flows were better about this, and I am talking 02 and older max-flows. They were good, but still not perfect. Nitro ducks "Mega" reg was touted as to not having to use a secondary reg, but the one I tested varied 50-100psi. Those tests could have been one faulty regs, granted, but I have heard many people swear they were the best. AA 'Geddons when properly maintained and lubed, would vary about 15-20psi, but I wouldnt use one without a secondary myself, it could go higher with other variables. A ggod primary system will vary its output 40psi or so (screwins are harder to make consistant), your primary reg only sees a 40psi change in input and that basicly means that the gun sees no change. The tank takes a pressure drop in the tank of 3000psi or so, to change 40psi, so a secondary wont change with that small of a change.

A secondary reg DOES smoothout the pressure variations that your primary air system will see. Thats why WGP started putting them on from the factory, it really made the cocker hum. Remember that once you set and sweet spot your reg, its done, you can leave it alone. Now a Co2 tank sorta regulates itself, as long as the ambient temperature stays the same, the Co2 tank will stay relatively the same, not exact, but close.

Bottomline, use a secondary reg no matter what, IMHO. A stock WGP reg works well on Co2, just set-up an anti-siphon tank for your gun and your set.
Or of course use a Palmers...............(My current favorite to use).

Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP