mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   WGP (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/wgp/)
-   -   Can't remove cocking rod (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/wgp/223159-cant-remove-cocking-rod.html)

ogti9g9 01-10-2013 01:21 PM

Can't remove cocking rod

Just got a pre 2k ( I think ) and I've been disassembling it to get it cleaned up and re oringed, and ran into a problem, I can't get the cocking rod out of the back, also, there's a brass screw in the bottom tube I the body and I can't see how to remove that.

Rage 01 01-10-2013 02:43 PM

Pictures of the brass screw would be help full.. The cocking rod is more than likely locktited in.. Really the only to get that out is to pull it all out, put it in a vice and heat it up a bit. I hate to say it but use vice grips on the rod itself. It should come out.

MaD 01-10-2013 04:35 PM

They both unscrew. Some people tighten down the cocking rods with a tool so they don't loosen up. Not sure what else to say.... They could have been installed with lock-tite which might require a but of heat but that's not terrible common. Pics might help..

ryanhall41 01-10-2013 04:41 PM

pics would help a lot. If it's a stock WGP cocking rod then it had wrench flats on the end of it. Most cocking rods have a set screw that hold the end in black that is located in the back of it or it goes in from the side.

some of the old cockers have a hold drilled into the side of the lower tube that get you access to a set screw that holds the cocking rod in place

if all else fails, put it in a video with either a thick leather glove or a piece of rubber so you dont mare up the end.

Kanadian-Kaos 01-11-2013 09:36 PM

Remove the knob from the cocking rod.
Stick two (I think they are 10-32 threads) nuts on where the cocking knob was and tighten them against one another.
Grip the nut closest to the body with a wrench and unscrew the rod.

I actually have the nuts in my toolbox for just such a reason. Vice grips on the rod ruin it and I hate seeing it done that way.

I am unsure what the brass screw is that you are talking about. Valve retaining nut?

Patar 01-12-2013 12:49 AM

the brass screw your talking about is either the valve lock screw or the valve retaining nut.

the valve retaining nut needs to be removed with either a valve tool or a makeshift tool using the knob from the cocking rod and a socket driver.

the valve lock screw is taken out from the bottom of the body after you remove the trigger frame.

at least that's how it is on 2k+ markers.

MR_Rick 01-13-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanadian-Kaos (Post 2590015)
Remove the knob from the cocking rod.
Stick two (I think they are 10-32 threads) nuts on where the cocking knob was and tighten them against one another.
Grip the nut closest to the body with a wrench and unscrew the rod.

This

I had to do this to get mine out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanadian-Kaos (Post 2590015)
I actually have the nuts in my toolbox for just such a reason.

and this is what I do for in case I have to adjust my velocity or what ever.

minimag03 01-14-2013 03:31 AM

It could be an AKA hammer. They have a locking nut for the cocking rod that's accessible through the lug adjustment hole.