mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   WGP (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/wgp/)
-   -   Bolt orings (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/wgp/214838-bolt-orings.html)

Law 09-30-2012 02:52 PM

Bolt orings

I was just wiping down my bolt and noticed the orings on it look a little loose, which got me wondering, how do you know when it times to replace the orings on a bolt?
(mecanical with a 2 oring delrin bolt)

toymachine 09-30-2012 09:53 PM

When they're worn :p do you notice any obvious nicks of cracks in them? Generally I replace all seals every five years, if not sooner. Obviously if they're broken it's time to replace them, but you already knew this ;)

How loose are they? Can you pull them off the bolt with your fingers (assuming you don't have long nails)? If so, probably a good idea to replace them. A nice $0.50 fix, so it's not like it will be a big investment - in this case I'd err on the side of caution and just slack some new ones on.

Law 10-02-2012 08:45 PM

Ok, yeah time to replace them then. They come off pretty easily, and the front one apparently has a nice flat edge sheared off now that I'm looking, oh and the kicker is that there's drag on bolt movement. Time to head to the store I guess. Do these orings really do much?

toymachine 10-03-2012 01:39 PM

What kind of delrin bolt do you have? I generally find that o-rings, even with delrin bolts, will help. It you keep them greased/lubed they'll last you 10k shots. Of course many people do not lube their o-rings regularly, especially those with o-rings on delrin (the whole "self lubricating" delrin thing is somewhat counter productive). For instance, with the new empire sniper, some have had problems when they've removed their bolt's o-rings (or even just one of them), while others don't seem to have. So it's really up to you, although...

I always suggest using them. Just keep em lubed! (they wear much fast if you don't keep em lubed)

Anyways, if you store is going to charge you more than $5 for these rings, buy an o-ring kit online. Not worth it to spend too much money. Tops $10, as sometimes I just need to have stuff immediately...

Yea, if there is a flat edge and lots of drag, even with lube, def times to replace the o-rings. Good luck!

p-bpat 10-05-2012 12:24 PM

I think they are the same as tank O rings. Check it out, you may already have them.
Pat.

toymachine 10-06-2012 03:14 AM

Chances are they as the same size as common tank o-rings. Not exactly the same (durometer and material) but often the same size. No harm in giving it a shot, as p-bpat does well to suggest.

MaD 10-06-2012 04:24 AM

Tank O-rings should be a 015. Most cocker bolt o-rings should be a 112 but some were thinner and like an 015. If you're getting a lot of drag, you could try 111 o-rings on the bolt if it used the thicker O-rings or a 014 (also work on tanks) if it used the thinner ones.

Law 10-06-2012 07:47 AM

I have a couple of rebuild kits, so I just tried everything that looked close. Seems like they are thicker than tank orings. There are some that look exactly right, but I'm still getting some drag, so I guess I'll Try the lower size suggestion, thanks that's a great idea!

I was poking around I the bst looking at pictures of bolts and wow, looks like there's a million varieties out there.

toymachine 10-07-2012 02:44 PM

you have no idea, well, maybe a little ;)

Law 10-19-2012 02:03 PM

Thanks for the help! I, ended up at the hardware store getting an o-ring size down as there was almost no friction.

Ok, bit of of newbie question:
So, I'm assuming I can turn the LPR down a bit as it should be easier to cock. If I turn down the LPR, does the velocity increase and I need to plan on backing out the IVG or are they not related?