mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   WGP (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/wgp/)
-   -   Just picked up an elderly Minicocker - Need some assistance (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/wgp/1544-just-picked-up-elderly-minicocker-need-some-assistance.html)

Hobbes 07-20-2006 02:06 PM

Just picked up an elderly Minicocker - Need some assistance

I just picked up this Minicocker. The guy said it was a 94. Anyway, here's what I'm wondering...

1) What kind of barrel is on it?
2) How would I properly adjust the LPR without a regulator?
3) It came with a Rock LPR on it but it's leaking out the little hole by the adjustment screw, does that mean I need to send it off to Palmers?
4) As you can see it's currently running off constant air, no regulator. I'd rather keep it like it is so I'm curious how reliable it will be setup like this running 800psi into the LPR.
5) If I wanted to put a pump kit on this model, what would I need?
6) I was thinking adding a female stab to the bottomline would allow me to retain the original feel. If I lower the pressure I'll need to change the springs right? Will the newer nelson compatible internals fit this?

Here's the picture. I do have a cocking rod it's just not in at the moment. Also, I know that's not a rock LPR on it, I took it off since it was leaky.

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/380...0Image0001.JPG

Thanks for any info you guys may have :gunsfiring:

Tesko 07-20-2006 06:30 PM

1) No clue.
2) Do you mean the velocity? If so, by the IVG. The LPR you have on there has a knob, clockwise (inwards) to raise, counter-clockwise (outwards) to lower.
3) Shoot him an e-mail, may just need an o-ring lubed.
4) Not sure, did you ask the previous owner what they were running on it? Perhaps a LP tank?
5) A "pre-2k" spec mini sniper kit, both CCM and WWA sell them.
6) Sounds like a good idea, not sure if the pressure will change so much you'll need new springs, but you'll need Pre-98 spec parts. AKA sells a matched set of hammer/valve springs for Pre-98 spec.

Hope that helps a bit, someone older and wiser is inevitably on there way to fill in the blanks and possibly correct me on some points.

Rayodder 07-20-2006 07:08 PM

1) What kind of barrel is on it?
looks like a milled Stock WGP barrel

2) How would I properly adjust the LPR without a regulator?
LPR stands for Low Pressure Regulator, it is funnction is further reduce the gas pressure down bwlow 90PSI , so it would blow your 4 way switch and ram

3) It came with a Rock LPR on it but it's leaking out the little hole by the adjustment screw, does that mean I need to send it off to Palmers?
Assuming it is a PPS, it is hard to tell from the angle or your shot, it might be an ANS. but if it is a Rock, you can buy a new seal kit from them, the kit comes with a set of instruction

4) As you can see it's currently running off constant air, no regulator. I'd rather keep it like it is so I'm curious how reliable it will be setup like this running 800psi into the LPR.
well it has been running without a regulator for years, one can rest assure it will continue to run like this for years to come

5) If I wanted to put a pump kit on this model, what would I need?
This is a easy one, a Pre-99 kit of course ;)

6) I was thinking adding a female stab to the bottomline would allow me to retain the original feel. If I lower the pressure I'll need to change the springs right? Will the newer nelson compatible internals fit this?
There are a few things you need to watch out for:
1st off Cokers need longer valve springs than the ones that is in a typical Nelson kit, get some Maddman Coker springs.
2nd if you really feel the need to go LP than you will need to replace the valve for something with a better flow,but IMHO leave it as stock as possible.
3rd thing you have to watch out for is that the earlier model Cockers has a narrower sear lug, which means the slot at the bottom of the body will be too skinny for the newer hammer kits, so you might have to machine it out a bit, also all the newer hammer lugs are adjusted thru the top, so you will need to drill a hole from the top all the way down to the lower tube and one last thing about internals, makesure any new hammer kit you buys is a plug type with a velocity adjustment screw in the center instead of a IVG that is simply a threaded cap.

But honestly keep the thing stock and play with it as it is.

Hobbes 07-20-2006 10:38 PM

Yea I really want to keep it as original as I can. The guy who owned it before me was the sole owner but considering the how the old 3-way valves are I think the Bomb was a good upgrade. It also seems to have an aftermarket bolt, it's annodized black and has 3 o-rings on it and what I think is a larger air transfer hole than a typical stock bolt from that time. The LPR in the picture is a Shocktech FGP, I put that one because of the leaky Rock it came with (it didn't actually leak at first, it wasn't until it sat for a bit and then it wouldn't go away). The regular size Rocks are self-rebuildable right? Also on the barrel I don't think it's a modified WGP. The black part is actually a seperate piece like on a boomstick.

The only issue right now is the velocity jumping all over the place. I think the female stab would help with that.

Tesko 07-21-2006 12:55 AM

What he mains in place of the IVG is typically called a Dialer. I know both Eclipse and ANS make them, those may be a bit pricey though.

rathbaster 07-21-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbes
it didn't actually leak at first, it wasn't until it sat for a bit and then it wouldn't go away

This is a problem typical of LPRs which have sat unused and unoiled for a long time. Its likely a small seal, easily replaced. Contacting Palmers is always a safe bet where their products are concerned.

-rath

Wycke 07-21-2006 01:20 PM

A few answers

Regarding the leaky Rock, that hole is the overpressure relief valve. If air's coming out of there, turn the pressure down a bit (counter-clockwise). Actually, I'd turn it down all the way and then dial it back in until the pneumatics cycle reliably, then give it an extra 1/4 turn (S.O.P. for adjusting the Rock or any LPR, really). Having the LPR set to high will not make the gun shoot faster, further, straighter, etc. - the only thing it will do is lead to blown hoses and excessive wear on the ram & 3-way.

If it's sat for a while, there might just be some gunk built-up in there that causing the velocity swings. I'd dump a bunch of oil into the ASA (more than a few drops - something like a teaspoon or so), air it up, and cycle it a few dozen times to work the oil through everything. If the velocity is still all over, then yes, a female stab will improve the situation dramatically.

As for going LP, unless you're going to run it on HPA and get free air at your field, I wouldn't bother. When I built my Mini, I built it to run LP, and it does. Right now it's working on about 250 psi input and shoots great, but it's the least efficient gun I own. It used to be tied for that title with my Vector, then I sold the Vec. Think 5-600 shots out of an antisiphon 20 oz. CO2 tank or about 400 shots from a 68/4500 HPA tank. Not to mention, if the temp is below 70 degrees, forget about running it on CO2. A quick volley of 20 shots freezes the tank and regulator (a male stab with LP guts). Now, my full-size, mostly stock '97 cocker works on about 650 psi input and I've gotten 1,200 shots out of a 20 oz. tank. Accuracy, range, and performance is practically identical. So, LP (except on those few guns specifically designed for it) is largely a gimmick. It won't make your 'Cocker shoot better, just less efficient.

So, to echo some others here, I say leave it as stock as possible. Personally, I'd probably swap on a newer composite frame with a roller trigger/sear set, get a female stab in black, and an 8" PPS black powdercoated barrel for it (with wedgits, of course). Should make for a real nice "sleeper".

Just my 2 pesos...
-Chad

Tesko 07-21-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wycke
So, LP (except on those few guns specifically designed for it) is largely a gimmick. It won't make your 'Cocker shoot better, just less efficient.

Wrong. A good LP operation is a BY-product of an efficient, high-flow setup. You just went the wrong way with your mini-cocker.

Personally, I'd try to keep it as stock as possible, find a nice shark-gill shroud that matches the circulation, and a roller trigger set to get that slick feel.

Hobbes 07-21-2006 10:02 PM

I put the rock back on it today and ran oil through it. It's still leaking though now it's pretty teeny, you have to put your finger over the hole to realize it. I definately would like to find a Minicocker shroud with the shark-gills, though I don't they are easy to come across. Does anyone have a roller trigger set to recommend?

sniperfan 07-23-2006 12:35 PM

Actually, the need for a seal kit for a Rock is usually unnessary. The "disc" seal in the center (the one which leaks 99% of the time), can simply be removed and flipped over. Rocks are actually really easy to work on once you get them apart.