mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

I <3 my Autococker

Well, today in a fit of paintball boredom (and the fact i won't be able to play for another couple of months) I aired up, fixed and otherwise timed my 'cocker

i know it's shooting a touch hot at the moment, but in all of 25 minutes, i...

-Gassed it up and checked all the seals...
-Replaced Hammer Lug*
-Gassed it up again and got it basically timed...
-Tracked down the leak in the pneus from the last season
-Replaced o-ring in the ST Bomb 4-way
-cut fresh ends on 2 hoses
-Brought Sexy Back**

All in all, i love the moving backblock... so sexy... I also love the unique sound a cocker makes when it cycles [ Blat! ka-shik-thuk... Blat!]

now i just need to get the SS braided hoses and perhaps an X-chamber... it seems to run fine on unregged CO2, only concern is it's shooting hot, so i have to adjust the IVG.

only other requirement is to tighen up the timing a bit, i don't want to be constantly short stroking.

* Dang! it's amazing how much wear a hammer lug can take, and this one only needs quality time with a dremel to get it up and working again.

** Sexy may be construed as my red 2k2 autococker.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I also love the unique sound a cocker makes when it cycles [ Blat! ka-shik-thuk... Blat!]
Ever try one with QEVs?
They make a surprisingly loud "clack!" as they open.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I took my cocker to the field for the first time today after a month learning how to fix all its various problems (some of which I caused...d'oh).

Definitely an elegant and unique design for the marker.

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
Definitely an elegant and unique design for the marker.
I wouldn't exactly consider it "elegant". Don't get me wrong, I <3 my Autococker as well, but I'm the first to admit that it's a needlessly over-complicated design. I think that's why I like it. It's like a classic muscle car: it makes some odd noises and maybe doesn't always work the way it should, but when it does work the way it should, it's really cool.

There are very few paintball gun designs I'd consider "elegant". When I say "elegant", I mean clean, simple, sophisticated without being complicated. The most "elegant" semi-auto (and not that I'm trying to re-ignite the age-old rivalry) is the AutoMag. Very few moving parts. Simple to troubleshoot (even if most of the ones I've seen could completely defy their owner's every effort to make them work when they didn't feel like it). But, again, when they work as they're supposed to, they have a certain "refined" and, yes, "elegant" feel to them.

I only owned a 'Mag once and gave up on it mainly because I couldn't stand the fact that it would occasionally fail on me for no reason whatsoever. The Autococker may use 4 or 5 times the number of moving parts to do the same job, but I've found it to more reliable, or at least when it doesn't work right, I can more easily narrow it down and fix the root of the problem.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
I wouldn't exactly consider it "elegant". Don't get me wrong, I <3 my Autococker as well, but I'm the first to admit that it's a needlessly over-complicated design.
You're right... it is way over-complicated. Essentially, it is a blow-back marker with way too many parts that can break or that need to be adjusted. My pro/carbine does the same thing (shoot paintballs at 280FPS) and is no more or less accurate. The Automag gets props for having an integrated regulator, but the pro/carbine is even less complex and runs flawlessly on HPA.

MCB Feedback
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
..... it is a blow-back marker with way too many parts ......

Actually I consider cockers to be a single shot sniper with all the elements of a steam engine mounted to them. Think about it. There's a pressure source (steam is just one way of achieving a pressurized gas), a timing valve and a two way piston. If there was a way to connect the trigger to the last of the return stroke of the ram you'd have a fully automatic firing "stean" gun.

If I took the LPR, 3way and the ram and connected them to a wheel with cranks I'd complete the image and have a fully operational steam engine. In fact I could go one better. A CO2 or HPA bottle where the boiler would be and two rams on either side with the 3 ways mounted in close proximity on a staggered crank arm. Tie the rams and 3 ways to a set of driven wheels and I'd have a nice model "steam" engine.

Elegant? Hardly. Cockers are proof positive that Rube Goldberg is alive and well was working in the paintball industry in the early to mid 90's. Full of character and fascinating to watch? Without a question. While other designs hide their busy parts inside away from prying eyes cockers wear their naughty bits proudly on the outside for all to oogle and be amazed by.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Hmm...steam-powered turrets, anyone? Plop a boiler in a foxhole and you've got yourself a good time.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I need to check my dictionary...

http://www.answers.com/elegant&r=67

"Elegant: Characterized by or exhibiting refined, tasteful beauty of manner, form, or style. See synonyms at delicate."

You know what? I'm going to go back to my original statement. The Autococker is indeed a refined, beautifully work of paintball technology.

MCB Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP