mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Minicocker to pump: Unregged Co2

I have a minicocker that I added a pump kit to. I am currently set up with a vertical bottle where the reg would be...my question...most of the time with Co2 it works fine... it even chrono's fine...but when the Co2 tank chills a little or if I use compressed air, when I fire the valve will not close until I pump. I'm guessing that I need to play with the springs, but what am I looking for?

Logic tells me that since I am running higher pressure, the valve should have an easier time closing, but it does not appear that way. Am I looking for a lighter hammer spring or a heavier valve spring?

The cocker is an older 3 digit serial minicocker, I believe it has a palmer valve in it...but to be sure I would have to pull it out.

I'd really like to avoid throwing a reg and a bottom line on it, I really like the way it is set up now.

Thanks a bunch!

MNSparky
MNSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

You have too weak a valve spring, or too strong of a main spring.

One or the other. You need to find a balance so they actually get reasonable velocity out of the 800 psi or so.

If you have a minicocker that is a nice older one you should have a pretty much o.k. valve for using co2 so that wont be a problem.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

My own direct CO2 sniper worked out to use a strong valve spring and medium hammer. I've got a hard hammer in it right now but it's got the IVG right at the very back of the body. I'm going to swap it for the medium before I use it next time.

Of course "hard" and "medium" depends on who's spring kit you have.

In terms of spring balance once set up for the right velocity I found that the hammer on my CO2 sniper doesn't quite hold the valve open at all when not gassed up. On the other hand all my other cockers that are set up for reg'ed operation hold the valve open to some degree when not gassed up. I know that this is hardly a definitive answer but it may be a guide.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
BEO MAFIA

Send a message via AIM to rudz

does anyone know how many shots a pump cocker would get off a 12gram?

BEO MAFIA
rudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

There are so many variables when it comes to Sniper's that it's pretty hard to give you an answer for that question rudz. Because there are so many aftermarket parts, and the design of the stock parts changed significantly over the years there's an almost infinite combination of valves, bolts, springs, and hammer weights. I'd say the average would be about 20, but it is certainly possible to get over 30 with the right setup. It's probably also possible to get it as bad as 10 if you have a very sub-optimal setup.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP