Pulling right feed feednecks?
So I picked up a nice purple acidwash fishbone at SPE this year. While I was perusing the booths, I also bought an aka lightning bolt.
When I got home and got around to messing with it I found that the right offset feedneck has been pressed into the body incorrectly and the bolt won't fit.
The gun went on the wall until I got some motivation recently, and I'm wondering if anyone has a bright idea of how to pull this feedneck without damaging it. I have pulled center feeds before, but I don't want to wreck either the tube or body. I'm at a loss right now.
Thanks in advance!
Nobody has an idea eh?
I was talking about this with a friend and I thought about using some sort of expanding rubber plug to get a grip on it. Has anyone tried something similar?
He thought freezing the body and shocking it with hot water may work, but I don't want to seperate the stainless insert tubes of the body.
Just fishing for ideas here.
Cant really help with pulling the neck, but what about running a boring bar or somthing similar through the body and cut the inside of the neck down so that it works with the bolt.
While I do have access to machinery, I don't have enough machining experience to do this comfortably. I also really don't want to muck up the polish on the stainless tube inserts.
I would also like to get rid of the ugly line in the anno :p
I've repaired a few right and left feeds that came out due to abuse. It's hard to get them out without scratching them up, though.
I'd probably try to make a threaded plug that goes into the neck, and a clamp on the outside.
On re-attaching them, I'd scratch up the area of the feedneck that was covered by the receiver, degrease with brakekleen, and glue it in with good quality epoxy- In this case i used Brownells AcraGlass. JB Weld would do a great job too.
I would carefully run my pinkie inside the receiver via the feedneck to see if I could feel any sharp edges. Sighting through the rear of the receiver should confirm that the neck is 100% lined up.
use a reamer and flex hone
it'll fix it right up, wont muck anything up
i just did it to an old bonebrake cocker last week
I have an idea but I've never tried it to see it it would work.
You could get a rubber bushing(like a sway arm linkage bushing, something close to the ID of the feed neck), 2 washers, a piece of all thread, and 2 nuts.
Run the all thread through the center of the bushing with nuts and washers on either side. Tighten the nut up enough to expand the bushing so it's tight inside the feed tube and use that to pull it out. Not sure if that would make enough friction to do the job but I've used similar devices to seal up pipe.
Now I want to try this out to see if I'm just an idiot...
I'm going to give it a try however. I will let everyone know how it works :)
Combine the rubber bushing idea with a slide hammer and youre golden.
The rubber puller idea worked swimmingly today. A small length of heater hose and a 7/16 X 3 1/2 bolt with two nuts and a washer. I torqued the nut down, double nutted it to get a better grab and put it upside down in the vice. A good hard pull on the body, and the puller and feedneck stayed in the vice.
My fishbone looks much better now, with no ugly line in the anno. The aka bolt fits perfectly now too.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:25 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC