mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Law
Geek

Bolt orings

I was just wiping down my bolt and noticed the orings on it look a little loose, which got me wondering, how do you know when it times to replace the orings on a bolt?
(mecanical with a 2 oring delrin bolt)
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

When they're worn do you notice any obvious nicks of cracks in them? Generally I replace all seals every five years, if not sooner. Obviously if they're broken it's time to replace them, but you already knew this

How loose are they? Can you pull them off the bolt with your fingers (assuming you don't have long nails)? If so, probably a good idea to replace them. A nice $0.50 fix, so it's not like it will be a big investment - in this case I'd err on the side of caution and just slack some new ones on.
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Law
Geek

Ok, yeah time to replace them then. They come off pretty easily, and the front one apparently has a nice flat edge sheared off now that I'm looking, oh and the kicker is that there's drag on bolt movement. Time to head to the store I guess. Do these orings really do much?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

What kind of delrin bolt do you have? I generally find that o-rings, even with delrin bolts, will help. It you keep them greased/lubed they'll last you 10k shots. Of course many people do not lube their o-rings regularly, especially those with o-rings on delrin (the whole "self lubricating" delrin thing is somewhat counter productive). For instance, with the new empire sniper, some have had problems when they've removed their bolt's o-rings (or even just one of them), while others don't seem to have. So it's really up to you, although...

I always suggest using them. Just keep em lubed! (they wear much fast if you don't keep em lubed)

Anyways, if you store is going to charge you more than $5 for these rings, buy an o-ring kit online. Not worth it to spend too much money. Tops $10, as sometimes I just need to have stuff immediately...

Yea, if there is a flat edge and lots of drag, even with lube, def times to replace the o-rings. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I think they are the same as tank O rings. Check it out, you may already have them.
Pat.

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
I don't wanna die, I'm a god, why can't I live on?
When the Life Giver dies, all around is laid waste.
And in my last hour,
I'm a slave to the power of death.
p-bpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Chances are they as the same size as common tank o-rings. Not exactly the same (durometer and material) but often the same size. No harm in giving it a shot, as p-bpat does well to suggest.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Tank O-rings should be a 015. Most cocker bolt o-rings should be a 112 but some were thinner and like an 015. If you're getting a lot of drag, you could try 111 o-rings on the bolt if it used the thicker O-rings or a 014 (also work on tanks) if it used the thinner ones.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Law
Geek

I have a couple of rebuild kits, so I just tried everything that looked close. Seems like they are thicker than tank orings. There are some that look exactly right, but I'm still getting some drag, so I guess I'll Try the lower size suggestion, thanks that's a great idea!

I was poking around I the bst looking at pictures of bolts and wow, looks like there's a million varieties out there.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

you have no idea, well, maybe a little
Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Law
Geek

Thanks for the help! I, ended up at the hardware store getting an o-ring size down as there was almost no friction.

Ok, bit of of newbie question:
So, I'm assuming I can turn the LPR down a bit as it should be easier to cock. If I turn down the LPR, does the velocity increase and I need to plan on backing out the IVG or are they not related?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP